Sign in to follow this  
Defunkt

Landing animation after a fall or drop.

There seems to be a rush on new CIT suggestions and I also have another for your voting pleasure.

"I searched "falling" and "landing" and was surprised not to find this anywhere in CIT already.

Why is there no animation played when a character drops from any height big or small? The engine obviously knows you've fallen, it assigns damage and prevents you from moving for a period but you remain absolutely stock still, it's the oddest thing and just needs an animation inserted. I'd have thought even without a mo-cap studio it would be very simple thing to create and could either be scaled or chosen from (say) 4 pre-defined animations according to the height/damage the last animation being a death from fall. The absence of this is terribly jarring."

I would agree - a stun animation (also needed for those recently shot) would do nicely here. Also, please allow a fall of more then 6 feet before soldiers start breaking legs and dying :p

*Once fell 26 feet onto concrete and broke nothing. Hurt like hell and my back was a little screwy for some time*

Also, the momentum system should be different when there is no soil under your feel. There should be a falling and post-falling animation imho.

Yeah, whatever they do with this particular part of the game, it could use a little TLC, I think. ^_^

I think there should be an animation while falling from great heights. For instance, you get shot out of a helicopter and just stand straight up while falling. Or you jump off a high building and just stand there. The guy should be flailing or something.

Think it would be just a bit more realistic and or more immersive if the focus was on landing in general,

as you can test out landing on the ground, get into a takistan house that has a 2nd story, a compound type house,

and walk of the 2nd floor and you will land may or may not be hurt but when you land its like there should be a crouched

animation or something, guy is stiff instead.

parachute drops mostly, body needs some weight on it the guy just flails all over like he has no weight.

I put my vote in.

As the game physics isn't able to handle good interactions between the falling/dying body and the ground or buildings (such as in Mount and Blade for example), playing a falling animation would be VERY nice.

Think it would be just a bit more realistic and or more immersive if the focus was on landing in general,

as you can test out landing on the ground, get into a takistan house that has a 2nd story, a compound type house,

and walk of the 2nd floor and you will land may or may not be hurt but when you land its like there should be a crouched

animation or something, guy is stiff instead.

parachute drops mostly, body needs some weight on it the guy just flails all over like he has no weight.

I put my vote in.

I totally agree. Is there any way to detect that a player has jumped/fallen (or get vertical speed?), and use an eventhander to change to the crouch stance? It might be possible then to make an addon.

I think such an animation should be coupled with a drastic reduction of falling damage. The consequences of stepping off a one-story roof is that you fall down, not break your leg or die.

I think such an animation should be coupled with a drastic reduction of falling damage. The consequences of stepping off a one-story roof is that you fall down, not break your leg or die.

Yeah, especially since we cant carefully lower ourselves down this should be simulated by just walking on the roof like we are currently doing, since adding an extra animation for this isnt really worth the effort.