tpw

Dynamic View Distance (DVD)

Cheers tpw ill check the hpp. Hope with some tweaking i can get it to stop at 3000 even if i have "400 FPS". ;)

Thanks again mate.

I've tested the addon and it's working surprisingly good. I think the idea is really interesting but it needs some tweaks like the maximum viewdistance (mentioned above) and smoother transition of fog. I think that the reason of stuttering which I've encounted a few times is too rough and too fast change in viewdistance. A little delay for every change of viewdistance and smoother transition would make it more bearable for the PC.

I've tried my best to smooth the transitions but I think I've run up against a limitation of the engine (and my programming ability).

Let's say the viewdistance changes from 2000m to 2500m. I could simply let it change 500m which looks abrupt and spikes the cpu/gpu. Instead the viewdistance is changed in (2500-2000)/10 = 50m increments, 10 times This takes about a second. In my experience this makes things smoother and is less work for the cpu/gpu, but it's not perfectly smooth. If I tried to make it change in smaller increments eg 100 x 5m increments, it would take nearly 10 sec.

Hi all

OK, so I've added the bikey for those that need it. I've also implemented a user selectable cap on viewdistance, which will never be exceeded even if your fps is smoking. Also, the addon now starts at your preferred viewdistance rather than the minimum viewdistance.

@muecke, please drop me a pm and I can make a signed custom version for you with the 2500m viewdistance cap hard coded.

Edited by tpw

Is it uploaded yet?

Yep! Check 1st post again.

Well thanks! downloading and give it a go with the latest beta. I hope I get both awesome fps and better graphics.

Well thanks! downloading and give it a go with the latest beta. I hope I get both awesome fps and better graphics.

I do, hopefully you will too. Better AI too!

sadly viewdistance still increases too much even with that new code line.

but nevertheless, i like the idea :)

sadly viewdistance still increases too much even with that new code line.

but nevertheless, i like the idea :)

It shouldn't. If I keep the debugging on I can see that it doesn't go past 5000m. Are you sure you are using 1.02? Older versions don't have the viewdistance cap. Also, make sure you use the new DVD.hpp in userconfig\DVD, which contains the extra config line.

Nice idea for an addon! Downloading and testing it out now, thanks. :)

I have a suggestion if it is feasible/not too hard to implement: It would be cool if you could have a similar option of using a multiplier to increase view distance when you get into aircraft, just the same as how the binoculars/scope multiplier works atm.

This need's to adjust according to height also, If you are flying the view distance should go up and down depending on altitude.

Nice idea for an addon! Downloading and testing it out now, thanks. :)

I have a suggestion if it is feasible/not too hard to implement: It would be cool if you could have a similar option of using a multiplier to increase view distance when you get into aircraft, just the same as how the binoculars/scope multiplier works atm.

This need's to adjust according to height also, If you are flying the view distance should go up and down depending on altitude.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. An earlier viewdistance script I used to run actually had this feature, but I haven't implemented an aircraft and/or altitude viewdistance increase in the current addon because the fps and hence viewdistance in aircraft naturally tends to go up anyway, especially once you're high enough for the clutter to drop out.

However, I will look at adding the feature and making it user configurable same as the scope.

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

New on front page at Armed Assault.info

Link to mirror :

Dynamic View Distance (DVD) (v 1.02) : http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=addons&id=1660

Thankyou! The more mirrors the merrier.

After a little testing and tweaking i've got some settings which i'm very happy with, this is a great little addon for keeping framerates up when things get busy. I actually set my minimum framerates to 2000 which gives me smooth performance without really noticing the view distance changes so much. I know it will benefit some people more than me but it's nice for my framerate to be able to go right up to what it can do 90% of the time rather than trying to find a middleground. Gives me the best of both worlds so thanks again for this!

An earlier viewdistance script I used to run actually had this feature, but I haven't implemented an aircraft and/or altitude viewdistance increase in the current addon because the fps and hence viewdistance in aircraft naturally tends to go up anyway
I know what you're saying and I had thought about that before posting the suggestion but I think if you implement it the way the scope is done then it could be better for everyone.

The people with better systems can afford to lose some framerates to allow them to enjoy the greater vd while flying and the people with systems that might struggle won't suddenly find themselves with a sub 500 vd when things start to get a bit busy. The default rate can be set to 1x so it won't affect anyone who doesn't want to use it.

Cheers for the update tpw. Perfect. :)

Regarding DVD for aircrafts (VD raise at higher altitude) wasn't there a problem in the original addon by Myke? Going to have to ask him as i can't remember atm. I think personally it worked great, but i kind of remember Myke saying it wasnt completely ok. Might be my old crappy brain though.

No rest for the wicked - here's another update, to 1.03.

I've added an "in aircraft" zoom which scales the viewdistance and maximum viewdistance according to your taste. It defaults to 1.5x, which doesn't hit too hard. Seems to work without problems, please let me know if you find any.

I've had reports of earlier versions causing server installation problems. I've been very careful with bikey and bisigns this time, so if someone can confirm this on a server I'd be grateful.

Thanks to all of you so far for the kind feedback and helpful suggestions.

confirmed, sir - bikey working now, thx m8

Great, thanks chaos!

Just curios but how does DVD_pref_dist and DVD_preferred_framerate interact?

If pref_dist won't achieve pref_fps which one is most important?

What would the difference be between the current setting options and only having the following settings:

Min_View = Minimum view distance

Max_View = Maximum view distance

Start_View = View distance when starting the game

Min_FPS = If avg FPS goes below this, view distance is reduced

Max_FPS = If avg FPS goes above this, view distance is increased

+ the zoom modifiers...

I'm sure the current settings make sense, but haven't figured it out. Please enlighten me!

Nice work by the way!

Just curios but how does DVD_pref_dist and DVD_preferred_framerate interact?

If pref_dist won't achieve pref_fps which one is most important?

What would the difference be between the current setting options and only having the following settings:

Min_View = Minimum view distance

Max_View = Maximum view distance

Start_View = View distance when starting the game

Min_FPS = If avg FPS goes below this, view distance is reduced

Max_FPS = If avg FPS goes above this, view distance is increased

+ the zoom modifiers...

I'm sure the current settings make sense, but haven't figured it out. Please enlighten me!

Nice work by the way!

Thanks TommyC81.

OK, here's roughly how it works: Preferred VD and Preferred FPS are basically values that you have determined that your setup should be able to manage. For instance, I know that in most maps I should get roughly 35-45 fps with a viewdistance of 1800m. So I put 40fps and 1800m into preferred FPS and VD respectively. DVD then drops the VD if the FPS drops below 40, and increases the VD if the FPS goes above 40.

This does not mean that your setup will stay running at 40fps all the time. If you move into a really dense area with lots of AI, then dropping the VD to 300m may still not be enough to raise the FPS to 40. If you move into a desert area with little scenery, then increasing the viewdistance may not be enough to peg the FPS at 40.

Maximum VD is simply the viewdistance beyond which the system will not go in an effort to peg FPS at your preferred.

I hope this makes sense. Short of showing the you algorithm I use, this is the best I can do.