Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Sakura_Chan's WIP thread

Hey everyone! This is my own little thread about my addons and such. I'm currently working on 2 large projects for Arma2/AO, which I will be posting about when they are more complete, but until then here are a few of my smaller projects that I'm working on

update jan 21, 2011

SakuGetinoverwatch----------

---------------------------------

Something I made today, it is basically a script that casually scans for when a group needs to board a vehicle. The script then calls another more active script that oversees the entire process, making sure that units disengage from combat and move to the vehicle. It makes sure that the unit doesn't get stuck behind "AI walls" or decide to completely circle the nearest building before entering the vehicle. Added a little switch so the dang chopper gunner doesn't "friendly fire" the troops that are entering it. I'm still thinking about trying to script it that the AI will pick up dead and injured squadies and load them on the chopper. pretty complex problem, as you have to account for the situation ie. The U.S. "leave no man behind" mantra vs opfor "haha Habib is gimped lets GTFO here". It is a very important system I think, As vehicles are what gives any army their mobility. The better you can control them or use them, the more effective you'll be in bringing the fight to the enemy. If you get killed because of broken commands then it takes away not only the thrill of combat but also the immersion. I plan on a CBA release as well as a stand alone module release.

-------------------------------

SakuMenuColor ------------------

A simple mod that lets anyone choose their own inferface colors. Complete control of every item, including color, transparency, and shadowing. Will include the ability to make custom 3D HUD colors for airplanes as well. It will come in 2 varieties, one which lets you micro-manage everything individually and one that only requires a few options, so you won't have to know anything at all about modding but can still customize the look.

hudmod2.jpg

hudmod3.jpg

(some blacked out parts are still wip)

hufmod1.jpg

SakuOutMap ------------------

A basic little gamelogic addon that allows you to easily move units far outside the map. Great for setting up dogfights, placing artillery at useful ranges, setting altitudes and flyinheight with less typing and can also reposition any synced units relative to the gamelogic. I think something similar was released but it still differs enough that ima release it. Its perfect for setting up B-52/Tu-95 flights...

sakuoutmap.jpg

SakuWeaponFire------------------

Originally released for Arma2, this addon replaced the horrendous non-directional weapon smoke with a different effect. I intend to update this mod, it currently does work with AO but I believe my effect was too light, it was perhaps a good rendition of a suppressed weapon but not a full auto rifle

SakuLight------------------

Another Arma2 release, I want to re-release this addon to bring A2 up to the AO standard, as well as clean up a few things in AO that I don't like

Edited by Sakura_Chan
update 01/21/2011

Random Stuff that I'm working on

I'm always tinkering with arma 2 in weird ways, and sometimes I come up with ideas that are useful but don't follow a path that leads to a complete addon. Here is a few "wouldn't that be nice" ideas (will be updated once in a while)

--Some kind of complete ppeffect-based nvg replacement addon, that could simulate different generations of nvg as well as SOMEHOW?? add real working laser sights that illuminate the targets, not just a cone into the darkness. in my imagination this could even be applied to AI units to act as a real line of sight system as well. Yeah right

nvg1.jpg

nvg2.jpg

nvg3.jpg

--SakuUnitEdit

After reading a lengthy post in the AO-suggestions forum, I decided to take a crack at making an upgraded unit editor. Oh, did I mention that I have no idea how to do that? You can make all the buttons ya want but damn if I know how to make them work. Some of it is useful like a larger scripting area, but I don't know my idc's from my abc's. I also don't know how the default mission editor really works so I put this one on hold for now

unitedit.jpg

--Addon icon tutorial---

I'm currently writing up a little tutorial for addon makers. It outlines the simple steps necessary to give your mod you own logo in the main menu (aka the little BAF logo at the bottom) its nothing major, but it gives it a cleaner look (Sakura_Chan's Mods instead of @sakumods) I can even link to this thread from inside AO heh. Not sure if anyone has used this yet I haven't seen anyone mention it.

logo.jpg

Edited by Sakura_Chan

Lots of interesting little things there Sakura_Chan, very ointerested in the mod maker icon/website link. Had no idea that was possible, although thinking about it I suppose it would be if BAF and PMC have it, With the different interface colours, will that have a GUI to edit the colour choice or is it going to be a config file which you change the values in to get the colour you want?

EDIT: Oh and it would be really cool if you managed to simulate older NVG equipment, would be a very nice touch.

Is it still the case that the mod folder can't start with @? Damn if it is.

its just a simple hpp file, even with mergeconfig you can't change the colors in-game. The icon thing is pretty cool, I think it could be possible to load addons as though they were dlc (ie not -mod switches), however my attempts to do it failed initially.

@ Defunkt

I don't know about that, I always put @ infront of my mod folders to keep them at the top of my folder :P

I think it could be possible to load addons as though they were dlc

Ah that could be very useful for people, not having to do anything to get a mod working other than putting it in a folder.

nah, you would still have to do stuff, its probably much easier doing the modfolder thing. If it was installed as DLC it just wouldn't show up on the right side of the title screen. Not worth the effort imho

hi Sakura_Chan

great project that you have, I can not wait to test it

PS:when is this your beautiful uh-60?:D

hi Sakura_Chan

great project that you have, I can not wait to test it

PS:when is this your beautiful uh-60?:D

THIS is something I would really like to know! The gunner animation system was something I have never seen, and would love to download it even if it were a bit buggy :)

The gunner animation system was something I have never seen, and would love to download it even if it were a bit buggy :)

I still have the animation setup for it, the chopper itself is scrapped due to it being in the ancient Arma 1 format. If someone wants to use it in a mod or something I could set it up for them. It actually quite simple to set up.

I would use your uh60 for a mod I'm doing contact me for more information

Sakura_Chan;)

I meant the animation system, not the mh-60l itself. It would be a huge hassle to import it to A2, change all the weapons, update the rvmats etc. Besides there are like 30 different mh-60s available for download.

I still have the animation setup for it, the chopper itself is scrapped due to it being in the ancient Arma 1 format. If someone wants to use it in a mod or something I could set it up for them. It actually quite simple to set up.

Could this action also be used on ground vehicles?

Also good to see you back, quick question will you at some point by chance be releasing a damage texture as you did for A1? http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/4-dam4.jpg

Also loving that color change mod, the gentle aqua greenish is far kinder on the eyes than the vibrant green and feels more modern.

Everything looks great and I'm definately looking forward to the out of map and night vision, as well as the lighting..oh about the night vision, does the light remain washed out or does A2 still try to darken the screen to compensate rather than remain bloomy?

@NodUnit

Yeah it definitely could be used on anything with a turret. I don't think I'll release a new damage texture, I didn't know anyone had a problem with the existing A2 one.

The nightvision bloom remains constant because ppeffects aren't considered in the HDR engine. The HDR is still working though, so any bright lights will have the usual effect of darkening the screen over time. It is easy to turn off hdr though using setaperture.

Impressive! Loved your ideas and stuff already since Arma1.

Keep up the good work, specifically looking forward to the NVG system... looks brilliant! :-)

@NodUnit

Yeah it definitely could be used on anything with a turret.

And it damned well should be - the mannequin-manning-a-static-weapon thing is probably the most prominently dodgy thing about ArmA 2. I laud you for developing it, and can only pray it makes its way into an addon soon so we can all realise how much better things look when hands remain on weapons.

And it damned well should be - the mannequin-manning-a-static-weapon thing is probably the most prominently dodgy thing about ArmA 2. I laud you for developing it, and can only pray it makes its way into an addon soon so we can all realise how much better things look when hands remain on weapons.

maybe in 2046, but a man can hope, right? :p

I know it might be wrong to compare here, but as old game as battlefield 2 has

better animations system, and its over 5 years old and ugly. But as has been said, the weapon handling animations in ArmA2 could use a "little" improvement ;)

update jan 21, 2011

SakuGetinoverwatch----------

Something I made today, it is basically a script that casually scans for when a group needs to board a vehicle. The script then calls another more active script that oversees the entire process, making sure that units disengage from combat and move to the vehicle. It makes sure that the unit doesn't get stuck behind "AI walls" or decide to completely circle the nearest building before entering the vehicle. Added a little switch so the dang chopper gunner doesn't "friendly fire" the troops that are entering it. I'm still thinking about trying to script it that the AI will pick up dead and injured squadies and load them on the chopper. pretty complex problem, as you have to account for the situation ie. The U.S. "leave no man behind" mantra vs opfor "haha Habib is gimped lets GTFO here". It is a very important system I think, As vehicles are what gives any army their mobility. The better you can control them or use them, the more effective you'll be in bringing the fight to the enemy. If you get killed because of broken commands then it takes away not only the thrill of combat but also the immersion. I plan on a CBA release as well as a stand alone module release.

-------------------------------

Quick question to anyone who reads this post:

How would you respond to a replacement of the numbered command menu? All tactical commands including targeting, engaging, formations, behavior, weapon deployment and medical functions within a hold-one-button-down popup GUI? Also a replacement super context sensitive menu that only gives one menu item at a time? Love? Hate? Indifference? I'm not sure how people will feel about this. What do you think?