Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

Aircraft Control - Poll

Turn or roll?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Turn or roll?

• Turn
    • Roll

I'd like to know who here likes the mouse assigned to "turn" or "roll" for aircraft and why. Alright go crazy, post away.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

I couldn't care less, since i use a Joystick :) And so should anyone else who flies more than a few minutes per game

I like to have it on default. How is that?

That is "turn" in the control settings.

I couldn't care less, since i use a Joystick :) And so should anyone else who flies more than a few minutes per game

I fly all the time, but sadly I have no room/money for a joystick.

Agree on a stick for fixed wings, but as for choppers mouse and keyboards is better. It still aracdic flight.

Ha, that's a negative. I get much more precision with mouse and keyboard. In fact i'm considering buying some pedals for better tail rotor control but sticking with mouse and keys.

sinse ive been playing ps2 and ps3 for years ive goton used to consoule style flying so all i did was buy a logitec controler and i use that for ArmA2 (<---greatest game ever you know it!!!) and i can fly like a pro.

I have two joysticks. I use my Logitech G940 when playing ArmA for a long period of time or if I'll be flying a lot. If I don't feel like pulling out my Logitech G940, I use my old Saitek ST290 Pro. If I forget to plug either in, I don't fly at all because I hate flying with my mouse. If I do have to fly with my mouse, it is on default controls.

Thought about using my PS3 or XBox controllers, but haven't tried either yet.

I have two joysticks. I use my Logitech G940 when playing ArmA for a long period of time or if I'll be flying a lot. If I don't feel like pulling out my Logitech G940, I use my old Saitek ST290 Pro. If I forget to plug either in, I don't fly at all because I hate flying with my mouse. If I do have to fly with my mouse, it is on default controls.

Hi Dice

You can plug in or hotswap controllers while ArmA is running now. So no need to restart ArmA. Just plug, in go into options, controls, disable then re enable the controller and Bobs your Auntie. Certainly works with TrackIR so I do not see why it would not work with all controllers.

Kind Regards walker

Hi Dice

You can plug in or hotswap controllers while ArmA is running now. So no need to restart ArmA. Just plug, in go into options, controls, disable then re enable the controller and Bobs your Auntie. Certainly works with TrackIR so I do not see why it would not work with all controllers.

Kind Regards walker

Thanks walker, I wasn't aware of this as I'm so used to games where you must have the controller plugged in before starting the game. I'll have to give it a try tonight when I get home.

Edited by Nicholas

Thanks walker, I wasn't aware of this as I'm so used to games where you must have the controller plugged in before starting the game. I'll have to give it a try tonight when I get home.

I have my Xbox controller and joystick plugged in at the same time, you can double up on buttons if need be, like my tophat is assigned the same as the d-pad on the controller for menu control/fire mode selector etc.

I only use the mouse while flying as a form of trim.

Turn... if thats default.... wouldn't know why I'd have my mouse bound to roll as 'A' and 'D' (left and right) on my KB are bound to roll as default.

Mouse and KB allow for the best control of your aircraft in ArmA2's arcady style of flight, which I like... I don't want vehicles or aircraft to be simulated more than they are, shit like that will ruin ArmA for public consumption.

slightly off topic but BI needs to start listening to suggestion and ideas other than that of the full tactical coop only players.

BI needs to start listening to suggestion and ideas other than that of the full tactical coop only players.

Yeh, somewhat agree. Just because they are loud, doesnt mean they are the majority.

I fly all the time, but sadly I have no room/money for a joystick.

An xbox 360 controller is a good alternative. Obviously isn't as authentic but it's also useful for ground vehicles and the analogue inputs in the form of the triggers are useful. I do wish that I had a joystick though.

An xbox 360 controller is a good alternative. Obviously isn't as authentic but it's also useful for ground vehicles and the analogue inputs in the form of the triggers are useful. I do wish that I had a joystick though.

360 controller is perfectly fine when you get used to it.

I've been using it for about 6 months now and it's great.

Ugh but it's (says in whiny voice) Miiicrosoooft! Besides, I have a PS3 right next to my computer, so if I were to just adapt that to the PC that'd be awesome. Never heard of anybody doing that though.

Ugh but it's (says in whiny voice) Miiicrosoooft! Besides, I have a PS3 right next to my computer, so if I were to just adapt that to the PC that'd be awesome. Never heard of anybody doing that though.

I own a PS3 also, and I hate to say it but the Xbox 360 is far superior. It is better for man sized hands and the build quality outstrips the PS3 one by miles, if only M$ put the same build quality into the actual console.

You can adapt the PS3 controller to PC BTW, plenty of folk do it. ;)

I was just thinking. In arma when you come in for a fast landing in a helo.... If you just pull back and dump the throttle you flare into the sky like a rocket... But I was just thinking in real life if you dump the throttle and pull back do they shoot into the sky as dramaticaly as they do in arma?

I was just thinking. In arma when you come in for a fast landing in a helo.... If you just pull back and dump the throttle you flare into the sky like a rocket... But I was just thinking in real life if you dump the throttle and pull back do they shoot into the sky as dramaticaly as they do in arma?

They most certainly do not. This is another thing I hate about the games flight. Also this goes back to what OpticalSnare said about aircraft "flying by wire", so to speak. The game automatically ups your throttle/collective when you nose up so you don't stall as easily in planes. Sadly this is carried over to helicopters in a very poorly done fasion.

I think under the difficulty options there should be a toggle to enable/disable automatic flight controls such as automatic throttling and rudder adjustment. Also the control for helicopters and planes are the exact same in this game. They handle completely differently, and have completely different controls in real life, so I believe they should in a so-called "simulator" such as this. Though I am more picky than most when it comes to aircraft so I doubt anything will change.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Turn.

For example, in a Helo, at low speeds the mouse yaws, however when you're at high speeds, the act of yawing actually makes the helo roll, so it's adaptive, whereas if it was always roll, it would make any kind of weapons platform use fairly tricky.

With Fixed-wing, it's the same principle, use the mouse on the taxi-way to turn the aircraft, then, while you're in the air, it'll roll.

This is all with settings on default, btw.

I'm a longtime hardcore flight simmer, but AA2 is not a flight sim so I don't feel the slightest need to use a joystick because using keys is just fine.

For general flight in AA2 from A to B, my preference is to fly with external view (numpad Enter toggle) for better 'attitude awareness', AND with the 'Free Look' locked on (numpad *)

This creates a comfortable sense of detachment from the plane/chopper as if it's 'sitting in the air', allowing you to freely pan around it, and you simply touch the four arrow keys now and again to keep it on track.

When landing choppers on a precise spot, I like to engage 'Autohover' on the approach, then (with Auto-hover still engaged) use the arrow keys to 'nudge' the helo towards the spot, in combination with the descend key (Z) and the left/right yaw keys (X and C) to land on a sixpence.