Sign in to follow this  
Callsign

DLC - Horn of Africa/ Arabian Gulf area

Perhaps a flash of inspiration, perhaps not...

A DLC based around Somalia (Horn of Africa) and the region;

1. 1 Coastal map of Somalia or country of similar physical and cultural style

- For inland and coastal operations, possibly further divided into

capital city and open country maps.

2. 1 Sea Map - self explanatory

3. New Ship and boat features - to enable ships and boats to be more useful in Arma2 or OA, such as use of ships for artillery, medievac/ logistics to/from ships, static cargo ships for editor objects - use during campaign missions

4. "New" Units -

UN (Perhaps Dutch, British and Russian/ Chernarussian)

organisation similar to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Task_Force_150

Opfor - Government forces and Al-qaeda style terrorist organisation.

Indepedent - PMC forces and resistance style guerillas inside

government controlled territory.

5. New features - shooting from helicopters with sniper rifle, artillery from ships, defence measures on ships (ie. minigun), improved/updated medical system

6. Campaign Synopsis

December 2010, the Horn of Africa is becoming further destablised due to the country of XXXX attempting to overthrow the country of YYYY, which recently set up a new coalition government after 15 years of anarchy. Under UN mandate, the world attempts to stabalise the region and curtail terrorist, piracy activities and the actions of country XXXX. The UN organisation is sent to first hold off plans by country XXXX to invade, then to move in and remove the government. A country scale humanitarian effort is then organised. The US is overstretched and so provides minimal resources.

Mission ideas

UN -

You play as a female Dutch medical officer in charge of the humanitarian effort. Lead convoys of Aid, Treat wounded troops and civilians.

You play as a young Chernarussian marine, sent to protect country YYYY then advance into country XXXX.

You play a British SBS or Royal Marine officer, sent in to rescue civilians, disrupt terrorist activities and rescue ships in distress, Support Independent group activities.

PMC - Ion are sent in to retrieve country YYY "assets", as well as protect UN officials.

**Edit perhaps the one map could be mountainous and so snowy at this time of year - how about that for variety!

What do you guys thinks?

Edited by Callsign

Well, it's good to see a nice substantial DLC thread :D I personally think what you've suggested is very feasible, as I've seen several examples similar to this executed in VBS2, so I very much doubt its anything out of BIS' reach.

Meh, seems like we should branch out in to other areas since we've already done similar terrain. But I like the sea map idea, and the idea of playing as a civilian, it would be a nice change. Also, I like the idea of getting a DLC that changes CDF and USMC to desert. Although it would be unlikely the CDF would be deployed unless with the UN.

I'm not sure we've had similar terrain, Somalia or the Arabian Gulf area is very different to Afghanistan even though it is hot and sandy. Also the idea would be the Chernarussian contingent would be with the UN and using already released units.

This sounds awesome! +1 to this.

Any African themed DLC would be great in my eyes. Maybe BIS would finally, add some more variety(and quality) to African American faces. :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Somali Pirate DLC with a nice coastal map, perfect.

Navy SEALs vs Pirates.

CUTHktI8kJA

+1 to this

Love the idea if African maps in arma, I got Duala a while ago and have used it every time I play almost, and another thing that would be good is African animals

Edited by ArmAriffic

I like the idea but it would be once again an unbalanced DLC, and again we would use high tech equipment against, basically, people in Tshirt holding AKs.

If such a DLC were to be released I'd like to play as a somalian, could be far more interresting to use some guerilla techniques, a bit like OFP resistance.

And you forgot one important point about Somalia : the pirates ! Trying to take control of big Tankers could be a quite challenging mission :)

Or some sort of warfare campaign mode where you would have to attak regular armies to get weapons, vehicles, fuel, recruit new fighters among the local population,...During the whole campaign you would have worry about your different ressources (human, material,...) and it would dynamically evolve depending on your action.

My idea is you start as a Rebel leader, you have one goal : take control of the area. And that's it. No mission, nothing, you're just free to do it how you want. You could start by recruiting new fighters, or attack some weapons depot (you would have to take them back to your HQ so you could/should also stole vehicles), placing IED on main airport to cut BLUFOR support, attacking oil tanker to get more money, and so on

I don't know if anyone will understand what I'm trying to say, I'm tired and I can't find the proper word to clearly explain what I mean. Maybe tomorrow :/

Edited by Macadam Cow

Sounds like a cool and new idea Cow :)

Almost a bit like an RPG type gameplay. Though I'd rather play as a grunt, more so than a leader.

@Macadam Cow - I like the openness of your mission idea, i'm not really sure you read through my OP though, half of it would be counter piracy operations!

War is asymmetrical, someone has to lose which is why all this talk about making the two sides even is pointless unless you want Dragon Rising or Call of Duty style plots. If you have to make both sides even then developers have failed somewhere in making the MP or even SP interesting enough. A resistance style campaign is only interesting if it is asymmetrical.

@Macadam Cow - I like the openness of your mission idea, i'm not really sure you read through my OP though, half of it would be counter piracy operations!

War is asymmetrical, someone has to lose which is why all this talk about making the two sides even is pointless unless you want Dragon Rising or Call of Duty style plots. If you have to make both sides even then developers have failed somewhere in making the MP or even SP interesting enough. A resistance style campaign is only interesting if it is asymmetrical.

Sorry I was tired yesterday, I did read your post but it seems I've missed a few things :o

I'm not against any asymmetrical scenario but, in my opinion, for once it would be nice to play with the "weakest" side.

Not a bad idea, I could get behind this. Shooting from vehicles while traveling would be a nice feature, too - that should come in a patch (or in a new version of the game.)