Sign in to follow this  
millerhighlife

Screen tearing?

Well, FINALLY, I just finished building my computer, and installed windows 7 ult, and Arma C.O

Specs

Case Cooler master 932

Cpu: i-7 950

mobo: p6x58d-e asus

ram: 6 gigs 1600mhz

Video: evga 580 black ops edition

monitor: samsung p2350 1920x180 2ms r.t

Anyone with a similar rig (bangtail) wanna tell me there video settings so I dont have to fart around with them. I would like detailed description of settings, as I'm getting a good fps but I'm getting awful screen tearing, what is causing this?

You should probably post your current settings as well as your hardware.

I think enabling vsync and reducing view distance are most likely to reduce it (though i'm sure you have tried that). I get it with a 32" Samsung TV but not with my 20" LG tv/moniter, but i'm guessing your moniter isn't the problem.

I got a similar system, no noticeable screen tearing even with Vysnc off. I can see it sometimes on the map desert but its hardly noticeable, maybe turn on Vsync?

Common mistake of new computer builds is View Distance set way too high... Could that be it?

Specs

Case Cooler master 932

Cpu: i-7 950

mobo: p6x58d-e asus

ram: 6 gigs 1600mhz

Video: evga 580 black ops edition

monitor: samsung p2350 1920x180 2ms r.t

I dont know about the hardware but based on ur case I would say definately all Very High :p

Also I have to say it would be pretty difficult to play with such a weird resolution :D

set the refresh rate in game to be higher than that of your video setting refresh rate. enabling vsync makes the game feel sluggish from my experience, but it will remove screen tearing.

I think 3500 is enough for most maps.

Turn on Vsync and tell us if that was the problem.

Ok, yeah of course v-sync works, But should i exchange my samsung for an lg, I hve a i7950 and an evga 580, but i shouldnt have to run v sync if the monitor is the issue. I get good frame rate, but even for a a extra 5 frames ith vsync off (correct) wouldnt it be worth the exchange?

set the refresh rate in game to be higher than that of your video setting refresh rate. enabling vsync makes the game feel sluggish from my experience, but it will remove screen tearing.

how do I do this, I cant find any thing to change the refresh rate in game?

how do I do this, I cant find any thing to change the refresh rate in game?

The V-sync is vertical synchronization which means that when your GPU and CPU aren't in synchronization, you'll have screen tearing. This happens when your PC can run the game in more FPS than your screen can show as refresh rate or Hz which leads to screen tearing as the GPU and CPU are trying to show a different picture on your screen. V-sync limits your FPS to your screen refresh rate so you won't get screen tearing and your PC will run more silent and calmer as it won't be using the maximum potential processing power.

However, if you do not get ALL THE TIME in any situation possible, do not use V-Sync if you get mouse lag and/or other delays.

TL;DR for lazy people, V-sync prevents screen tearing.

Edited by Primarch

V-sync's entire purpose is pretty much to stop screen tearing, and make sure your GPU isn't working harder than it needs to of course. I mean if you're on a 60Hz monitor you only need 60fps, there's no point in having any more cause you can't even see them, and also the image will start to tear.

Biggest problem with vsync is when you drop below 60 fps you drop down to 30 fps effective. Go below that you get 20 fps.

edit: if you want the fps AND no tearing you can try the direct3d overrider tool to force triple buffering. I dont know if it works, the game seems a bit smoother with vsync and tribuff than with just vsync. but that might be my imagination, you cant see vsync effects with fraps.

nvidia control panel also has a tribuff option, that used to be just for opengl, dont know if it works for direct3d yet.

Edited by Leon86