Sign in to follow this  
Muahaha

Personalizing unit faces

Arma2 or OA units seems to get the same set of faces or feature for BLUFOR, which lacks in personalization such as wearing a tactical glass or any other items that will individualize the unit further.

It seems all too plain and generic now.

I am hoping maybe BIS will do a simple module or something just to do that little extra touch so that we aren't playing a game of clone soldiers, which somehow became a mood killer currently.

facial mapping would be cool, Rainbow 6 on the xbox360 has an option to add your own face to the game and it is very effective all you had to do was take a picture from the front and one from the side and the program automatically blends the two images to create the model, if arma had an option like that it would be pretty sweet online seeing all the people your playing against.

it enhances the online component of the game, and i havnt looked at that link so you tell me lol.

Ego aside, how does this enhance combat?

Well it doesn't. It will just enhance the atmosphere of the game.

As most of the AI units you have with you normally are probably cloned out of the lab or twins or triplet or quadruplet.

It's a simple request I hope, as all the necessary items are already in-game, just when the game engine "generate" AI units, why not use those in-game asset to personalize or individualize the AI units rather than just plain old same AI.

Just generate a squad of 10 and you will see that majority of them have the same exact face. So just to add more flavor get those game asset like glasses... etc on them.

Isn't this just the same request/suggestion like this:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=111534

Ah.. honestly I didn't go through that thread as well.... But from that thread, I believe it's more of customizing our own avatar rather than the generic AI units fighting along with you. So it's 2 different thing I guess... :)

Edited by Muahaha

no personalized face. need personalized combat goggles because the tacticool glasses are ugly

I think we need more control overall on the customization of avatars. Right now it's pretty much impossible to really identify any unit. I know in VBS2 there are commands to change things such as height and weight, and these would definitely help make each of the units seem more like individuals.

Oh yeah I want a fatty with a thin face, amirite? I want a working 3D editor first, thank you.

Would rather fight than play dress-up Barbie. :rolleyes:

Like it or not, ArmA is a combat sim not some MMORG. The focus is on fighting, particularly infantry and armor. Any role-playing capability is

largely up to mods adjusting individual soldier models, face, uniforms, etc.

The game engine is not designed to support morphing the underlaying skeletal structure - so making a soldier more or less bulky/tall on the fly is not feasible.

Don't think BIS should expend the resources to support adding that capability either. They have limited time and people, tasking them with such an off-topic feature would be a great waste when far more important things are needed.

Would rather fight than play dress-up Barbie. :rolleyes:

Like it or not, ArmA is a combat sim not some MMORG. The focus is on fighting, particularly infantry and armor. Any role-playing capability is

largely up to mods adjusting individual soldier models, face, uniforms, etc.

The game engine is not designed to support morphing the underlaying skeletal structure - so making a soldier more or less bulky/tall on the fly is not feasible.

Don't think BIS should expend the resources to support adding that capability either. They have limited time and people, tasking them with such an off-topic feature would be a great waste when far more important things are needed.

Playing Barbie? hahaha... well...aren't everyone doing that with all the various types of camo. You can argue that it's for blending into the environment... but do the AI really see it that way?

Anyway, main thing I am trying to suggest is to use existing asset ingame to enhance further the gameplay. For some immersion comes in the form of realistic physics and gun firing sound while for others it may be as simple as having various faces in game.

This is still a suggestion thread and I don't think an idea such as this would anyway hinder or change BIS's design direction of this game becoming Mil-sim to Sim 4....

The AI are given random faces (well, random identities picked out of a supposedly diverse pool). The problem is that I find most of the faces look too similar. Nothing a mod can't fix though.