Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Hucksake

Please help, tearing my hair out with this prob!

Hi folks,

I posted awhile ago about a prob i've been having with this game. Apart from all the buggy AI woes and a retarded chopper pilot crashing it's really starting to get to me now.

My system is an i7 950, 6GB Corsair XMS ram, 6870s Crossfire, game running off a 60GB OCZ SSD.

The first main gripe i'm having is negative scaling in Crossfire, but that's the least of my troubles.

I made a video with FRAPS, pretty much sums it up. Textures, awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oG9kRmqR-E

Even worse, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZgZZxnJTCE

Tried using start up parameters to no avail. i.e -winxp

I have tried tons of different graphic settings, i've uninstalled Catalyst profiles. Unfortunately I can't really go back in display drivers cos 10.10d and e are the only ones that support the 6870 series.

I have no idea what to do here. Frame rates are also lower when using Crossfire, texture issues aside.

Looking around, was under the impression these issues had been resolved ages ago.

Arrowhead works fine, just any of the Arma 2 campaigns in Combined Ops or Vanilla show up these annoying problems. It's practically unplayable unless I disable crossfire, not nice having a £200 brick sat inside your machine.

Oh, and did I say the chopper pilot AI is retarded. Set him down in a clear open field and he will find a way to crash? WTF is that about.

Pleeeeeease somebody help me, its driving me nuts.

Cheers

I feel your pain man,

but it will be said and I will say it but in the future use a descriptive thread title:

§22) Use descriptive thread titles

If you start a new thread, please make sure your thread title explains what you want without forcing people to

read through your post first. Thread titles such as "How in the world do I...", "Need help!" or

"Will we ever see..." are anything but descriptive. We do not allow these kind of titles and threads

with such titles are subject to be closed.

Lets start with:

is your game patched to the latest?

6870s Crossfire s your graphics card I would assume?

I use Nvidia, and never anything else so not sure if this is an ATI card or what you got, I have heard of it before

but dont know if its a low end card, mid range, or even high end card.

Obviously your having a graphics issue.

what are your ingame graphics settings?

Ack!! Sorry about the title, worth copy and pasting all that into a new thread or leave be?

6870 is a new card, it's basically a Radeon 5850/5870 replacement but when put in Crossfire it usually outperforms the 5970, 480 GTX etc

Why i'm so eager to get Crossfire working.

Crossfire is ATI's version of SLI you could say.

Settings 1920x1080 , Very High on most things but I turn down post processing and use low AA.

Even changing settings around doesn't make any difference. :-(

One thing i'm a bit mythed with, in the .cfg it shows quite a low value for graphics memory by default. I edited it to 1GB using someone elses figures but it hasn't helped.

6870 is a new card, it's basically a Radeon 5850/5870 replacement but when put in Crossfire it usually outperforms the 5970, 480 GTX etc

Mmm...6870 doesn't replace 5870 in any ways, 5870 clearly outperforms the 6870. About the crossfire thingy, my own experience with ATI cards and ArmA2 is that single GPU cards are working much better than dual ones on this game.

Just leave the thread you got it started, posting a new one would break another rule so u dont want that.

Anyways so its a fairly high end card, good thing.

But what is your operating system?

Also is your game patched to the latest for what you have?

I have a buddy that is a freelance computer tech that posts on BIS forums here on occasion maybe we can see if he has any ideas for you.

I'll let him, know, he would know better then I.

It's practically unplayable unless I disable crossfire, not nice having a £200 brick sat inside your machine.

The answer lies in your post. I understand what you're saying though. I have one beast of a rig and the game does NOT do my rig justice. However, I love the game so disabling 2 of the cards for 4-8 hours per game play? I can certainly live with it. So what I'm saying is, if disabling your CF does the trick or atleast helps, that's the way to go then. I do

Look at it this way; Would you rather have good performance by disabling your CF? or...struggling with FPS, and rendering issues. Out of comparison and a reference, here are my specs. That way you get a better idea what I'm working with. Maybe it will ease your mind somewhat.

• EVGA E759 Classified Limited Edition 3-Way SLI

• Intel Core i7 920 (Clocked at 4.2Ghz)

• Swiftech H20-220-APEX

• Corsair Dominators x3 2Gb

• Corsair 1000HX PSU

• x3 EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1GB in TRi-SLi

• X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro

• Windows 7 Home 64bit

• x4 150Gb VelociRaptors in Raid 1+0

• x1 WD Caviar Green 2TB (Storage)

• Asus LCD 25.5" 2MS HDMI Monitor (1920x1200)

• Saitek Cyborg Keyboard

• Saitek Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse

• Kilpsch Pro Media 5.1's

• Kandalf Full Tower Case (extremely modded)

Oh...have you tried the process of elimination?

Mmm...6870 doesn't replace 5870 in any ways, 5870 clearly outperforms the 6870. About the crossfire thingy, my own experience with ATI cards and ArmA2 is that single GPU cards are working much better than dual ones on this game.

A single 5870 outperforms a 6870, by a nice margin.

2 x 6870 in Crossfire outperform 2 x 5870 in Crossfire, they scale better. Which is why im so keen to get them working. :-(

igiveupll1.gif Come on guys, stay on topic. I'm sure Arthur doesn't really care to read this at this point. He needs help, not a debate

I'm resigned to thinking it's to do with the Catalyst profiles. I've read up on other people having similar issues in other games, may have to put it down to driver maturity.

Astonishing to think there hasn't been a single full driver release for these cards yet, just a couple of hotfixes.

Something that might help though, you guys with 1GB cards, in your config how much vram does it show listed?

Another issue with these catalyst drivers, I think it misreports the vram in DxDiag and the games sometimes pick it up from there causing .cfg probs.

Tried CAT AI in OFF / STANDARD And ADVANCED?

I run crossfire too... my settings are as follows (Go into CCC > 3D > ALL TAB :

HD: Anti Aliasing - use Application Settings - Filter Box

HD Anisotropic Filtering - Use Application Settings

Catalyst AI - Advanced

Mipmap Detail Level - Quality

Wait for vertical refresh - Off unless app specifies

Anti-Aliasing Mode - Adaptive Multi Sample AA (since you're on a new series card)

Try CAT AI in all 3 states... see how it goes. My ingame settings are ALL on very high apart from AA which is always on LOW.

Tried CAT AI in OFF / STANDARD And ADVANCED?

I run crossfire too... my settings are as follows (Go into CCC > 3D > ALL TAB :

HD: Anti Aliasing - use Application Settings - Filter Box

HD Anisotropic Filtering - Use Application Settings

Catalyst AI - Advanced

Mipmap Detail Level - Quality

Wait for vertical refresh - Off unless app specifies

Anti-Aliasing Mode - Adaptive Multi Sample AA (since you're on a new series card)

Try CAT AI in all 3 states... see how it goes. My ingame settings are ALL on very high apart from AA which is always on LOW.

They've changed how Catalyst AI works now. You just get three options for Performance, Quality and High Quality. Tried all three, no good.

Used same settings for other stuff too.

Tried unticking that "Enable Surface Optimisation" box too. Weird.

catalyst10.10e.jpg

There is something wrong with the .cfg , seem to have narrowed it down now.

I basically shoved an extra 1 at the start of the 3D_Performance figure and issues seemed to go away, not perfect because in the near distance I could see lower res textures but the ground textures were fixed.

It only reports having 300MB of video ram too in that damn .cfg file which doesn't help.

This game doesn't support the 6870s in Crossfire once you put the textures to High or Very High, the textures go screwy.

I reinstalled this entire game over Steam last night, not helped any. Windows install is only a couple of weeks old.

Nah, i'm done with this game. Spent more time troubleshooting than playing, £30 down the drain.

The textures in Chenarus is meant to be blurry

So people made a mod called LandTex

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6050

Unless you are getting that kind of textures in Zargabad or Takistan, then the real problem persist

It's not that they are blurry. They keep changing from reeeeally low or no res, to normal, flickering back again to low or no res.

If they were the same constantly, i'd deal with it.

Just cannot allow this game to let me set it to Very High when Crossfire is enabled.

Something screwy going on with how the game is recognising the video ram.

Arrowhead works great btw.

then name the game to other names instead, arma2oa.exe don't allow SLi... I think same goes to CrossfireX.

If you may realise that when the game does not reconigse the VRAM Properly, the Camo Pattern on the Soldiers will also looks blurry.

[P.S. Happened to me once on OA Patch 1.52 (Way long ago, once... only ONCE)]

I don't have an ATI but if i set my video memory to "default" i get a very bad case of artifacts and bad textures. Switching to high fixed my problem on my Gigabyte GTX460 1GB OC card

I don't have an ATI but if i set my video memory to "default" i get a very bad case of artifacts and bad textures. Switching to high fixed my problem on my Gigabyte GTX460 1GB OC card

Thanks for that. May need to stick it on High then.

No such luck with Very High?

arma2oa.exe don't allow SLi...

Arma2oa.exe allows SLI just fine and always has.

Edited by BangTail

My last ATI card did the same thing. It was a HD5970. I would turn around and see stick figures, green blobs for trees and brown blocks for tanks. What a piece of crap that card was. I spent over a month trying to tweak it. I fixed it by throwing that stupid card on the ground and stepping on it and throwing in 2 GTX480's. Wow! Finally, the game looks like it is supposed to be.

Don't rename the .exe. Catalyst has had crossfire support for arma2.exe for almost a year and arma2oa.exe since around September.

Currently running 2x5850s without any problems using the 10.10e, about to upgrade to the 10.12 that just came out. Couldn't hurt to try those. I can't help you much otherwise. Most 5000 series crossfire users had LOD switching issues similar to what you're getting a few drivers ago, but those were mostly gone by the 10.9s or so.