Sign in to follow this  
HotelDeBotel

ArmA II General Ban Database *WIP*

Hello there lads and gents,

My name is Hoteldebotel from worldbrotherhood.net

We our selves have got a server for ArmA II OA since the day it got released, and since that day, we have struggled with people hacking and cheating.

To make our lives all a bit more easier, we have gotten up with the idea to have one massive database located on the web, where it holds all of the people that other servers have banned.

We call it: "The Central ArmA II Ban Database"

So when we for example ban mister X, with the reason of hacking.

We simply go to the website, and fill in all of the information of the guy we just banned.

User X will now be added to the database with all of his information, and will be outputted on a list together with everyone else who is banned.

This way, a server admin can hop on the website once in a while, log-in to the site, and view the recently added bans.

Now he can see in the list, for example 200 people who have been hacking.

This admin can now copy / paste the information given out by the other admins, and ban him also.

This way, only one server will have to deal with the hacker.

Once the user has been added to the database, the other servers will adapt the ban.

Now he will not be able to play on all of the servers making use of our database.

I have already started programming this database, and I must say;

It's really coming together really nicely.

At this stage it features:

- Secure log-in page / system

- List of banned users with information such as: (Username, GUID, Player ID, Banned by, Date banned, Additional Comments)

- Ban Appeal page

- Search User page

- Secure MySQL Queries

- Fool proof

- Great usability + design

- Each game admin will get his own account

The website is still in development, so it is not live yet.

Anyone who would like to make use of our website, must be a server admin, and must be able to prove so.

The =WB= Roots will personally check if the users that are given the password and username to, are indeed server admins.

Here are some screenshots of its current state *WIP* :

2ltoc3p.png

n18ebm.png

2ibk9k2.png

6hrmzr.png

If you guys have any suggestions, tips, or whatever, please tell us here!

We would also like to know what you think about this concept!

*UPDATE 1:*

I am now working on a friends system.

Now you can manage your "friends", your friends will be other users of this system.

You will only be able to see the bans from your friends.

Edited by HotelDeBotel

This sounds like a great idea, but you guys need to make something like "request unban" or some way to complain about the ban. Since some servers have these admins that "zomg u keel meh u muest hax, iBanU".

For example, Mr.X is really good with M203, and he sees someone enter a building. He switches to his Smoke rounds, fires one inside, storms the house with FLIR-sight and sees the enemy trough smoke, killing him. Now, Mr.A was the man who died by Mr.X and his thermal scope. But Mr.A is an Admin, who thought that mr.X was hacking, because he got killed in middle of thick smoke.

I can't explain things clearly, and above text can get quite annoying to read. Hopefully, you'll understand what I mean. :rolleyes:

There definately needs to be an appeal ban and admin complaint section in cases of asshatery. Steamgamers has a system like this and it seems to work very well. http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/ down to "Support bucket"

Thanks for the input Kristian, I'll make to add that option so the public can request an unban! Thanks!

NodUnit, I don't exactly see what you mean :)

I'm sorry to suggest this will never be received well.

This system and idea has way too many ways it can be abused .......

Perfectly lagitimate players could be banned globally .....

Kiddy Clans could conspire to ban targets ....

Nice idealism, but this is the internet after all ...... idealism lasts about 2 seconds. Chaos rulez.

Gnat;1793597']I'm sorry to suggest this will never be received well.

This system and idea has way too many ways it can be abused .......

Perfectly lagitimate players could be banned globally .....

Kiddy Clans could conspire to ban targets ....

Nice idealism' date=' but this is the internet after all ...... idealism lasts about 2 seconds. Chaos rulez.[/quote']

Well said, I agree 100%. While I think it's a noble idea (which has been presented several times over the years here), I highly doubt it would work as planned.

Thanks for the input Kristian, I'll make to add that option so the public can request an unban! Thanks!

NodUnit, I don't exactly see what you mean :)

Well from my experience, I've seen people banned by abusive admins who complained on the website..I'm not sure if it is just the server or CSS in general but you can record a video ingame and of course take archived screencaps (generally video is preferred for these cases) The admins also have a log of the server, what was said and so on. IF the admin is accused without proof they turn a cold shoulder, if proof is shown they go through a short process (pending on how bad it was) and the admin's rights are revoked.

Additionally players can complain about others players, say X was mic spamming and Z thought it was waaay too much, issueing a complaint. Without proof the admins again shrug it, the player must provide VIABLE (that is in this case video with matching sound) to the admins, generally speaking other witnesses are also necessary so you don't get a case of "prick who doctored a video".

For banning they have a few simple rules, no racism, respect other players and don't mic spam. There is a 3 strike rule so say I made a racist remark or mic spammed, I would be banned for 1 day on the first strike, a week on the second and then permanently on the third.

The problem is the amount of information, containing it, interpreting it and making sure it's not some scam. In the end it might do more harm than good if you can't get a handful of honest and hard working, receptive people to handle it, this is no small task and it takes only one to ruin everything.

Edited by NodUnit

Thanks for the input guys, this is the sort of feedback we need.

It is just a proof concept, there is no guarantee if it will work.

And how it will work.

You're right Gnat and others, this system can be abused badly if they want.

We'll have to figure something out to prevent that from happening.

If we're not able to figure something out to prevent asshatery by evil admins, this project will be a dead end.

Edited by HotelDeBotel

Would be a great initiative to start in this forum , moderated by the people we all trust anyway , it is after all in the best interest of BI .

We have BIkeys ...why not similar for players in MP .

Banlink was a similar system for Second Life that had rather good results

The key is to make it so admin/server accounts are tied to their own list, rather than one global one. That way, you can choose which servers you want or don't want to use the ban entries from. Pushes good servers, pulls bad.

Provided I can filter by "Reason for Ban* and "Banned By* (ideally your query form will allow multiple possible values for each plus AND/OR/NOT) I would certainly make use of this. With those provisos in place it would be possible for a server-op to share bans with only certain other ops they know and whose judgement they trust.

Thanks for the feedback once again,

I'm currently working expanding the system so you can "follow" other people, this way it will allow you to only see the bans of the people you are "following".

See what I can come up with.

Edited by HotelDeBotel