Sign in to follow this  
PhillyB

Trackir 4 vs Trackir 5

Is there really that much of a difference in smoothness and reaction time between these two products.

In my opinion, TrackIR isn't worth it unless you have more than one screen. I would recommend Free Track, as it is free (the software at least), the rest you can build from parts found in any Radio Shack relatively cheaply.

Personally i think its adds a nice dimension to the game, but it takes a lot of getting used to. I have never owned the TrackIR4, but if 5 is the improvement then 4 would not have met my standards quite as easily. The fact that made me get it was the point : i like to play flightsim games for those its a must have. In Arma with infantry fights it can be hard. But your just have to try it out ;)

i hope you seen dyslecties video:

From what I understand tir5 has better resolution and better heat dissipation design than tir4. I have a tir4 (bought used for a couple of bucks) and I have not experienced any problems (you use the same software for 4 and 5). I mostly use it when flying tho and not so much when playing as infantry.

In my opinion, TrackIR isn't worth it unless you have more than one screen. I would recommend Free Track, as it is free (the software at least), the rest you can build from parts found in any Radio Shack relatively cheaply.
Imo one of the reasons for TIR4/TIR5/FreeTrack is for the extra awareness without adding side screens (and the performance hit by rendering them).

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

And the cost?, I'm pretty sure TIR (and obviously FreeTrack) is a lot cheaper than additional monitors (and GFX card to drive them).

Yeah you do NOT need an extra screen for TrackIR. As far as I'm aware, TrackIR 5 has more resolution, faster update and wider angle than TrackIR 4. I would just go for the best solution myself, I'm currently using TrackIR 3 perfectly well, but I'm going to upgrade to 5 for the angle increase.

I would have to disagree, having a single display makes it even more worthwhile as you can make up for your peripheral vision loss a little by looking around.

The Freetrack part I agree with though, I own a TrackIR but would recommend checking out the alternatives first. I only got TrackIR as freetrack wasn't supported by ARMA2 at the time, it was a fair expense for what I really only use in a couple of games.

But it is worth it in the end whatever method you choose, I miss it in any game that doesn't support it now and find myself trying to look round and feeling a little claustrophobic without it.

One thing worth mentioning TrackIR vs Freetrack (even though that isn't the exact topic here :)) : Freetrack uses the CPU for tracking solve, while the TrackIR is a hardware solve i.e. the unit does it not the CPU.

i have trackpoint 4. it works very damn well when in flying etc. great product and responsive product support that goes far beyond what most other companies I've dealt with provide.

honestly totally not sure the value of using trackIR when on foot but when in heli or aircraft it makes all the difference and the game feel SO MUCH more immersive. very well worth it for that.

your question was TrckIR4 vs 5? sorry cant help but 4 'feels' smooth as already to me.

I used freetrack before getting TrackIR-5

Freetrack is good to get an idea of what it feels like to use in ARMA but the TrackIR-5 is much faster/smoother to respond and does use less CPU.

It took me alot of tweaking to set up the response curves the way that feels natural but now I look around while running and leaning around corners which gives much better situational awareness. Its true that the real BIG advantage of this is when flying, especially helicopters. Its a completely new experience.

Try Freetrack and if you like it but want to "upgrade" then look for a second hand TrackIR-4 or go all the way to TrackIR-5.

Edited by EDcase

i'd have to say that it's waluble, not just when flying, but as infantry aswell.

I've having trouble playing games not suporting it now, gotten so used to it

If you spend abit of time learning to use the hat on a joystick to look around you wont need any head tracking, just double tap alt and away you go.

Well, let me warn you.

If you make the step towards TIR (and give it time to get used to it), you cant and you dont want to go back.

The only thing that is a contra for this product... you will turn your head in every other game to, which of course, isnt supportet in those games (exept flysim's of course)

I had both, TIR4 & 5 and i would suggest you take the little extra bucks and buy the TIR5. Alone the new magnetic mount is it worth :)

And dont forget your TrackClipPro, otherwise you will look like a freak with a cap in front of your screen :rolleyes: :D

Its highly recommended to play the game on a real smooth FPS, otherwise the lagging view will do more damage than good. A triplescreen system is absolutly not required, bot highly recommended

TrackIR 4 is already good enough. ArmA 2 doesn't even use all the features of TrackIR 4 such as 6 degree depth of field freedom which actually sticks your head in a 3D space rather than just pan tilt and zoom, TrackIR 5 is a slight improved version but like someone else said its the same software as in TrackIR 4.