Sign in to follow this  
starstreams

nVidea 400 series, 460, 470...ect Blurry textures

There seems to be an issue with 400 series nVidea cards and ArmA-II, AO ...where certain "ground" textures are not being rendered in detail, but rather showing up extremely blurry. I have been contacted by a few members already with this same issue, here and on other forums.

The problem is, we don't know if this is hardware, or software driver, or even a technology conflict.

I was hoping that members "specifically" using these new nVidea 400 series cards could post solutions here. The main nVidea thread is too generalized with too many card model variants. This is getting to be a very annoying issue.

I've gone to other hardware forums to troubleshoot this, but it's useless because the issue only pertains to the Arma, AO, game. None of the other applications or games I've run have had any such issues with the 400 card. Please post any solutions or findings to this problem.

Thanks

Edited by starstreams

go into your nvidia 3D CP and set your mipmap Quality to higher? make sure everything is set right in your Arma Profile (nvidia profile)

Well I'm using a GTX260 and I also get this kind of "problem".But it only happens in more intense situations like combat in cities/villages.Otherwise everything's fine.I have recently replaced my good old 8800 ('cause it burned out lol) and I used to get the same texture "swapping" with it too.I remember getting the same "texture swapping" in ArmA 1.The only thing I've changed in my rig since ArmA 1 is my VGA,so something else might be the problem.Would be nice if the TC could post his full specs.I'm running on Windows XP 32.Hope the info helps and maybe tomorrow I can post a pic (it's 0:35 here atm).

For those of you who are "not" having this issue, Are these overclocked retail cards you're using?

Here are two examples, and whats odd is that when this happens not all the textures are effected, only certain ones. The textures will sharpen after a certain amount of time, but it's taking way too long.

http://www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/blurry1.jpg

http://www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/blurry2.jpg

This is what the ground should look like:

http://www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/arma2_lg/arma2_2010-05-09_17-42-27-56s.jpg

The mipmap Quality setting is high but why should that matter, I never had to set that on my 260. Secondly, even if it was low what I mean by blurry is extreme! not just low. ..but really...really blurry.

When I run up to the street, the textures seemed almost out of focus, and so were some of the dirt textures but not all the ground texture were blurry which is what doesn't make sense. And without exaggeration it literally took 10 to 15 seconds for the texture to sharpen when I stood over the surface and looked down at the ground. If this "was" a performance issue, looking down at only the ground would ease up on the GPU and the rest of the world would not need to be rendered for that moment. But it didn't matter, the textures still took 10 to 15 sec to render correctly.

On a card that's more powerful than my older 260, there is clearly something going on.

I put the 260 back in, and the problem is gone. Maybe it was the driver, I should have tried others.

I'll probably get another one and see what happens. What else could it be. I just installed the latest driver and turned off vertical sync, and that was it. I didn't change anything that I hadn't before. What is odd though, is why there was a stack of returned EVGA GTX-460-1GB SC cards at Frys in Downers Grove IL. I seen about 5 boxes returned, but I just thought those people changed their mind. Maybe there was something wrong with that shipment. Honestly, I've never had issues with nVidea, and EVGA cards have always been great. So I'm not knocking the brand, but something is wrong.

By the way, thanks for confirming you're cards are working. That narrows things down.

---- System Info ----

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45 UD3P rev 1.6

Intel Chipset drivers: v9.1.1.1025

Memory: 4 GB DDR2 Corsair XMS2 matched 4.4.4.12 cas (as set in BIOS)

Sound: M-Audio Delta 66

Video Card: nVidia EVGA / GTX 460 1024 SC Driver v260.99-WHQL (returned and replaced with original GTX 260)

Video Card: nVidia EVGA / GTX 260 Driver v196.21-WHQL

C Drive: West 7200rpm 500gb 32mb cache

Edited by starstreams

Wrong thread.Sorry.

Edited by Neopas
Wrong thread

I noticed the same when I changed from HD 5850 to GTX 460.

It's in between those screenshots, not that blurry, but still was very noticeable drop in quality. It's like having only 2x AF on when I have set it to max.

For those of you who are "not" having this issue, Are these overclocked retail cards you're using?

480s are all stock clocked and have never been OC'd.

You might find that setting texture detail to 'normal' helps and doesn't really mess with your visual experience.

Edited by BangTail

480s are all stock clocked and have never been OC'd.

You might find that setting texture detail to 'normal' helps and doesn't really mess with your visual experience.

Hello Bang Tail

The card I'm using is a 460, but I guess it shouldn't matter. But either way, I tried all of what you said on the same day I bought the card. I set the textures to low, high, very high. Changed every setting you can think of to try to see if it was some kind of a reset issue. noting worked. I even deleted my cfg files. I don't use FSAA because my native screen rez is 2048 x 1152, but I even tried running that on, and then back off.

On thing I've considered in regard to "software"/ drivers, or any software is this:

There might be "nothing" wrong with the nVidia driver for example, but there could be something running on my computer that is conflicting with a memory address space that the nVidia driver uses. Something as simple as a windows update. Let me give an example. I had some random crashes that started happening the last month or so. The crash happened as soon as the desktop loaded, but not all the time. I tracked it back to Nod32's driver. when I removed Nod32 and updated the base program, the crashes went away. So in that example, Nod32 was conflicting with the normal function of the window operating system.

So, maybe this issue has nothing to with the driver or card, but something else on my computer that is being intrusive and interfering with the nVidia driver's memory space. On the other hand, I'm still a little curious why there was a stack of returned 460 cards at the store. It might having nothing to do with this issue, but it makes me wonder if I just got a lemon from a bad line. I'm going to grab another one in the next few days. Especially for the fact that you guys are not having problems, I'm confident to try this again. And to be honest, I had no issues using the 460 with any of my other games or software. Unreal Tournament 3, 3dsMax 2011, all worked great with the 460

Edited by starstreams

My guess is AF. I would look at all your CP options for it. Make sure your A2 nvidia profile is correct, and set your 3D CP to let Arma to use AF.

The odd part is it is only blurry next to you and not out past your view?

My guess is AF. I would look at all your CP options for it. Make sure your A2 nvidia profile is correct, and set your 3D CP to let Arma to use AF.

-- In reference to the GTX 460 1024mb SC that I was using --

I keep Anisotropic Filtering on high in the game, but I even tried setting that to Very-High, Low, and back to High.

As far as the nVidia profile, Vertical Sync is forced off.

Anisotropic filtering is set to Application Controlled.

The odd part is it is only blurry next to you and not out past your view?

Exactly, its like the street layer is not being rendered on time. Well, It's not worth me speculating. I need to go pick up another card and just experiment.

Although I'm now wondering if I should wait it out and get a more powerful GTX-480. This is totally unrelated to the issue above, but the performance in the center town located in the Zargabad island was "a little better" on the 460, I still noticed some choppiness even with "only myself" placed on the map, No other AI. The location I'm referring to is the center of town, where you see the top of the mosque as shown here:

http://www.arma2.com/images/stories/jac_faq/AI_q1.jpg

Edited by starstreams

I'm using an stock clocked 470 and have never seen blurry textures.

I'm using an stock clocked 470 and have never seen blurry textures.

Ok, but so far everyone that responded said they have a fully working "470".

Who has a 460 1GB Super Clocked? That's the card I was having an issue with?

Leopardi, mentioned he is using a 460, and he also has the same problem. So who else here has a 460 and can confirm their card "is" working?

It's clear that the 470 works well, so that might be the card I pick up when I go back.

Edited by starstreams

I wouldnt buy a 480 right now, the 580 will be out in 2-3 weeks and the 480 will drop in price (probably by a fair amount).

Something like posted here has just happened to me, I just started a mission, it has decent amount of combat and after 2 minutes and the games starts to look like this shit.

7Gfl0.jpg

Why?

I'm running a GTX 480 at mostly Very High settings, temps were being monitored on a seperate monitor, GPU Temp was 58C, That cant be TOO hot for gameplay can it?

It's happened in the past but its the worst now. Why can't the textures just stay high quality so I can enjoy my game. FPDR

Same here, got GTX 470, yestarday i idiot try new drivers, and the blurry issue is here :(. OK, so i get back the old one drivers, and still the same, so i try the older one, and still the same, even if i try uninstall CUDa,nvidia HD audio drivers,so wtf? I try tommorow reinstall windows and c, if my nice graphics will be back in work.

please update Your game to new versions