Sign in to follow this  
Zipper5

Original GoldenEye Director "Console FPS don't innovate, happens only on PC"

Those comments made me laugh.

People putting console innovation above PC innovation? :confused:

I found this comment quite amusing.

i think this guy is 10 years too late.

pc gaming is dead. (except for small casual games and online flash-type gaming, but they don't count)

Dead? Ha, Since when did the PC communities die? :S

I did like this one comment.

I don't think the PC market really shrunk, I think the console market just got bigger.

Those comments made me laugh.

People putting console innovation above PC innovation? :confused:

I found this comment quite amusing.

Dead? Ha, Since when did the PC communities die? :S

I did like this one comment.

Oh man, that's funny! LOL

I hate ignorant people like that, just because them and all their 12-15 year old friends play Xbox 360 means the PC Gaming is dead. Okay.

Ugh....

Huh. I didn't know that TF2 was flash based and casual... You learn something new every day.

Suddenly, industry big-weights lose their credibility when they say consoles lack innovation, even if he happens to be the creator of GoldenEye or BioShock. Gotta love it. :rolleyes:

I wonder how much of this is a backlash to the Microsoft guy who said hardly anyone plays FPS on the PC any more because of Halo.

What would happen if the guy in charge of the HALO series stood up and went "Consoles lack innovation, PC's are the way forward"

Would the consoler's explode not knowing what to say? o.0

Wheir Heads would go BOOM, after that the big Flamewar would start

$5 says this bloke is making a PC game currently.

Another $5 says he recants when the console version is launched.

What would happen if the guy in charge of the HALO series stood up and went "Consoles lack innovation, PC's are the way forward"

Would the consoler's explode not knowing what to say? o.0

He can't be that excited by console FPS, unless he's leaving Bungie/Blizzard and going to work for Microsoft, I heard Bungie are looking at doing a multi-platform MMO now that they finished with Halo for the foreseeable future.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

$5 says this bloke is making a PC game currently.

Another $5 says he recants when the console version is launched.

The question of innovation vs replication in FPS was asked of him because of the upcoming re-release of Goldeneye on the Wii, nothing to do with him releasing a PC game. He has a studio that produces indie puzzle games for Nintendo. Now I believe there is the question of $10, Paypal ok? ;)

Edited by MrBump

one of reasons PC is is more innovative than console scenes is that anyone can developed for them even with garage budget and indies are mostly these who innovate

but MS has the XNA Indie program for XBOX360 so some innovation happens on that front aswell ...

one of reasons PC is is more innovative than console scenes is that anyone can developed for them even with garage budget and indies are mostly these who innovate

but MS has the XNA Indie program for XBOX360 so some innovation happens on that front aswell ...

XNA is Windows cross-platform isn't it? Not just 360.

Well, Yes.

The fact that almost anyone can create a game without needing approval from some giant company and huge press releases with a tiny budget. is probably the second biggest reason most innovation happens on the PC.

But, I would say the biggest reason is modding. Anyone can pick up a game, and begin to mod it. Change it around to their liking, add new things, take out old things. Add new ideas. Then, These people then can create their own "games" within games. The first steps of innovation.

But that is just my opinion.

Well, Yes.

The fact that almost anyone can create a game without needing approval from some giant company and huge press releases with a tiny budget. is probably the second biggest reason most innovation happens on the PC.

But, I would say the biggest reason is modding. Anyone can pick up a game, and begin to mod it. Change it around to their liking, add new things, take out old things. Add new ideas. Then, These people then can create their own "games" within games. The first steps of innovation.

But that is just my opinion.

Yes :) Look at Goldeneye Source, it's imitation sure, but already it's innovating with community ideas.

Edited by MrBump

Indeed, until developers officially lock modding out.

*cough* :p

Indeed, until developers officially lock modding out.

*cough* :p

Yep, the worst thing a dev team could do is not give its PC community decent Mod tools.

Most very successful games have given out Mod tools to use. The unreal engine SDK, Bethsdas Fallout SDK (The G.E.C.K), BIS' own mod tools, DICE's mod tools for BF1942-2142, Crysis' modding tools, HL2, Far Cry....

Very successful titles, All mysteriously have things called a "SDK". Coincidence? :rolleyes:

Remember any games that could-have-been with mod tools? ... mw2, OFDR, BFBC2, MoH.... This list is endless here. Just put the latest in there.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

p.s. I remember talking to some of my friends, who are consolers. Like most people I know today. Well, they talk about modding and mapping games as if its a bad thing (I mean, modding for PC) It leads me to think that most consoler gamers (this, is a good 1/2 of them) do not know modding or what it means and why things like no mod tools or mission editors is a bad thing for PC.

Saddended me that they will never play any game at its fullest potential.

Modders to console players are mostly actual cheaters. "Modding" for consoles has become synonymous with hacking. Modding on the PC has an entirely different meaning.

Hmm, Yes. They really don't know what true Modding is. For them, "modding" is just using modded controllers or modded lobby rooms. Nothing like PR or ACE or anything.