Sign in to follow this  
Swaroopa

I'm a noob.

Ok, I'm getting owned like shit and I am not able to complete any mission or campaign. Only mission ever completed is this Scud missile mission in BAF. I'm from battlefield MW game background and not so comfortable with the controls but trying to embed the shortcuts controls in my brain.

1. Grand Theft Info (BAF) - In this mission, I cannot find the old rust GAZ car where the docs are hidden. I've run around the whole city but never got a clue about the car or the docs. What am I doing wrong?

2. Jackal (OA) - I successfully land on the base, put some satchels near those tanks and hide behind one of the buildings near the crates with extra explosives. When I touch of the bombs, siren starts and I'm fucked or I kill some takis and then get fucked. HELP!!!!

3. Arma 2 - First mission in Scenario menu - Getting raped and jammed from all directions.

I think this concludes that I'm missing something required to play like a soldier. Either I'm very impatient I want to get out there like a Rambo or I get bored turn off the game cuz I'm trying to be stealthy making me go nowhere (wow these maps are HUGE man)

Please advise. THX!!!!!

The Basic Drill

: Going prone will save your life.

: Situational awareness is more important than lightning reflexes.

: Learn to communicate. (who-whom-what-where)

: Realise that the AI will actively hunt you down, flank you, and can operate at TREMENDOUS distances. But it WON'T cheat.

The controls are a pain.

-k

Thanks for the reply. Any idea about those missions? I'm dying again and again lol

About the BAF mission: I played it twice and the car was in a different location when I replayed it. So just search for it.

Jackal is a great mission. When you planted all your satchels move out of the base about 200 metres in the direction of your exfiltration point. Then blow of the charges and run.

The first ArmA 2 mission has actually become frustrating. I really liked it in the demo and when I got Arma 2 new. Usually the heli came in time to take out the APC before it could do much damage. Even if you played it on veteran or expert level. But after a patch (don't know which it was) the whole squad always dies to that APC before the helicopter arrives and takes it out. Sometimes the heli even doesn't make it. So it's really a pain in the *** when played on a higher difficulty level than recruit. Usually you end up fighting on your own.

Thanks for the reply. Any idea about those missions? I'm dying again and again lol

Check the Official mission threads there you can read how some of the other community members dealt with those missions. Use the search function first and read those threads. In case you can't find any answer, to solve your problem, open a new thread, but please search first.

I'm dying again and again

This is something common to all new players. You just need to adapt to the gameplay. It'll take some time, but in the end it is more gratifying than any other game you've ever played. It seems difficult because the AI is challenging in this game. If you follow the basic drill rules you should get less killed.

You should also take a look at Shak Tactical

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=99067

There are lot's of useful info to recover, how get the best experience of playing ArmA. Read the Shak Tactical guide a very interesting read to the game related.

Game controls are the same over all these years you just need to get used to it. It's just about remembering 2 max 3 digit combinations. There are also tutorial vids about effectively commanding your team.

The search button will be your best friend.:D

kind regards

p.s. The game is still far from perfect but BIS is working on it. Just don't give up.

Have you played the toturial missions in oa?

if not, try them. if you have, try them again :P

Also, it might help on the controls, to customise them to your likings.

ohhh, and patiense is allways a good thing, as long as you're not up against the clock.

The ai isn't awfull, that goes for friendly ai aswell. atleast as long as you're not in charge :p it realy can be a pain in the you know were to command ai.

Training and paitience is the 2 most important things i guess.

Try the armory, get a feel for the weaponds, and you get a few missions to play with there aswell.

and, good luck & happy hunting

Welcome to this great game. You will need some ttime to make yourself comfortable with the way the game is played, but then you will have a really great experience!

It took me a few tries to realise this but, on Jackal when the siren starts, a flare goes up lighting up the entire base and its surroundings. You can barely see the flare with the night vision goggles on. Try setting the charges, moving towards the extraction point (going too far makes the detonator ineffective and removes the Touch Off action) and turning the NVGs off. When you detonate, make sure you are hidden behind some rocks until the flare fizzles out. Then make a dash uphill!

Turn down the difficulty a bit too as that may help you out.

Also a good way to learn is to get into the editor and make your own missions,

just throw a few guys down and see what you can do, it would at least give you some control over the challenge.

But like others have said map your controls out to what best fits you and just be patient, and take your time, and you will get it.

The game has a long learning curve, I myself started in series in 2001 and still am learning more things about the game,

so you are not the only one who is learning to be a better soldier.;)

I successfully land on the base, put some satchels near those tanks and hide behind one of the buildings near the crates with extra explosives. When I touch of the bombs, siren starts and I'm fucked or I kill some takis and then get fucked.

What? Proper fucked? :D

What I generally do after failing a mission a fair number of times. Play a different one. Then jump back. Myself, if I keep trying the same mission over and over again, Im talking 10+ attempts, then I do somethign else. Becasue what you are probably doing is repeating the same tactic, or very similar over and over. Play a different mission, and come back to the one(s) you're stuck on with a fresh approach.

But, if your new to arma, then it really is just a case of getting used to the controls and how the game is. Dont be surprised if you continue to get fucked, (proper or otherwise) for a little while until you get a bit of game time under your belt. Just keep at it.

But, if your new to arma, then it really is just a case of getting used to the controls and how the game is. Dont be surprised if you continue to get fucked, (proper or otherwise) for a little while until you get a bit of game time under your belt. Just keep at it.

Exactly, and once you get it to where you want, you'll have a blast once you also get online and play MP. Difficult....yes...but all the more rewarding, this game!

Man thx for the replies yall!!! This editor thingy is crazy mang,!!(watched youtube tutorials) I made a mission with a situation and was able to defeat the Takis. I created 4 units, became a commander, issued orders (This is where I lacked in OA campaign). Whatever I did to win the mission felt very natural and I feel I'm getting a hang of it. This small mission is open to a lot of ideas which I feel is brilliant, it's like directing a movie. Also I will prepare a control chart sheet and paste it on the walls for instant reference. This is some game everyone should get they hands dirty with!!!