Sign in to follow this  
ray243

Fix the turning please!

If you noticed, try driving in a fast vehicle offroad or onroad, and the go to the maximum speed. Then, do a very sudden turn, and your car sorts of drift like a subaru car. I hope BI can fix this.

Whats bad about that. In fact I believe that is accurate as most 4 wheeled vehicles in ARMA2 are RWD (isn't the subari RWD?) and will "drift" or loose traction unless you slow down to an appropiate speed. Part of the fun is drifting! Only improvement i can think of is manual gears!

what do you suggest ray, the car should flip, crash and burn?

Most of the cars in game are 4x4 SUbaru Imprezza is 4x4 and when you try and turn several tonnes of car sharply it tends to swerve... But saying that the car handling is still pretty touchy :P I think the gta handling is the best mix between serious/ fun and it handles very well

Its harder to drive a car ingame than RL :D

HaHa ! qoute of the year!!

Its harder to drive a car ingame than RL :D

Yes, but I can't go 100km/h offroad then take a jump that would cause me to instantly die in real life.

But, this would be great for making a action style movie for arma 2 though. The car flying through the sky, through a fireloop, onto the ground, and then drift up to the camera.

One of the main problems, that you dont "feel" that the vehicle has weight. They move so unnatural. Not only wheeled vehicles. Tracked vehicles too. I've driven a real T-55 3days ago, then yesterday played a bit Arma2... holy $hit... Im sure the developers modeled tank handling after skid steer loaders (Bobcat).

But, this would be great for making a action style movie for arma 2 though. The car flying through the sky, through a fireloop, onto the ground, and then drift up to the camera.

You are in the wrong game for this.

The cars handle like ass on a plate. The arrows keys can only make rigid 5 degree adjustments of wildly uncontrolled swerves, while the mouse does barely anything.

I don't think real MTVRs go 70-80km/h up 45° slopes in terrain either...

And Im quite sure that you can go faster then 50-60 up 10% slopes on road in Hilux. Was driving it today trough takistan and you can go much faster on terrain then on road. Overall this pickups are really fake in arma. ~90km/h top speed... Hilux present in arma has around 150HP in real life as far as I know. Or golf, ~105 top speed. Even if you have the lamest 1.4L or so, it has top speed of something like 180kmh. And I think it says 1.6 on the back of the car in arma.

Although driving in ArmA with steering wheel is quite cool. You just have to adjust settings right.

I don't know:

* 10% is actually quite steep, in real life enough to warrant a warning sign about it.

* The roads are probably not european highway standards.

* At 2000m base altitude, thinner air is already starting to make an impact. You would need to lean aircraft mixture for optimum performance, and afaik even real UH-60s suffers from this in Afghanistan and not considered optimum vehicle for the job.

So I'm not too worried about degraded performace, and drivable slopes ingame usually tend to be a bit steeper than would be considered drivable irl. My main problem is "avoid the roads if you want to go faster", which of course is just plain nuts :p Roads for wheeled vehicles should always be faster than offroad, regardless of wheeled vehicle.

We all know too well the limitations of the engine (general surface modification) that prevents this to be tuned 100% to our liking (what you, I and everyone else is asking for is impossible with the current engine), something feels way off in Takistan.

Example "road of weirdness". Drive from Chak Chack to Huzrutimam in a HMMWV. On this "dirt road" (higher standard roads are ok) you get maximum 75km/h. Take it offroad and experience 90km/h. I think I would prefer Chernarus offroad surface speed modification (I think I'm gettin 55-60km/h there) over this, even if technically the hardened barren surface (it's not desert sand, thank God, lol :)) would probably give higher speeds compared to soft Chernarus grass. What's also feels a bit off, is that terrain vehicles like the ATV suffer a greater penalty than HMMWVs and trucks, and it's completely uncontrollable/bouncy. So there is never (except maybe Naygul valley) a benefit for choosing the ATV over the HMMWV.

180km/h for a Golf is ridiculous. Players needs to have restrictions stuffed down their throat, as long as vehicles and occupants doesn't suffer realistic dangers from doing it. If this becomes a proper vehicle simulation, with all the parts breaking up on abuse, then we'll talk about realistic speeds :p

If its not degraded by thin air or altitude on level terrain its not on slope.

You can get injured or even killed if you crash already. Or just by driving too fast down a steep hill. Speeds should be realistic, its up to you how fast you drive.

Edited by 11aTony

Vehicles driving faster or slower on or off road is just down to poorly tuned surface roughness and terrain coefficients. All of which can be corrected. As can the max speed of vehicles, and the both the turning effectiveness and efficiency.

The vehicle simulation is actually quite good, once you put the effort in to tune it.

Speeds should be realistic, its up to you how fast you drive.

I agree. As long as the penalties for driving like mad men are kept realistic too. ;) And I'm talking about a lot more than blowing a tire when jumping off a rock or taking a little damage than can be instantly healed. Maybe engineer fixing an engine shouldn't let it to full speed? Blow the axel, transmission, gearbox, the lights, whatever.

It's supposed to be a thinking mans game. What I'm seeing online doesn't look like thinking at all. Everybody complains about vehicles going too slow. Am I the only one complaining about vehicles going too fast (in certain cases)? That tells me something - everyone wants realism when it comes to increasing speeds - nobody wants it when it comes to decreasing it - same old mainstream gamer story :o

Thin air was just a sidenote from real life, I don't expect it to be simulated at all.

I agree. As long as the penalties for driving like mad men are kept realistic too. ;) And I'm talking about a lot more than blowing a tire when jumping off a rock or taking a little damage than can be instantly healed. Maybe engineer fixing an engine shouldn't let it to full speed? Blow the axel, transmission, gearbox, the lights, whatever.

It's supposed to be a thinking mans game. What I'm seeing online doesn't look like thinking at all. Everybody complains about vehicles going too slow. Am I the only one complaining about vehicles going too fast (in certain cases)? That tells me something - everyone wants realism when it comes to increasing speeds - nobody wants it when it comes to decreasing it - same old mainstream gamer story :o

Thin air was just a sidenote from real life, I don't expect it to be simulated at all.

Exactly, especially para 2 there. People always use realism to justify all of their arguments, but as soon as it's something actually realistic they scream "it's just a game go play RL if you want realism!" ;) Personally I think the main issues are:

a) Manual gears.

b) The ability to spin your wheels faster than the car is moving - example: driving up a wet grassy hill in a rear-wheel-drive car should get a lot of wheel-spin and very little forward movement - would also make the car feel like a real car (propelling itself) instead of a toy being pushed along by an invisible hand.

1) Maybe as an option, but I don't think too many would be too happy about that being forced. Driving is considered second nature, and there are (especially for the new guy) already too many controls to worry about. I think of automatic gears for vehicles like choppers being stable and not difficult to fly.

2) Isn't that already available for tracks? And isn't wheel spin and tracks moving also related to speed of vehicle (regardless of vehicle being on terrain or not?). I guess would be nice to have, but it seems there are more issues with wheels and tracks than this.

I play the realism card often, but I also realize it's still a game for most. I want penalties for bad gaming, but I don't want them to be too realistic :p That would only scare the rest away, and would serve nobody any good. Less player isn't what the game needs. I like features that shows evidence of having a few brainstorming sessions around it (like the backpack system), instead of just tossing something into the game without thought because some players (many even, myself also maybe :)) seems like it sounds like a good idea - it may turn out that it is not.

Tracks shouldnt spin faster than you move, at least offroad. It would require inordinate amounts of torque to do this. Tracked vehicle turning is extremely unrealistic in this game, especially if you push the forward key (W), then you release it, and try to turn. You will spin like a Bobcat. In RL, its impossible, because: 1, the steering system doesnt permit it, even hydrostatic ones, 2, even if you could do it, it would result in a thrown track.

i'd say the topspeed of cars and other stuff (planes for example) is reduced because we don't have a full size map. It's scaled down. Average distance between villages in chernarus is about ~1,5Km or less or something like that.

Until you are at real top speed with your car you are already in the next village.

Jets are also reduced in speed. What's the point of mach 2 if the map is 10Km big? you fly from one end to the other in ~15 sec.

it's a gameplay vs. realism decision.

Tracked vehicle turning is indeed a bit hilarious tho :rolleyes:

The toy-vehicle is also very true, just check how easy you can jump with your 50 ton vehicle. Last time i drove a stryker in SP at high speed, then a steep slope came, did a huge jump and landed on the rear door and got stuck :D

You are in the wrong game for this.

At this moment I'd love to post the four stunt videos I made with my squad back in Operation Flashpoint, but they aren't available online or offline anymore

Old website's still up, siiick

http://www.freewebs.com/popcornproductions/