Sign in to follow this  
Takko

Why is my own character displayed?

Hello,

one thing I have been wondering myself since OFP:

In the unit menu, where unit 2, 3,4,5 etc. are shown, why is my own

character there shown as well when I have the command.

I don't know what I can order myself or how this does help me.

Do you?

I fail to give myself orders!

You do realize that you just called yourself stupid, do you?

I guess the question remains though: why IS the leader displayed and "accessible" in the game? If I give out a squad-wide Hold Fire order, then teamswitch, the leader disregards. For example :)

I guess the question remains though: why IS the leader displayed and "accessible" in the game? If I give out a squad-wide Hold Fire order, then teamswitch, the leader disregards. For example :)

Oh God, legitimacy to a Takko argument. Has hell frozen over? :confused:

Well I guess in that regard there's a point here. The reason could be because sometimes the engine assigns group members as unit "1", oddly enough. Or maybe it's simply a design choice. I've gotten used to it so that I no longer notice it at all, to be honest.

Oh God, legitimacy to a Takko argument. Has hell frozen over? :confused:

Well I guess in that regard there's a point here. The reason could be because sometimes the engine assigns group members as unit "1", oddly enough. Or maybe it's simply a design choice. I've gotten used to it so that I no longer notice it at all, to be honest.

To be honest, I also never really questioned it, but there is a very real question behind it I think :) it's a useless function, if there is no effect. Also, when you no longer have sub-units, it disappears anyway.

I guess this wasn't taken into account when the feature was made... you can however give yourself waypoints on the map with shift+click. You can also use the icon to check if you're injured or not. Edited by SASrecon

Because leader is not always #1, and it may be good to know which # you are in the group

Wow really? A new thread just to ask this?

Why do they do it? Because of a lot of good reasons...

-If you're #1, the list would start at 2. That makes no sense, and may cause confusion (did 1 die?)

-If you're not #1, it would skip over your number. Again, confusion would arise (did #whatever die?)

-If you are in a vehicle owned by your group, it allows you to know which one & which members are crewing it

So really, it doesn't make sense to not include the player.

And I think the first guy summed it up pretty well: you are part of the squad and being in command doesn't change that.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

Wow really? A new thread just to ask this?

Why do they do it? Because of a lot of good reasons...

-If you're #1, the list would start at 2. That makes no sense, and may cause confusion (did 1 die?)

-If you're not #1, it would skip over your number. Again, confusion would arise (did #whatever die?)

-If you are in a vehicle owned by your group, it allows you to know which one & which members are crewing it

So really, it doesn't make sense to not include the player.

And I think the first guy summed it up pretty well: you are part of the squad and being in command doesn't change that.

Yep, but why can we apparently give ourselves orders, when they don't have any effect? I give a squad-wide Hold Fire order, but upon teamswitching the leader reverses that order :)

I mean, it's no biggie or anything, just an oddity I guess. But it would be unutterably useful to give yourself an order, teamswitch and know that your last order is being observed.

Yep, but why can we apparently give ourselves orders, when they don't have any effect? I give a squad-wide Hold Fire order, but upon teamswitching the leader reverses that order :)

I mean, it's no biggie or anything, just an oddity I guess. But it would be unutterably useful to give yourself an order, teamswitch and know that your last order is being observed.

Probably because if players could give themselves orders, they'd easily be able to mess things up. I mean what happens when the player can't comply with his order? It would require them to tediously deny their own orders to keep things working right.

Besides, that's not how AI leaders work. AI group leaders are governed by mission elements: waypoints & scripts mostly. If you teamswitch, the AI will revert back to what the mission is telling him to do. Some things that the player changes may actually be persistent, but most times the AI can't just pick up where the player left off. There are two possibilties: Either they revert to some default state, or they sit there like an idiot doing nothing. Take your pick. ;)

I'd rather say that it's probably because in OFP, Teamswitch didn't exist ;) Lots of old stuff like that knocking about still. People have given good reasons for why you can see yourself in the list, in particular the whole "leader !=#1 always!".

But yeah, giving orders to yourself would be fun! In particular the Hold Fire one is kind of annoying, since it makes teamswitching rather hard.

Regards,

Wolfrug

But yeah, giving orders to yourself would be fun! In particular the Hold Fire one is kind of annoying, since it makes teamswitching rather hard.

Another one is whispering in stealth mode. If you order all -> stealth, your squaddies will whisper, but you yourself will still speak normally.

Another one is whispering in stealth mode. If you order all -> stealth, your squaddies will whisper, but you yourself will still speak normally.

This can be overcome by the mission designer. I've set in one mission of mine setbehavoiur "Stealth in the players init field and you whisper too.

kind regards

Problem with that, just like setCombatMode, is the player can never stop it ingame. He will always be set to Stealth, or Hold fire.

Problem with that, just like setCombatMode, is the player can never stop it ingame. He will always be set to Stealth, or Hold fire.

Yes of course, but you can in mission design change it when you need to.

kind regards

This can be overcome by the mission designer. I've set in one mission of mine setbehavoiur "Stealth in the players init field and you whisper too.

kind regards

Exactly. You can give them hold-fire too, but the squad leader cannot produce this effect at will. Leader units seem to only respond directly to waypoints and script commands.

I think a script check could probably fix that issue quite easily, if you use combatMode and behaviour to check those for the player's group, and then set his own accordingly.

Would probably be done, in this case, by creating arrays for all the different behaviours and combat modes, seeing if the entire group's changes, have it select the same ones from the arrays and make it the same for the player. Or you could just do multiple checks for each behaviour and combat mode, then have it apply it to the player, but that might not be very performance friendly. Obviously that would only work if each group member was given the same behavior and combat mode by the player, otherwise the only other option I can think of would be to let the player choose his own behaviour and combat mode.

Edited by Zipper5

With Takko suspended and soon permbanned, no reason to continue this pointless thread.