Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

...open source addon...

Not quite sure about the open source part, as that means others can freely edit the work. I highly doubt that will be allowed without permission.

Abs

yes of course you cant edit and redestribute the model&Config%Scripts etc..

but i think he means that NodUnit is building the models for free and accessable for everyone and not just for an selected party of users or "friends" etc..

The license the addon is distributed with refers to all of the content in the package. If the license says no derivative works, that means you can't take the package apart and redistribute the pieces.

Regarding Hankyanik's I think he must be referring to the fire control scripts or something. Regardless of how 'open source' it is, you can't take an apache and turn it into a cobra. The later versions of the Marine cobras can have hellfires, though.

yes of course you cant edit and redestribute the model&Config%Scripts etc..

But that what your reply actually means...You can always read what open source actually means.

but i think he means that NodUnit is building the models for free and accessable for everyone and not just for an selected party of users or "friends" etc..

Then why don't you let the author reply, and you feel the need to speak for him? Especially when the question was had NOTHING to do with what you thought above

ok i guess my english ( which is really not the best) was playing tricks on me....

but i think we should Nod answer this question

sry if i misunderstood something....

If by open source you mean a non locked p3d to review the way things work in selections, names and so on then for LOD 1 (the one you've seen thus far) No. I would however consider this for the lesser LODs.

I've got nothing against open source and the community looking inward, opening files (provided by others) to learn, but I am unsecure about releasing the top tier with no form of any protection due to digital thievery, and if you are looking to learn you aren't looking at the model for it's appearance but rather the inner workings.

I think using the lesser detail to be a good compromise for both sides, the artists don't have to worry about their property being stolen nearly as much (since the one they worked hardest for isn't in the open) and the community still gets to learn about commands in the editor and where things should go such as in memory.

Edited by NodUnit

I actually can not believe you are discussing this if I am honest !!

This is not even released and the discussion has already started about the rights to rip it apart and rework it where possible.

Its every creators right to lock their work down if they want to, and no one should question that - thats just inpolite and arrogant IMO.

The argument that its good to leave it open to "learn" from, happens very little nowadays IMO, its usually just ripped off more than used to learn from .... thats the way it seems to be these days unfortunately.

I think NodUnit has a happy medium with what what will and won't be locked down actually.

..... and yes NodUnit is a PR Developer (But will be releasing a community version of this - don't worry)

From working with Vilas and CWR2, when Vilas lost his source files and needed to extract some of his addons from binarized p3ds to work on them again, I hear that the extracting tools produce some funky results. Giving out a p3d with everything working minus the first LOD would give people a working example of how the first LOD should be, so it would make ripping it and fixing it up easier. However, anyone who rips your model and then tries to pass it off as his own in this community would be completely insane. The model is so unique that anyone would be able to tell where it comes from if they are aware of your work (so you should promote heavily!). Ripping your model for sale or for other games does not require a working unit in o2, so the weird extracted config stuff is no big drama for them. The debinned models seem to come in broken into a million separate subobjects, so it might require some TLC to get working properly in other applications.

I'm no huge expert, I've never used those tools, this is just information I picked up from being present at development conversations.

While I do appreciate the backup UK_Force, I think you may have misunderstood, there is no debate on rights to community access of addons and models created by the community, all that has happened thus far is a simple misunderstanding in terminology and an honest question from a curious mind.

@Max Power- It's never impossible to deter short of not releasing, there is always a way but hat can't be helped. When I say open source I don't mean an addon that you crack open with a pbo decrypter of some sort but rather an untouched pristine p3d ripe to be examined, hence my preference for a lower quality model with the same selections and functions, reading configs is well and all but unless you can see what ties it all together for yourself then you can't get the whole picture.

Admittedly my concern is not about the community claiming my model as theirs, sure it will earn an *** chewing from me but my concern lies more with being sold wrongly on other 3D sites (part of the reason for my lack of promotion, the less I am known the less they know of me) I've seen it done with Arma2's vehicles on turbosquid in the past and DCS black sharks CH-47 on another. I've also seen to the extent that some thieves will go and how little they care, one I saw even posting directly in the DCS black shark forums, of the Ka-50 he had opened, you could see the meshflow, every polygon that was there, it was in pristine condition.

Now again I know that there is no full way to deter them, but I'd rather not just drop my pants and let them have at me yet at the same I don't want to punish the community for their wrong doing.

Edited by NodUnit

I was just giving out some information you (and others) may not have had. You, of course, should distribute it which ever way you think is best!

Ah okay, well thank you for that.

Speaking of information there are a few things I would like to ask the community regarding model handling in O2. We've entertained the idea of proxies for non damaged parts, this could us greatly when we expand to multi national helicopters especially UK and Israel.

Can the texture of a proxy object be linked with the UV map of the rest of the unit itself, for the record we haven't tried it ingame and are nowhere near ready, right now we're trying to get a plan organized so we'll have something to slide in with rather than simply pushing in and finding hindsight biting us on the behind.

so you should promote heavily!

Yeah ! Post pictures ! :D

just kidding...but...yeah...you know :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work !

Nah I think you all have gotten enough pictures for now, at least from the inside. I'll probably have the urge to post more once I get the exterior 'finished'. it mostly is but there are some incomplete, out of place and so on things.

I've only just found this thread.

Mate those cockpits in page 40 look absolutley brilliant. Interior is very important to me because I play very little in 3rd person mode. Therefore having a nice looking interior makes it much more enjoyable and realistic flying.

Thanks for you efforts, I really am looking forward to being able to fly these!

Ta

Frosty

Any chance of a picture of it going down in flames into a mountain?

:p

Probably not, that's so hollywood, there may however be images later of it wrecked against a mountain with pieces of debris lingering nearby.

@ j_frost- Thank you, I have doing the best I can for the cockpit to look the best it can. if you enjoy that then you should peek at page 47 which includes a before and after photo, the after being a more final and block 3 including the D model pilots left hand console.

On that note I cannot believe this thread actually made it to 50 pages.

Edited by NodUnit

Can the texture of a proxy object be linked with the UV map of the rest of the unit itself...

Short answer, yep.

Longer answer: You could have many objects on one texture map. Keep in mind that it's inefficient if the proxy is tiny, and that's the only part you're loading. For example, if the proxy part is...I dunno...the wheels on your base texture of 2048x2048. The rest of the chopper is a custom camo. It will load both the base texture and the custom camo, not just the parts that are mapped, into memory.

Abs

Eh NODunit, I heard there's no render to texture in Arma 2. So those tv panels will just be static screens?

That seems like it's going to change (at some point, according to the news surrounding ToH's announcement). Otherwise, the MFDs can be used as instrument panels, like in the currently helicopters.

@ MP i've heard something like this aswell, i think one developper said something like "did someone mention PiP ;) " in his post

but right now its still rumor...

but that would be an very cool feature, usable for many puposes

I think it was Royalty in Exile, and he crossed that out and wrote out 'Render to Texture' spelled out in full.

Eh NODunit, I heard there's no render to texture in Arma 2. So those tv panels will just be static screens?

Oh no not "Just", each one will relay information to the pilots which is important since the BI HUD will be disabled, thus forcing you to rely soley on your helicopters equipment.

While I would like to tell you what we have planned there are many theory's going and I'd rather just not tell and not have it over telling you it will be this great and delivering less.

As for the PIP, never heard of that for Arma2 unless it is speculation that it could be coming from Take on helicopter to Arma2 in the future, where was this stated?

And thank you for your response Abs, the parts we'd likely proxy would be maintinence rails and nation specific sensor packages, not entirerly sure just yet.

Edited by NodUnit