Sign in to follow this  
xman1

What copy protection does BAF have?

Before I purchase it, I just want to make sure I am not infected with Steam or something. I don't support Steam.

-X

I think you might find this useful:

§3) Discussions about copy protection or copying, backing-up, hacking, cracking or reverse engineering of any of BI's products or the products of any other developer will not be tolerated and such discussions will be deleted immediately. Any breach of this rule may result in the poster no longer having access to the forum.

If you do not purchase BAF on steam, I don't believe you need to worry about requiring steam to play it. You can purchase it from SprocketIdea if steam is not an option for you.

Edited by Max Power

Are you sure? I don't mind SecureROM or anything since my machine is already infected with it.

And I am not discussing cracking or anything. I am discussing what is installed on my PC. I have great concern about certain software and Steam is one of them.

-X

The Sprocket version has a CD key that you need to put in when you are installing the BAF DLC, after that it runs with your OA disk in the drive.

The Sprocket version has a CD key that you need to put in when you are installing the BAF DLC, after that it runs with your OA disk in the drive.

Thanks man! That is what I wanted to know. Downloading!

-X

In addition to that, if you have a DL version of the game + a DL version of BAF, then after online activation, it works without any discs (duh!) and extra software. I went with the DL option and Sprocket because of the same reason: I refuse to support (and install) anything Steam-related.

Are you sure? I don't mind SecureROM or anything since my machine is already infected with it.

And I am not discussing cracking or anything. I am discussing what is installed on my PC. I have great concern about certain software and Steam is one of them.

-X

Yeah, I was in a hurry so the post might seem a bit gruff.

I didn't know where you were going with your question and was just on my way out. I thought I would link you to the rules in case you were on your way to get in trouble :p

No problem. Thanks for the concern. Liking BAF (I think that Heli is a Lynx?), but I have yet to figured out how to try out the new area yet. I here you get to cross the border? I probably have to play the campaign to get there it seems.

-X

PS. I think SproketIdea is a European website. Picked it up from Direct2Drive instead. I think Direct2Drive is the best all around service for US purchases. They let you DL the EXE so that you can save it to CD if you want. This allows you to continue to use your purchases even if D2D went bankrupt. All the other services make you use some sort of downloader to make it work, so if these services go bankrupt in the future, all of your software that you purchased goes out the window with it.

Edited by xman1

you can ( and is recomeded to ) bur \ backup the install files from sprocket idea.

They even got their own us based server for dl, awailible trough the dl manager.

I'd have no problem recomending sprocket

you can ( and is recomeded to ) bur \ backup the install files from sprocket idea.

They even got their own us based server for dl, awailible trough the dl manager.

I'd have no problem recomending sprocket

Always use Sprocket, never heard of any major problems with them and the problems I have heard about have been sorted damn quickly.:cool:

Not saying Sprkcet is bad, but from what I saw, it is all in Euro's. Cool that they are similar to D2D from what it sounds like. I don't want to be locked into a particular online company just to use my software. We need all the services to be like this.

-X

Not saying Sprkcet is bad, but from what I saw, it is all in Euro's. Cool that they are similar to D2D from what it sounds like. I don't want to be locked into a particular online company just to use my software. We need all the services to be like this.

-X

sprocket is our service

and you can change currency on right side of the page

http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/

(look at shopping cart and below is Change currency)

British Pound

Euro

Czech Crown

US dollar

Sprocket was damn fast for me. Just entered my payment infos, and *bam* there was the key and the DL link, *thumbsup* BIS!

I would have used Sprocket if I had seen it in dollars.Euros tend to charge more.I haven't installed BAF yet using impulse but I got a Key with it.Do you have to be logged into impulse like steam to play?I sure hope not and that its just a download service.

I would have used Sprocket if I had seen it in dollars.Euros tend to charge more.I haven't installed BAF yet using impulse but I got a Key with it.Do you have to be logged into impulse like steam to play?I sure hope not and that its just a download service.

Same thing happened to me. It wasn't very clear that you could purchase in $$$, so I ignored it and went elsewhere.

And no, it has no such logged in to play requirements like Steam. One time activation is all I saw.

-X

How hard is it to miss that huge "change currency" button on the right side of the website? :p

How hard is it to miss that huge "change currency" button on the right side of the website? :p

Very! Simple solution - put all forms of currency on the same page. :)

You should know us computer people by now, and I am sure you are the same. If we don't see what we need to see in less than 5 seconds, we are off that page! Actually, when I say this, I am not kidding. ;) Some little obscure button somewhere is not sufficient.

-X

i asked the same question a while back and a member of BIS replied that they're using Impulse DRM.

the one thing that bothers me about that is the fact that online activations are apparently limited in number and Impulse does not state how many you have. instead they claim you won't have problems getting new activations if you need them, but will be denied additionals activations if you're need of them is excessive.

they neither state how many activations they consider excessive nor how many you're allotted at any given time.

also this means your product (BAF in this case) is dependent on both the Sprocket service (if bought there) and Impulse. what happens if Impulse goes down?

I'd missed it the first time I went to the website. To complicate things more when you do change to USD you get a different price then you get once you've logged in and started the purchase process.

So if people do see the button they'll see that the price is $2 higher than it should be which doesn't get changed till you login. Basically for US buyers there's quite a few warn off signs during the purchase of BAF sadly. :)

All of this is why I went to Direct 2 Drive. Works. Price is readily apparent too.

-X

The Merdian 4/Digital River purchase site automaticaly tacks on a "Extended download" charge nearly the cost of the DLC itself if your not paying enough attention and remove it.

WHo is Meridian 4/Digital River?

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Never mind - forgot I saw them initially on the startup page for OA. That is removed with the -nosplash option.

-X

I'm in the US and I had no problem buying from Sprocket. The only thing that could be a bit more apparent was the fact that tax wouldn't be added at the end of the transaction. I don't mind buying it from Sprocket, since it goes directly to BIS, unlike other publishers.