Sign in to follow this  
SPC.Spets

What Sound Addon is the best and more realistic?

csm2oa/baf

Beauty, will check it out, thanks.

I am going to have to side with JSRS as the best overall sound mod currently. CSM2OA is right up there IMO though.

check out RWS sound mod, stiill in development, but dam it is so close to real, actual recordings aparently.

honest to god, when a weapon is fired in real life... you can barely even tell what it sounds like if your shooting it... or near it. Youtube videos and microphones have frequency cut offs that make it so you can hear the low-end part of a sound. No one here has any real idea of what it sounds like unless they've actually shot one of these guns. I've been to a few marine armored bases in my time, and also a few marine air bases and they've done a few demonstrations on their fire power. Its much much different, I believe the only thing you guys can concentrate on is taking sounds that are made on the computer, they seem to sound more real anyways. I think the only thing that sounds real enough are sonic cracks, and that is when guns are firing at you from a distance. I my self have some sounds I would love to import, but no one has really got involved with me. I think these sounds in ArmA 2 would be pretty sweet, some may disagree. But that is because you haven't heard them in-game yet, its a big improvement if you ask me!

Its not a big deal if a soundmod made from "actual recordings". Weapon sounds in most games and movies are also real, recorded sounds usually coming from a commercially available sound library. BIS uses quite decent libraries, but it seems to me that they cant pick the correct sounds from them, and they are putting them ingame without any serious editing (at least the weapon sounds) and I'm not talking about adding coolish effects and such... (BIS, please dont take it as offence)

And as others already said, sounds (especially weapons) are highly subjective. The current version of ACE SM took me 2 months to complete, using real videos, recordings, some sound libraries so they are also "real" and I worked hard on it, but there are lot of people who dont like it. Its just matter of taste.

Edited by tpM

Its not a big deal if a soundmod made from "actual recordings". Weapon sounds in most games and movies are also real, recorded sounds usually coming from a commercially available sound library. BIS uses quite decent libraries, but it seems to me that they cant pick the correct sounds from them, and they are putting them ingame without any serious editing (at least the weapon sounds) and I'm not talking about adding coolish effects and such... (BIS, please dont take it as offence)

And as others already said, sounds (especially weapons) are highly subjective. The current version of ACE SM took me 2 months to complete, using real videos, recordings, some sound libraries so they are also "real" and I worked hard on it, but there are lot of people who dont like it. Its just matter of taste.

tpM I love your Ace SM and I believe it to be excellent. It is my preferred Soundmod to use even though I do not use Ace. Thanks for the hard work.

I'm not stopping you from making what sounds you prefer are better, I do however think that games wont get much better sounding unless you want them to sound like recorded war tapes off of youtube. CSMv3 sounds very well rigged when it comes down to war taped sounds. You your self have done a tremendous job with your mods, and followed by HARCP if you were the one who had made that. If it weren't for your effort, there wouldn't be much of anything new in ArmA 2. I'd say that ArmA 2 could had been better if it had echos and sonic cracks, and including HiFi real sounds. BI doesn't have the time to figure out what sounds good or bad, and I am sure they knew people would overwrite them anyways. Just keep up the good work, we don't expect too much of anything... just do what you like.

Its not only up to taste, your hardware, and software, will change the sound and experience too. So to make a perfect soundmod that all like is impossible.

As I code for Mark VIII's HiFi and have tried it on 5-6 different constellations, I have experienced that the sound changes alot depending on machine and settings. I realised my settings on my stationary was un-optimal when I tried hifi on my laptop as the sounds were more sharp there. I had to much bass and not enough treble which made the gunshots more muffled and fake. when I tweaked my sound settings I got a much nicer, more true to real life sound (as TpM said, we can never achieve the perfect sound as the hardware cant produce it).

The Real Warfare Sound Mod Beta (RWS Beta) is some what a real recorded weapon sound mod. You could try it anyways!

By the way take note that it is in beta and still WIP.

It only contains BLUFOR sound atm.

best blufor's weapons sound mod is RWS.

For everything else i like JSRS but HIFI for A-10 sounds and stand alone Su-25 sound mod.

Sounds of Anders is making a step forward upon every new release....

a mix of:

-JSRS

-tango romeros tracked vehicles (for cars, armored and fixed wings)

-XAM-environment sound module

I actually prefer Sound Of Anders over RWS (which is still a good soundmod) since it covers the widest range of weapons, especially in ACE. Since i haven't fired a Mk16, G36, M4, I don't imagine they'd have that much of a different sound, so i like the consistency in SOA across all weapons.

Run that with the other sound mods in JSRS, its amazing.

edit: Wait, RWS is real recordings? Of all the weapons its applied to?

ohhh maybe i found it. were you talking about this one ?

Holy crap thats awesome, any way to get that for all aircraft?

Edited by Innomadic

edit: Wait, RWS is real recordings? Of all the weapons its applied to?

You are aware that pretty much every sound mod is made from real recordings. That guarantees nothing in terms of quality or realism. The ear is not a camera.

You are aware that pretty much every sound mod is made from real recordings. That guarantees nothing in terms of quality or realism. The ear is not a camera.

I wasn't aware actually, since i personally have nothing to compare a soundmod to. On face value i have no point of reference to legitimately say "that sounds real" or "recorded at a range" etc.