JTD Mines 05a public beta

[Mods, you can close this thread now:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96043

Thanks!]

===========================

Dev test version of Mines ver. 05c:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xdn2ndad8tc9paq/JTD_Mines_DevC_1112.zip

===========================

New version of the JTD Mines package (ver. 05a).

=====================================================

Description:

This addon features mines for players and mission makers. It currently features:

- claymore/directional anti-personnel mines (M18/MON-50)

- bounding mines (M16/OZM-72)

- various IEDs (editor-placed)

- anti-mine warning signs

Requirements:

- none that I know of.

Issues:

May conflict with ACE2 in some unknown way.

Untested in MP environment.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/r57yvrhj68jgb52/JTD_Mines_05a.7z

*** ARMAHOLIC: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9702

Mirrors are welcomed and GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

I'm going to call this a "public beta." There are still quite a bit of things to get feedback on - particularly MP gameplay, if possible.

There are actually 5 readmes:

- an overview of the mine package

- specific to claymore implementation

- specific to bounding mine implementation

- specific to IED implementation

- specific to trash module

Main features (see readme for the specific variants):

Mines -

Mines that are placeable via the editor (Empty -> JTD Mines), scripting (spawning), and the player. For mines placed by the player, a marker shows the placement.

The placed mines can be disarmed, with a small possibility of accidentally discharging the mine. Units that are capable of disarming mines (Engineers and certain special forces) may also be able to pick up disarmed mines.

Player-placed claymores mines can be sighted-in, attached to a tripwire, or triggered remotely. Bounding mines can be remotely triggered or "armed" with a proximity fuse.

IED Module -

There are 4 types of IEDs, including a homicide bomber. These are found in the Game Logics, under JTD_Mines. The different Game Logics allow the mission maker to specify a particular place for an IED, an object or array of objects, a particular area of road, or a named "man" class unit on the map. By using the setVariable command in the init line of the Game Logic, certain qualities such as the trigger radius and blast magnitude (and more, as appropriate) can be defined by the mission maker.

These IEDs can also be spawned by referencing the underlying scripts.

Trash Module -

This is an attempt to alleviate the "sterile" feel of ArmA urban terrains. It creates a more cluttered environment, by placing objects that are unusable trash.

Installation:

The archive contains a folder structure \@JTD\addons - simply extract the archive someplace and place the @JTD folder in your ArmA2 root folder. There is also a \keys\ folder that contains the JTD bikey - place this file in the \keys\ folder in your ArmA2 root folder.

(This is the same installation as the other JTD addons, which you should already have.) ;)

More detailed installation:

Within the archive are 3 pbos (with signature files): JTD_Mines, JTD_IEDs, and JTD_trash. Place all of these in the addon folder of your choice.

Things that need tweaked that I know of:

- bounding mines are not always partially buried in the ground (intermittent problem)

- when "arming" a bounding mine for a proximity trigger, I want to remove the safety-off action in the player's action menu

- I'm not completely satisfied with the explosion strength for the mines

I also am releasing this with the Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike license. Seemed closest to what my ideals are in this regard. :)

Some videos of the stuff:

claymore-

HDnRrq-pVSo

IEDs-

WEV-DbEh9cY

3O_Nb2i_wuk

Trash-

H5WgdeK0B40

JTD:

-- DMarkwick

-- ReconPathFinder

-- TRexian

Credits/Thanks:

BI for the best sandbox ever created

Pingu, for the ArmA version

OFPEC

- h- for setVariable help

- DeanosBeano for config help

ACE and PRAA

- for inspiration and motivation

PMC

- SnakeMan for support/testing

Also, I can think of no reason why this would be incompatible with OA/CO, although I haven't tried it yet.

I am interested in ALL feedback - good and bad.

And thanks to the community for continued support!

T

Edit:

Meant to say that, in the spirit of making clear the licenses, I've released this under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike license.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

:)

Edit2:

Forgot to mention the test mission. Not much to it. Several blufor as playable. Player at mission start has a mine test box in front of him to play with. There's a couple Humvees that transit through Kamenyy, to the base. There may or may not be some IEDs. There IS a road-specific IED near the base. There IS a homicide bomber who will try to infiltrate the base. There are insurgents who attack along 2 different axes, one SSE, the other ESE. There are random civilian employees on the base. There are minefields that can be spawned by the player (well, the player at mission start). There is also a minefield on the north side of the east end of the airstrip. There are also numerous vehicles to try. Once the fighting ends, you can play around with blowing stuff up.

Edited by TRexian

Thanks. My ACE2 1.3 mines seemed to have stopped working, nice to try something else.

@ D - hehe Between my mines and your smoke, we should get together! Maybe start a dev team or something. ;)

@ HyperU2 - please be aware that this was tested in an ACE-less environment. It uses a similar system to theirs in terms of player-placed mines (which actually uses a system similar to Pingu's). Different global variables and such, but I have no idea what strangeness might happen if they are used together. Good luck, and let me know how it goes. :)

I don't care where I have to use them I'm just a mine fiend. :) I'll give it a go in ACE though.

Forgot to mention the test mission. Not much to it. Several blufor as playable. Player at mission start has a mine test box in front of him to play with. There's a couple Humvees that transit through Kamenyy, to the base. There may or may not be some IEDs. There IS a road-specific IED near the base. There IS a homicide bomber who will try to infiltrate the base. There are insurgents who attack along 2 different axes, one SSE, the other ESE. There are random civilian employees on the base. There are minefields that can be spawned by the player (well, the player at mission start). There is also a minefield on the north side of the east end of the airstrip. There are also numerous vehicles to try. Once the fighting ends, you can play around with blowing stuff up.

Original post edited.

Had a little go at spawning some of these bad boys in VTS mission ..... sheer bloody brilliance !

Many thanks.

Any way to get troops from walking around the bouncing betties. Put like 50 of them in close concentration and the AI uncharacteristically wove through them like they were going through a maze. The AI really do well avoiding them all. Maybe increasing the trip radius? Amazing addon though.

Lamar

Worked fine for me with ACE when placing in the editor. I was still unable to set them manually though, so I've got some other problem with my files.

Any way to get troops from walking around the bouncing betties. Put like 50 of them in close concentration and the AI uncharacteristically wove through them like they were going through a maze. The AI really do well avoiding them all. Maybe increasing the trip radius? Amazing addon though.

Lamar

hehe

I haven't figured out a way to have the AI not avoid them. Indeed, there is some irony that they'll avoid a small can, mostly buried in the ground, but they'll walk right into a moving vehicle. (Yeah yeah yeah, I understand about pathfinding, though.) ;) I have been able to get AI set them off, but I think it is because I was ordering them in more or less a direct path across them, and I think they were in Careless behavior.

I can increase the trigger radius a bit, though. That's part of why I need some larger-scale feedback. :)

Thank you for yours!

@ HyperU2-

Can you see them in the inventory of the mine test box? :)

hehe

I haven't figured out a way to have the AI not avoid them. Indeed, there is some irony that they'll avoid a small can, mostly buried in the ground, but they'll walk right into a moving vehicle. (Yeah yeah yeah, I understand about pathfinding, though.) ;) I have been able to get AI set them off, but I think it is because I was ordering them in more or less a direct path across them, and I think they were in Careless behavior.

I can increase the trigger radius a bit, though. That's part of why I need some larger-scale feedback. :)

Thank you for yours!

@ HyperU2-

Can you see them in the inventory of the mine test box? :)

Yes and I can add them to my inventory, my problem is in the action menu. They don't show there, anti tank mines and satchels do. Happens in ACE too, problem is on my end.

Are you using an addon for soldiers/playable units? I think both of ours involve adding an action to all "CAManBase" classes (that's script-speak for all "men"). :) But, there's a chance that an addon maker either created his own class from the base class "Man" (which is more generic) or came up with his own class altogether. In that case, the action would not show up.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Try using a default USMC?

Yeah it doesn't work with anyone. It's a recent thing, the ones in ACE used to work, I'll have to purge my addons.

Thank you for your work & release TRexian :)

Works hefty fine with the SLX-Mod :ok:

Great work TRexian, been waiting for an update!

/KC

Brief update:

I am re-coding significant portions to use a setVariable implementation, instead of the global array that Pingu used. I've been able to reproduce most of the gameplay, which is good. (Ideally, the two implementations would look almost exactly the same).

But, an added feature that I'm working on is the ability to set multiple mines, and explode several at the same time (perhaps even all). Initial testing is promising, so that'll be a good feature.

Have tweaked/will continue to tweak the damage stuff. The shrapnel effect is not friendly to MP, so I need to figure something else out there.

Also, thanks to SnakeMan at PMC, there might be a couple more mines in the next release. No promises on that, though.

THX for this great addon its freak´n awesome.

We had it in our mission for test and it was very effective.We are searching for something like this vs infantry.Also good mines vs tanks are needed as the vanilla ones aren´t that effective.

iam looking forward to your next release and hoping for MP tweaks....

:bounce3:

Thank you. :)

You tested in MP, and it was fine?

As for mines v. vehicles, that is an issue with balancing the config damage values, IMHO. That is something that I would leave for BI or another group (like ACE).

So far, the new implementation looks promising, so hopefully not too too much longer. :)

Thank you. :)

You tested in MP, and it was fine?

As for mines v. vehicles, that is an issue with balancing the config damage values, IMHO. That is something that I would leave for BI or another group (like ACE).

So far, the new implementation looks promising, so hopefully not too too much longer. :)

Yes we tested it on server online in MP mission, but only the APmines cause we need them more.

Issue is if i place the mine its not there its more somewhere around me.

My buddy cant disarm it or even pick it up.thats the only thing we had problem with.

Very good. :) Well, not good that there are issues, but those are the issues I'm trying to address.

Thanks!

Edit:

Oh wait - if your friend was not an engineer, or some other class that is able to disarm mines, he may not get the action to disarm it. And, if one is disarmed, he would not be able to pick it up. But, even if he is an engineer, in that implementation, I'm not sure it would work, either.

This pack is a MUST, uploading to our dedicated and already designing a mission with it.

One Suggestion: When you see a suicide bomber running at you and you shoot him, you could add something to his gear like BAF IED or another explosive item so we know if we killed the right bastard.. :D

Edited by ArmaholicBR

hehe

Glad you like it.

And actually, when a homicide bomber is killed, there is supposed to be either an explosion of the detonation of his pack, or he 'drops' some explosives. At least... that'll be in the next release. :)

I'm also trying to work out some other way to know if you kill a 'good' civ. No real luck on getting it the way I want it, though.

I'm also trying to work out some other way to know if you kill a 'good' civ. No real luck on getting it the way I want it, though.

Please let that be up to the missionmakers! Such a feature could potentially ruin what the missionmaker had in mind.