Sign in to follow this  
Jester_Darrak

Project Phoenix - The resurrection of a legend (-ary fighter aircraft)!

Hello everybody!

This will be my very first addon for my favourite game. The F-15E Strike Eagle for ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead. Right now the airframe is in the works, completion is about 80-90%, only for the main airframe. I got the permission from [GLT]Myke to use his Air Weapons Pack as it contains everything a designated "Screaming Eagle" driver needs and is supposed to need - ok, everything but the nice SDBs, but maybe he will add them later on.^^

The story behind all this is that I was missing some kick-ass fighterbomber for close air support dashing over the target followed by a big load of either Mk82s, GBUs or even Mk20 Rockeyes. We had it in OFP, Armed Assault and ArmA2 but the model and textures did not really change since then. So I said to myself "get your ass up and start building your own Eagle".

It's main surpose shall to be used for mission makers:

A single or a pair of Strike Eagle entering the scene, blasting enemies to hell and making big f-ing noise while leaving with full afterburner.

For second I would recommend the Strike Eagle for Surveillance and Close Air Support (player operated). In large scale battles the integrated imaging devices gives the airmen a good view of the fight on the ground. Direct allied ground troops, assign and prioritize targets to allied air forces and reinforcements, overwatch held positions and hills or deliver some 500lbs+ goods to hostile troops.

And last but not least: have fun with one of the (if not the very) best multirole fighterbomber available.

The ability of the Strike Eagle to carry a total of 11.000 kilogramms of weapons into battle makes it the first choice for ground troops when it comes to pure destruction power. The GAU/8 cannon of the A-10 Warthog might have power - but it's nothing compared to the fast Strike Eagle coming in almost hypersonic with up to 26 little gadgets under it's wings.

This is carpet-bombing at it's best!

The feature list is still not written but there are some things that might make the way into first release:

- high quality sounds including sonic boom and fully animated, realistic start-up sequence

- working and useful MFDs for both pilot and WSO

- afterburners and hypersonic flight (dare not to keep an eye on your altitute)

Sorry that there are no pictures in here right now but I am rendering the hell out of my computer but it won't get faster. But they will come soon.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

The first render is done, here is the result:

F15E_01.jpgF15E_02.jpg

Edited by Jester_Darrak

W00t a thread. Looking forward to screenies :D

By working MFDs... you mean like animated or usable?

looking good!

the F15 is probably my second favourite fighter jet after the F16, cant wait for this to be out :)

About the MFDs: The plan is to remove all GUI from ArmA and put every information into the MFDs. Heading, weapon status, "health" of aircraft, target information and so on. I need to talk to Myke about that and sort out what I can use and what not. But in the end it will be necessary to have 2 human players in the seats to get the best out of it.

Anyways, I got a new picture for you:

After a exhausting week in work I started to re-model the airbrake and its bay. Still some tweaking needed, but it looks good so far. Here it is:

F15E_03.jpgF15E_04.jpg

Edited by Jester_Darrak
Added 2nd render

very very nice, can't wait for this baby. Good to see such attention taken to all the small bits.

Ok guys, I wrote once that I'll try to implement the F-15's variable intake geometry. Now that I've seen this video I think that with ArmA2 it will not be possible. What I will try is to have the intake position relative to speed. The curve goes from low intake profile at low speeds to high profile at medium speeds and again low profile reaching the barrier of sound. I also will see if it is possible to make the intake position relative to AoA. But since then I will have to see that short clip again and again until I can see a pattern behind all this.

Another thing that has to be mentioned: I will rework the complete underbody ranging from intakes to engines, including the conformal fuel tanks. Somehow I don't get the parts together properly which leaves me no choice than creating them again. Unfortunately this will kill my schedule (ETA 5 weeks) but on the other hand most of the parts have been re-done since I started. This exclude the underbody, CFTs and wings (the wings are fine, I won't make them again too^^) so I am just following the red line that started with the accidential erase of the first engine nozzles.

Anyways, work continues but the further you come with a project, the more it slows down. Fortunately there are enough small pieces and details to be done like antennas, cooling intakess and all that stuff so that it is not that hard to keep motivation up. No worries about that.

I'm still looking for people to join the project helping out with textures, know-how, research capabilities or just knowledge because they worked with that baby. Anyone is welcome so don't be shy.

"the further you come with a project, the more it slows down"

Heh in my case w/ the carrier it's more like the further you come, the more you find to add.

But hey the airbrake looks great. What do you mean "didnt get the parts together properly"?

Ok guys, I wrote once that I'll try to implement the F-15's variable intake geometry. Now that I've seen this video I think that with ArmA2 it will not be possible. What I will try is to have the intake position relative to speed. The curve goes from low intake profile at low speeds to high profile at medium speeds and again low profile reaching the barrier of sound. I also will see if it is possible to make the intake position relative to AoA. But since then I will have to see that short clip again and again until I can see a pattern behind all this.

Another thing that has to be mentioned: I will rework the complete underbody ranging from intakes to engines, including the conformal fuel tanks. Somehow I don't get the parts together properly which leaves me no choice than creating them again. Unfortunately this will kill my schedule (ETA 5 weeks) but on the other hand most of the parts have been re-done since I started. This exclude the underbody, CFTs and wings (the wings are fine, I won't make them again too^^) so I am just following the red line that started with the accidential erase of the first engine nozzles.

Anyways, work continues but the further you come with a project, the more it slows down. Fortunately there are enough small pieces and details to be done like antennas, cooling intakess and all that stuff so that it is not that hard to keep motivation up. No worries about that.

I'm still looking for people to join the project helping out with textures, know-how, research capabilities or just knowledge because they worked with that baby. Anyone is welcome so don't be shy.

Lo mate you could mate the air intakes speed related using the 'speed' variable, so the faster the jet goes they move slightly higher etc, when it slows down they would drop down again.

You also have to think of the effect versus time etc, would be nice to have but not 100% important, either way you could get it working etc.

Southy

Lo mate you could mate the air intakes speed related using the 'speed' variable, so the faster the jet goes they move slightly higher etc, when it slows down they would drop down again.

You also have to think of the effect versus time etc, would be nice to have but not 100% important, either way you could get it working etc.

Southy

I've already spoken to Jester and possibly a datamix of speed, AOA, bank angle and g-force can give a near appropriate source for more or less accurate animation. Will surely take some time to weigh each factor and include all into a formula that gives a good simulation.

Ok, here's an update of the work done so far with the underbody:

Handwerk_38.jpg

Obviously it's not final, but works fine for me so far. Had a lot issues with adding new blueprints and afterwards startet playing around with different tools/options. But in the end it's worth it.

On a side note: I have about 50-60 revisions since I started, from scratch to actual model ranging from approx. 200-12.000 polys (not yet optimized/triangulated).

@JDog: What I mean is, that the further you come with your work it gets harder to make progress. It's just tweaking things, at least on my eagle, as you keep pushing some things down the road.

@everyone else: Thank you for your help and positive feedback. I wasn't wrong when I thought that this beauty is really needed.

€dit: Work proceeds, gear bay added and doors pre-animated, just to test if it fits. And it does fit! :) Didn't expect it but I might finish the underbody tomorrow, only CFTs left then.

Handwerk_39a.jpgHandwerk_39b.jpgHandwerk_40.jpg

Edited by Jester_Darrak

Man, the F-16 and the F-15 together, working pretty much the same, I am in love.

Jester and me are in close contact so chances are good that most if not all improvements of the F-16 will find theyr way into the F-15. No promise though. ;)

Beautiful, can't wait to rip the sky apart with it. :yay:

How's the project coming along? Any maiden flights yet?

I look forward to being able to test because it is really a beautiful model, and make drooling and poor Russian SU-34!

hat the artist:yay:

Aw, sorry for long time no see. Got my good rig (quad-core is better than dual-core) back some days ago and then got a new job.

I'm in lack of time at the moment so there is and will not be much progress in the next couple of weeks. I am working for BMW in a 6-day nightshift only contract. It's pretty exhausting but don't worry, I will continue as soon as I can.

The scedule is torn apart but even the Duke will come in some time. So no worry, there will be a Strike Eagle. ;)

Beautiful model, but I have to admit Im more interested in the working Displays.

In Operation Flashpoint many addons featured interactive displays, so far I have not seen such a thing in ArmA II.

Well, the displays are a issue for their own, but I got Myke helping me on this when it comes to that point. I say again, if someone has experience on working on or in F-15E please contact me, I need every help I can get with it.

Sorry for the long time without an update. But actually my work and my free-time do collide horribly. It's no use but to tell you that this project is delayed to unknown. But it's not dead! Forecasts see a little time left in late december and january to at least attemt to complete the model. Still I hope to find someone to help me with this project with knowledge either of modding or the plane itself.

I really hope to get the first release finished until Eastern but no guarantee on that. So, stay tuned, bookmark this thread and cross your fingers to help me improve my career situation.

Anyways, thank you for your response and critics, it really helps me to go on. Your patience will pay off, I promise!

Btw: Pick a little bit on [GLT]Myke to push him, he has really awesome stuff that really needs to be released, honestly. ;)

Greetings, Jester

Somehow I found some time to work on my baby again. First thing I did was to rework the whole front fuselage section. Difference maybe limited but it looks way better than before. If you focus on the wind shield you may see what I mean. I also changed some things with the gals of the canopy and the wind shield, it looks better now, too. There is still a lot work with the canopy frame and the rear section of the front fuselage.

right now I only have one render for you as I am still playing around with all the lighting options Max offers to me.

wipwiphurra_16.png

Next I will work on, beside the things already mentioned, are the intakes. The seem not proper to me, so I will rework them. Cross your fingers that I get enough time to work on it.

As a side note: The progress you see is the work of one day. I spent 4 days playing with different tools and options to get it work as I wanted to.

That's it so far, stay tuned.

Jester

Got a little further, canopy/ front fuselage section seems to be done now. But I'm not sure, maybe I will do it again, still undecided. Anyways, here is another render:

wipwiphurra_17.png

Compare if you like, maybe you will find the details. ;)

Edited by Jester_Darrak