Sign in to follow this  
xps

thermal vision

does this game have thermal image like the predator just like in alien vs predator :D

duno but the ti in this game is not very realistic. The seats stay cold, when they should warm up over a period of time

does this game support it if a modder made it

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

damn i want the thermal vision just like the predator would be AWSOME :bounce3:

@Fox'09:

Srsly?

@xps:

I don't know if much is know about how it's done. Without the black and white filter the background is red and things get progressively more yellow as they get warmer. If it's possible to do a gradient blending filter in post it would be possible.

awsome :eek: i dont no how to mod this game but maybe some smart modder can make it :) i really wana see this using the heli camera :cool:

awsome :eek: i dont no how to mod this game but maybe some smart modder can make it :) i really wana see this using the heli camera :cool:

It all depends on how far the user can go with post processing and shaders. I have no knowledge of this. All I know is that it's technically possible to replace one colour or shade with another colour or shade in other programs. It's a procedure that simply substitutes one colour for another from a table. I have no idea how this relates to real time rendering, high dynamic range rendering, video hardware, or the RV engine.

Cmon fox, don't complain about the Thermal imaging, unless the "complaint" you made was a joke. There are tons of details like that that would take forever to make into game. I'm happy with the fact that its the most realistic available so far :p

well if they're going for realistic the seats should at LEAST warm up. forget the engine crap

^ obvious sarcasm noted.

Max, I think he wants the Thermal that we have in scopes, without having to use the scopes. He wants it to be always on, or for it to be activated like having night vision goggles. Interesting idea, but possibly the wrong forum section

^ obvious sarcasm noted.

Max, I think he wants the Thermal that we have in scopes, without having to use the scopes. He wants it to be always on, or for it to be activated like having night vision goggles. Interesting idea, but possibly the wrong forum section

I think he means images like a thermographic camera that measures temperatures and displays them as coloured bands. I think that's what he means when he says 'thermal image'.

Predator%20-%20Scanning%20in%20Thermal%20Vision%203.jpg

Yeah, but I'd say in military it's more useful (better to look at) if it's just black and white.

I think he means images like a thermographic camera that measures temperatures and displays them as coloured bands. I think that's what he means when he says 'thermal image'.

yup thats the vision i want would be cool for gun scopes/camera on ah64 + be able to use like the night vision googles :)

Edited by W0lle
quoted image

Yeah, but I'd say in military it's more useful (better to look at) if it's just black and white.

Truth be told black and white isn't the only color the military uses for thermal..most often it's greyscale, green and red but only those colors, more vibrant with more heat.

Since the thermal that we see is done via textures shouldn't it then be possible to simply redo the textures to reflect whatever you want, be is a more specific kind of flir with less white and more color or to be more fuzzy and reflect previous gen thermal systems.

http://developer.vbs2.com/onlinehelp/Content/Adding_Models/How_to/AMHT_Thermal_Imaging_How.htm

xps

Please do not quote images/videos.

One of the big problems with thermal in Arma 2 is the lack of concealment, with the second being the apparent low-ambient temperature of takistan. Mixed together and thermal stands out at being extremely powerful, to the extent I rarely use it on infantry weapons as it feels like cheat vision.

Aside from that, it's great on helicopters and tanks, making them even more useful on the battlefield.

Same goes for NVGs and their unlimited reach. Also cheat vision. Put them together and achieve 2 x cheat vision? No thanks.

Well to be fair, it must feel like "cheat vision" to the guys actually using it in the field in Afganistan or Iraq. That's kinda the whole point of it.;)

Same goes for NVGs and their unlimited reach. Also cheat vision. Put them together and achieve 2 x cheat vision? No thanks.

Yes please! Unfair advantages mean I don't get killed. I'd imagine that's what soldiers like as well.

As for unlimited range, you'll notice as soon as you right click hold NV disables itself. Doesn't turn off, but becomes completely useless.

Uhm, that's probably when you enter a scope. You can't use NVGoggles with a scope. That's why we have dedicated NV scopes. Oddly we can still use them with red dot sights etc, but even this would be very hard in real life.

I've found that I can use the (currently undocumented) command currentVisionMode with setViewdistance, which is nice for immersion. As for advantages, you still get extreme contrast at any light conditions, and that I'm not able to touch since ppEffect colorcorrections won't work in NVG mode (probably forces its own colorcorrections which doesn't bring down contrast).

Edited by CarlGustaffa

After cracking open the pbo's it seems that rocks, tree's and land..probably even buildings, do not actually have TI maps...the only things that appear to carry the thermal maps are infantry and vehicles.

tencharsof

No.

I think I may have to correct you on this one ;)

true setCamUseTi 6; //Really strange syntax if you ask me...

Values as far as I could figure out:

0 - White Hot

1 - Black Hot

2 - Green Hot

3 - Green Cold (Same as Black hot but with green colors)

4 - Orange Hot

5 - Orange Cold (Same as Black hot but with green colors)

6 - Spectrum? (Not sure what to call this mode)

7 - Blue Cold (Very high contrast, unsure what it relates to)

Works for cameras. And some of the modes I've seen in different weapon systems, such as that orange thing for the Metis launcher.

@NodUnit:

That's to be expected I think, considering nothing would cause a change. But I still would like for these "other objects" to automatically be close to the ambient temperature, so that contrast is somewhat lost (not completely, but less trivial) during the day.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Well to be fair, it must feel like "cheat vision" to the guys actually using it in the field in Afganistan or Iraq. That's kinda the whole point of it.;)

Except that OA simulates it better than real life. The resolution and contrast seems far too good to my untrained eye.

Yes please! Unfair advantages mean I don't get killed. I'd imagine that's what soldiers like as well.

We're playing this to get a kick out of it, yes? Sitting in my virtual cockpit at stand off range and mowing down glowing white enemy silhouettes doesn't exactly get the blood pumping. Not as much as madly scanning for the hazy white smear that is either a civi scrambling for cover, or an insurgent aiming an RPG...

Edited by Daniel