Sign in to follow this  
kyle382

2010 and still warping/lag

How is it being morons to expect people will stop writing rants in capitals, saying the game is crap and is going to toilets, etc.... over, you said it yourself, a minor issue?

Very much so it's a minor issue, How ever I find it incredibly annoying nay idiotic to Comparing a game of Arma: Operation arrowhead quality (A MILSIM) to a game of Battlefield 2 (FPS) quality, It's beyond me it really is, instead of re posting the same style thread, totally disregarding the search button or even not bothering is some what moronic, and every one seems to be comparing this game to CODMW2, C'mon! if this game doesn't live up to CODS epic standards why buy it.

I do believe this issue is going to be patched, Steam users may have to wait a while, watch this thread as I'll post as soon as I find out.

Believe it or not, in some game forums developers do actually respond to reasonable suggestions...

If you spend some time reading this forum (and the CIT) you will notice that BIS is one of those developers. Actually one of the most active/responsive one's I encountered during my 30+ years of games/simulators!

As wispher already said...

They are trying constantly to improve on gamecode, and dealing with lag is part of it. If they didn't come with the magical solution yet, I would say the solution is not as easy as it looks.

No one is against improvements and there have been literally 1000's of them since OFP days!

/KC

Yep I have said about this a few times and tbh I don't think it can be fixed or they would have done.

Its not all lag etc its the net code I have heard of it over LAN.

Its the warping when Sniping via a scope it pees me off as I am all ways a sniper.

Very much so it's a minor issue, How ever I find it incredibly annoying nay idiotic to Comparing a game of Arma: Operation arrowhead quality (A MILSIM) to a game of Battlefield 2 (FPS) quality, It's beyond me it really is, instead of re posting the same style thread, totally disregarding the search button or even not bothering is some what moronic, and every one seems to be comparing this game to CODMW2, C'mon! if this game doesn't live up to CODS epic standards why buy it.

I do believe this issue is going to be patched, Steam users may have to wait a while, watch this thread as I'll post as soon as I find out.

an impressive rage, however i find your logic flawed. When it comes to military simulators there really is no other option than arma2. America's army 3 is just sooo terrible etc. Really the closest comparison are other large scale FPS games...battlefield2 being one of the most popular examples.

nobody is really debating the quality of either game here. Both games have their + and -, but are different in that one is technically a military simulator...thou I have to say. In the real world, enemies don't warp because this isn't startrek...its 2010.:butbut:

an impressive rage, however i find your logic flawed. When it comes to military simulators there really is no other option than arma2. America's army 3 is just sooo terrible etc. Really the closest comparison are other large scale FPS games...battlefield2 being one of the most popular examples.

nobody is really debating the quality of either game here. Both games have their + and -, but are different in that one is technically a military simulator...thou I have to say. In the real world, enemies don't warp because this isn't startrek...its 2010.:butbut:

Hell, if someone tried attempting a milsim I bet it would beat ARMA.

Sadly, no PC-Game giants gives a shit about slow and tactical games really.

Its the warping when Sniping via a scope it pees me off as I am all ways a sniper.

IIRC you can adjust/improve this lag/warp server side (in the CFG-file) if you have enough CPU as well as bandwidth (and low latency) available for your server.

Hell, if someone tried attempting a milsim I bet it would beat ARMA.

Wasn't there someone trying just that last year ? :)

I'm not saying A2 is perfect in every aspect (very few things are) but this serie is IMHO still the best we have when it comes to large scale combined arms simulators that includes infantry/armour/planes/helis/boats/cars/etc and I'm pretty amazed how far we come since OFP 1.00!

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

For the record can people stop saying stupid shi*t like - 'Go play COD' 'Go play Bf2 if you don't like it'

No, morons I brought this game because of how stunning and how much enjoyment i can get out of it, It's 1 minor issue that can be fixed.

no .... now go play COD or Bf2. If BIS was going to fix it don't you think they would have done it by now?

no .... now go play COD or Bf2. If BIS was going to fix it don't you think they would have done it by now?

These are the kind of things that dont help the situation, and if I was an admin, a high post count wouldn't help them either in the flaming and getting away with it context.:j:

To communicate to all the flamers the truth of the matter, there really is a problem with warping in lag, if 100's of threads dont say anything, then the fact that any game you join, regardless of server load, lags and warps. Perhaps you are used to it to not notice, but in other games people expect smooth gameplay online. AvP2 was one of those fail games in multiplayer when it came to lag and warping. Its the same problem in arma2. The developers are starting to fix these types of things, so everybody needs to respect that as well. I really cant stand flaming, no matter what side its on.

Has anyone actually experimented with minErrorToSend? It seems like it could make a big difference.

Most warping from games comes from client prediction, ie: a unit is moving east, so the server tells the client "this unit is moving east, at 5km/h", if the unit changes direction, the client doesn't know this until the server sends off another update, and the client assumes it's still moving the same direction.

The easiest way to recreate this is to get two players in a server, one player driving a HMMWV and another in the passenger seat. The vehicle seems completely smooth to the client while moving in a straight line, but any amount of network lag will cause the client to begin predicting where the car will be. If the player takes a sudden sharp left turn, in the presence of lag, the client's game will assume the car traveled straight, only to be told 1/4 of a second later by the server that it didn't. This creates the illusion of teleporting / warping.

I'd imagine it's largely present in ArmA2 simply from the game's scale, real-time updates that other games can easily provide aren't always possible. For example, having to send a Warfare mission's ~500 unit positions, directions and current velocity over the network to every player several times per second is definitely not bandwidth friendly, even for higher bandwidth servers, so it gets toned down a little (a lot).

Some extra reading for those that are interested:

Wikipedia - Lag (online gaming) - in particular the lag compensation section.

Source Multiplayer Networking - lots of info here, from the Source engine and mainly related to hitbox detection, but the general idea of interpolation and extrapolation is exactly the same.

These are the kind of things that dont help the situation, and if I was an admin, a high post count wouldn't help them either in the flaming and getting away with it context.:j:

To communicate to all the flamers the truth of the matter, there really is a problem with warping in lag, if 100's of threads dont say anything, then the fact that any game you join, regardless of server load, lags and warps. Perhaps you are used to it to not notice, but in other games people expect smooth gameplay online. AvP2 was one of those fail games in multiplayer when it came to lag and warping. Its the same problem in arma2. The developers are starting to fix these types of things, so everybody needs to respect that as well. I really cant stand flaming, no matter what side its on.

Awww, because the "no morons blablabla.... " thing is perfectly legit to you, but when it's an "opposing" point of view talking the same, it's suddenly a flamer? Double standards, tbh

the fact that any game you join, regardless of server load, lags and warps
Please define.

Some units in a 30 minutes game will warp during 10 seconds when looked at 500m distance? Definitely

Everyone warps around all the time? Definitely not, I wouldn't play the damn game if that was the case.

Exagerations, hyperboles, rants done like crazy, will not help define what goes wrong. It will just add more people that find these opinions exagerated in the mix, and will result in nothing interesting. It's looking for a useless forum fight rather than for a solution

Stop with the, go play this, go play that, the game sucks because it doesn't do this or that, stick to the issue at hand please or be considered as "spamming".

I contacted BIS via Email because I was annoyed with trawling the mass threads with the same subject and no response from BIS

Hi,

Really you're best off raising the issue in the forums to see if anyone

else has such an issue right now with OA, I don't recall seeing any such

reports but then I don't monitor the MP forum as closely as others,

funnily enough I did come across a "ping spike fix" today when looking

for something myself, not sure if it's related or even if it's a

reliable fix so I give you the link with a cautionary note to always

backup your registry if you make any changes:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...lass+Scheduler

But either way definitely raise it in our forums.

Regards,

Paul.

Read what is written in RED and do as it says, neither me or Paul (member of bis) take responsibility for how your computer may be effected because you didn't read the caution.

That Paul dude sounds awesome!

In all seriousness though has anyone tried the fix and does it make any difference to the ping spike issue? I have done the fix myself but I don't game online so I'm not the best example, at least my PC hasn't gone up in a ball of flame since trying it :)

constructive.

Has anyone actually experimented with minErrorToSend? It seems like it could make a big difference.

Thats the config parameter I was thinking about. Currently I have no A2 server up but tweaking above config parameter made quite a difference when I had a server up for A1.

/KC