Sign in to follow this  
ladlon

Still no full game manual (NOT editing manual)?

Hi, I got myself Arma2 (never owned the previous games, but certainly was interested in them). Very impressed so far, except for one thing (which has been touched on by others)... the documentation.

Now, I'm not talking about how to use the Editor and all that... Just a COMPLETE guide for playing the sim itself (...explanations of all the squad/menu commands, weapons, etc). The physical manual touches on the basics, but leaves a LOT out. The in-game tutorials aren't bad, but again leave out a lot of things.

I was surprised there are (seemingly) no user-made guides, let alone an official one. I fully understand the economic reasons for the (relatively) small physical manual, but was surprised to see there was no larger/more complete PDF manual included.

My searches online have found a random assortment of EDITOR tutorials (...some horrible and useless, some good....), but so far nothing much on further commands, etc for playing/controlling squads. The Dslyecxi guide that everyone points to (when people ask about a guide) doesn't go over any of the actual sim commands... just more of a 'tactics and procedure' type of thing.

I was pleased to see some 'tutoring' during the campaign, but found that often the text notes that pop up in the top right didn't seem to jive with reality (...like the notes about the compass display... 'yellow arrow points north, yellow line points to objective'... that didn't seem to be true, and there was no line!). Also, those notes fly by pretty fast (while you are focused on the sim). Would be nice if they were stored (or available) for review again.

Anyway, I'm trying to learn the sim by trial and error, but some sort of (complete) documentation would be great... So just checking in to see if anything new has surfaced.

Me too - there are a fewstandalone pdf guides around for CTI if you search - but initially its largely trial and error.

The problem is that most people of the inclination to produce detailed guides probably already did that for Arma 1, and the games not changed that much since. Does make it hard for new players though.

This is a good link for CTI http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Arma-2-Warfare----Quick-Beginners-Guide

Ya, for me, it's really just a need for a COMPLETE manual... not so much a complex one. Just something that goes through EACH menu item (ex. all the commands for a satchel charge), etc. Granted, some of them are self-explanatory, or can be figured out with trial and error... but that's all relative. Some people may have no problem (...maybe they are knowledgeable in military hardware/procedures, etc)... while others will be left clueless and frustrated (...and constantly getting killed, making it hard to try things!).

I recently figured out 'little things' like the command to trigger a satchel charge remotely (....it's name, which I don't recall, isn't self explanation... but I DID figure it out... after blowing myself up by selecting it while I was placing charges)...... as well as the 'turn out'(?) command while in a vehicle (....again, no clue what it was, based on the wording, but figured it out by trying it).

I had a go for the first time with a laser designator... Again, I had a basic understanding of the concept, but not a full understanding of how to use/control it in the sim itself. Wasn't sure if I had to press the mouse button the whole time (until the target was hit), or if I even had to keep the laser aimed at the target while I was waiting for it to be hit.

Kind of frustrating... but not in a 'this game sucks, I'm going back to playing Halo' kind of way. I love the 'sim/realistic' nature of it, and really want to fully understand everything so I can really get into this. I'm hoping my (many) questions that I'm posting now aren't going to get me seen as some guy who doesn't read manuals, or whines about things being too hard. Give me a 300 page manual, and I'll gladly read it!

I agree that a decent manual is needed. Perhaps someone will create a documentation for ACE2 when it is final.

If you want to learn how to play, I suggest to read the famous guide by Dsl and the hints section of the Biki. If you just want to learn the various keystrokes and what they do, you may want to take a quick look at the file in my signature. I have recently added the key commands for ACE2 but this version is not online, yet. If you are interested in the ACE2 keystrokes, please check the Ace2 wiki.

while i agree there is no exactly 'per se' fully all changes incorporating manual about editor there is quite 'content' packed wiki

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Mission_Editor

but that's mainly related just to editor, rest of things like script commands and other is already covered in wiki

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Editing

for rest you need look to

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Editing

example some of modules info : http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:ArmA_2:_Editor_Modules

also i would suggest to click at the Category at bottom so You can find each subject You want :)

and not to mention editing guide for ARMA 1 from Murray which is 300+ pages

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

I'll have to look into that again. The Dslyecxi guide didn't do much for me (in terms of an explanation of the sim's menu commands (....I agree, it's great for tactics, etc, though). Key commands I think I have nailed (as the manual covers that). It's really more about what the various sub-commands do/are.... as well as some of the squad commands beyond the basic ones covered extensively in the manual or vids.

Part of it too is just the vocabulary. To an outsider, that can be a real issue. A menu command can be very self-explanatory if you are familiar with the acronym or name used in it... but completely foreign if you do not. Simple example.... 'Turn Out' (?). I had no idea what that was. Thought for a while that it was maybe some sort of sharp turn!

I imagine that many of the hard core military guys here are face slapping at the sight of some of these questions... but they do have to remember that some people are not familiar with military vocabulary or methods... and I would gladly learn it all, if I had a manual! :)

@DWARDEN... No, I'm not looking for anything on the Editor.... That there IS a lot of. I'm looking for a guide on how to play the sim (ALL squad controls, ALL menu commands, weapon descriptions/methods, etc).

Edited by ladlon

The most helpful thing I could suggest at this point is experiment. Place yourself down in the editor with a group, maybe a few enemies, and try things out. Helps teach you what's good cover and what's not, what the most effective way to use each weapon is and plenty more. :)

There is a very good thread about military dictionaries somewhere on this forum (use the search function if you're interested). There you can find explanations of acronyms, abbreviations, etc.

But if you have already done some reading you might consider playing with humans who are willing to teach you some tricks. What Simon C suggests will also work but you will probably spend more time than necessary. AI in the editor kills you but doesn't help you to get better.

Edited by Alpha-Kilo

Bring back the days when games came with large hard back 80 page manuals - hmmm

A manual for Arma should have 2 volumes - one for commands and game modes and the other with purely technical information on all the equipment and weapon - ranges, top speed etc

Edited by Graw2Pro

Hello again.

Hrmm.... Well, in regards to some of the guides pointed out, they all seem to stop at the same point. All of them go to a certain point (covering how to select guys, order them to move, etc)... but all stop short there.

Definitely have to set up some stuff in the editor and try it... although some of the things I'm confused about are things that happen in the heat of the battle (various medical attention things, etc). But, I'll see what I can do.

One thing that really frustrates me with guides in general, though, is when the 'explanation' is simply a repeat of the label that it is explaining!

Hypothetical example... You have a slider called 'Modulation bias' and the guide points at it and says 'Controls the bias of the modulation'. Grrrrrr......

I don't know... I'm feeling like I'm being a real prick here. Hopefully that's not what's coming across. There's just so much that's not covered by any of the manuals or tutorials. I'm pretty familiar with weapons, vehicles and stuff... but the context menu system is confusing me at times. Battling with the controls very often, not sure why things aren't happening (or ARE happening)... why squadmates are doing (or not doing) what they are doing... what some of the icons mean (on the map, in the 3D interface)...

Have you tried Dslyecxi's Tactics manual? It doesn't tell you which keys to use for each thing, and it seems to be orientated towards multiplayer squads, but it does show how to use certain things and such. I think the Basic Rifleman and Vehicle Usage sections will help alot in particular.

Yep, everyone is pointing to that for anyone who asks about manuals. It's great, as I said, for 'tactics' and such... but does not address the SIM itself (menu commands, etc). Once you DO know all the menu commands (what they mean, how they work, etc), then that guide is a great addition...

Man, it took me a long time to figure out how to throw a grenade! I'm still not too clear on the grenade launcher... how to specify what 'grenade' for it to fire (red, green, regular grenade, etc).

I've never understood the scale/target display on a grenade launcher... as no game I've had ever explained it.

Also, I don't get the crosshair display when you manually throw a grenade... You have a dot in the center, but also a circle above. Does the circle represent the landing spot, or the apex of the throw?.... or what?

I suppose BIS just assumed most of us would be experienced Operation Flashpoint players (which did get a good manual, at least it taught me everything i needed to know).

I have had absolutely 0 trouble getting into ArmA 2 because of that.

Still, some documentation is ofcourse very necessary for this type of game, and would even be useful for the veterans if some basics of the new gamemodes were explained (high-command feature, stuff like that).

Honestly, probably the easiest way of learning everything is playing on a server and just asking people (preferably over mic) if you get stuck. The problem is that some servers are more "noob friendly" than others. If you head over the the tactical gamer servers, most people there are happy to help, plus they play serious missions (not 24/7 domi) and use tactics.

edit: one other thing, don't practice flying in MP. Fire up the editor and drop a plan/helo whatever and practice in there. There is nothing more frustrating/rage inducing than a new player crashing a helo full of players because he doesn't know how to fly.

Ya, I don't really do the multiplayer thing... yet at least. Never really did multiplayer for any games. Most often, because you get destroyed by the hardcore guys (in any mp game).

Granted, co-op looks really great!

I suppose what I'll do is just keep a list of things I'm not sure of as I tinker around, and then post them. I'll try and try things out before doing quick posts, so you guys are not completely flooded by my stuff!

Well the fact that your trying the game and not giving up within 2 seconds is a good start :).

Hehehe... Right on!

Ya, I'm sort of an in between status... I'm not a Halo playing, 'Fast Travel is essential' type of guy, who thinks anything that is actually realistic or in-depth sucks.... but at the same time, I'm not a 'whip your ass with both hands tied behind my back', 'I can disassemble and reassemble every piece of hardware in the current army' kind of guy either.

I love simulation and immersion. I'm late to the Arma world (just stared a week ago, as this is my first Arma purchase). Closest I've been up to then is the old Rainbow Six series and (dare I say) Battlefield (....ya, I know, but it IS a fun 'Hollywood' type of warfare experience.... and that's partially because I always played offline against bots, and not online with Jedi-powered, bunny hopping, pimple-faced nemisis guy).

But, ya, I LOVE the fact that it's very real... and I actually LOVE the 'discipline' and 'order' (as opposed to the Rambo, do anything kinda scenario). The teamwork, the coordination, the scoping around and slow approach... Love it!

Definitely not giving up on this one. Ya, there's quite a few bugs (even with my very superficial exploration of it so far), but it's also doing SO much. Looks great, too. Same thing with STALKER... Sure, a bit rough in spots, but it's great to freely wander through a live, atmospheric world. It's hard to contain things that are dynamic and complex, compared to the usual scripted crap (where they can not only control what is happening, but practically where you are looking!).

I tend to be an offline player... Usually content with 'wandering around' or setting up some random stuff in the editor, as opposed to playing online, or even doing the campaign.

So far, the editor is quite intuitive, though I could certainly use a guide for some of the elements (....like a description of each of the modules. Some are self-explanatory, but others aren't). You'll be seeing a lot of posts by me, asking about stuff like that... but it's only because I really WANT to experience this sim. Definitely a gem!

All the gaming companies that whine and bitch about piracy can F off.... ffs if they included actual physical manuals that where full of valuable info, lots of pics of weapons and vehicles with descriptions, tactics and manoeuvres etc etc etc etc etc.... why? because it can't be downloaded and maybe they could convince more ppl to purchase their products instead of stealing it, thing is companies these day don't really want to spend money to make it so everything from the avarage software... in paper sleeves... in a cardboard box... with a completely BS, piss weak manual all fits the budget... no wonder ppl don't care for the real thing because it offeres no extras that cant be downloaded...

my 2 cents

edit: this is not directed at BI as they are one of two companies that give a shit and support their product which is supporting us :)... even though the ArmA2 manual was worthless except for the cd key stuck to it... :P

Honestly, probably the easiest way of learning everything is playing on a server and just asking people (preferably over mic) if you get stuck. The problem is that some servers are more "noob friendly" than others.

If you live in the Oceanic region (Australia/NZ/SE Asia) then OGN (Oceanic Gaming Network) is the place to go for A2's best Aussie servers... best admined Ozzy servers (1x PvP, 1x COOP), best selection of missions updated daily (my job), great and friendly members.... and OGN is a community gaming network not some crappy corporate pig :)

Edited by 76
correct that BI are COOL!

Bring back the days when games came with large hard back 80 page manuals - hmmm

I remember when i got Falcon 4.0 it came with a HUGE manual.... i never read it just used the keyboard layout sheet.

I remember when i got Falcon 4.0 it came with a HUGE manual.... i never read it just used the keyboard layout sheet.

HAHA same here. :D

I guess a more comprehensive manual would make this game easier for newcomers, but we do have all solutions around the community websites and forums. Searching & reading through the appropriate sections on this forum plus OFPEC and Armaholic will teach you more than a manual could ever do. What buttons to use is easy to figure out since we have the controls option section in the game. But to learn the editor and more would require a manual bigger than the "good old book". The info to learn most of ARMA2 would need a book so big it would cost a small fortune to print and buy. Fortunatelly this information is on the mentioned websites. Even live info provided by asking questions on the forums. :)

but we do have all solutions around the community websites and forums.

I still think there is some responsibility for the developer of a software product to provide it with a decent manual about the user interface, game interaction etc. Sure, there is a lot to be found on the internet, and maybe this will all become standard in the Digital Download age of gaming, but nobody can deny that ArmA 2 simply lacks a sophisticated manual about all the in-game features it offers. Besides that, not everybody uses forums/wiki's or the internet to find more about a product they bought for e.g. offline play (or when they are still on dial-up in rural areas). Add to that that definitely not everyone will register or look for forums of all the games they buy.

Regarding the lack of information in the manual, I seriously had to check in-game what every numeric button (1-8) was tied to (like action,mount,formation etc) and write that down on a piece of paper to keep next to my monitor. Maybe I missed something in the manual, but every time I actually want to really know more about a command or interface option the game manual lacks any decent explanation or doesn't even mention it at all.

I think it's the responsibility of the developer to provide decent documentation, it doesn't even have to be printed, digital pdf format is good too, as long as the customer doesn't have to search around the internet to get some basic product information via 3rd party websites or wikis. It should be part of the package in the first place, located in the installation folder in digital format or printed and provided with the game discs.

PS.

Welcome to ArmA ladlon, it seems that you have the right mindset and enthusiasm to appreciate this little gem :)

Edited by zoog

If you live in the Oceanic region (Australia/NZ/SE Asia) then OGN (Oceanic Gaming Network) is the place to go for A2's best Aussie servers... best admined Ozzy servers (1x PvP, 1x COOP), best selection of missions updated daily (my job), great and friendly members.... and OGN is a community gaming network not some crappy corporate pig :)

No offence to OGN (I hope they come back) but I would have to disagree with this to an extent. Everytime I come on it's the same rambo domination being played. I gave up on aussie public servers a long time ago, however, check out the link in my sig and it my intentions may interest you :)