Sign in to follow this  
Avgeris

Recieving black screen, game unplayable

After a while when I play a black srceen appears that says receiving... and a while vertical line appears like a flush i can see the kills below the score everything but I cant really play.

Whats the problem? I cant even alt+tab.

I mean come on i payed almost 50euros

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Manufacturer:

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Processor:

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)

Memory:

2046MB RAM

Hard Drive:

250 GB

Video Card:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

Monitor:

SyncMaster T220HD/T220MD(Digital)

Sound Card:

Realtek HD Audio output

Speakers/Headphones:

Steelsound

Keyboard:

Logitech Media

Mouse:

Logitech HID-compliant G5 Laser Mouse

Mouse Surface:

Steelpad 4S

Operating System:

Vista

** Removed suggestion as it is not needed mod will sort **

Edited by Thr0tt

i want to work vista cause of the memory. flush did nothing i tried it

Some installations default the screen refresh rate to 75Hz which many monitors do not support.

Try editing the basic config file with a text editor (note pad).

in my documents in XP & C:\Users\user\Documents\ArmA 2 for vista

file

ArmA2.cfg

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1600;

refresh=60; <-------- sometimes 75Hz which will give black screen

Render_W=2086;

Render_H=1564;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=524222464;

nonlocalVRAM=803512320;

i am at 60 by defult i dont think anything will change...

The black screen is not cause of my screen its because of ArmA2 any other ideas?

I am waiting for an explaination. The game is unplayable, almost every 10 minutes after game (if lucky it crushes) and I payed for it.

Also its not compatible with latest NVidia drivers (and all other games have better performance).

Is there any way to give the game back and get your money back?

Welcome to the "Receiving...." bug victims club.

Have a total different HW setup but same problem. Start ArmA 2 with " -window" then you can at least ALT-TAB.

Courious that even 285 users have this issue, I have a 8800 GTX.

Yep...getting the same. What the fuck is going on BIS? Answers please!!

"Receiving" and black screen during MP. At least I can Alt+Tab out I guess..

"Receiving Mission Status" or some shit during SP, which causes the game to stop and load briefly every now and then...not too bad till the game bugs out and slows down massively.

Help please?

@spad: that statement from Suma was BEFORE the updated 1.02, but it could be that he had 1.03 in mind when saying this.

This fix mentioned there is already present in 58134

as available http://www.arma2.com/support/updates/folder.html?lang=en

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Or isn't more accurate to say the latest Nvidia drivers are not compabitble with the game? What drivers do you use btw?

I am waiting for an explaination. The game is unplayable, almost every 10 minutes after game (if lucky it crushes) and I payed for it.

Also its not compatible with latest NVidia drivers (and all other games have better performance).

Is there any way to give the game back and get your money back?

You know sometimes I just wanna give these whiners a slap !

If you don't post your system specs and give details of what drivers you are using how can you expect that we or BIS will be able to help. There is so much moaning, and whilst the community wants to help (and BIS of course), there isnt much we can do to help.

When people post a fix they don't approach it scientifically - checking that ONE fix made the difference. What I havent seen is 'I'm using XXXX graphics card, using YYYY drivers and I have found that I get ZZZZ problem - I then changed to QQQQ drivers and it disappeared. OR they are overclocking their system OR (perish the thought) their system WASN'T stable before they started! How many of the moaners have a stable system and tried SiSoft Sandra tests or stressed ALL the cores ? Not many I hazard.

Take home message - we ARE willing to help. We DO listen. Just don't piss us off with constant base-less moaning.

I try since the 29.05.2009 (guess what happened on this date)

EVERY single released NVidia driver for WinXP. Same result basically.

Or isn't more accurate to say the latest Nvidia drivers are not compatible with the game? What drivers do you use btw?

Well............what do you try to say? That you do not cooperate with the 2 only GPU suppliers and testing their drivers for compatibility? I mean it is obvious that testing is not a strength of BIS.

What are the compatible Nvidia and ATI driver approved by BIS? Seperated by OS please.

I am willing to help in trouble shooting, but the way you try to turn it is ........ I save it.

@Kremator: I suggest you go into your Krematorium. Many "whiners" did MUCH MUCH more then you can expect from a customer to help BIS. So sh** th*** f**** o***!!!

No, better, attach to every TT there

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/issues?set_filter=1

... that they should stop whining.

So since Maruk confirms that the INTENDED fix was already part of the updated 1.02, I can state that it did not fix any "Receiving..." bug for me. It rather hits me now after 1-5 minutes of any MP/SP/editor playing. Bear in mind that ArmA 1 (I reinstalled it) WORKS there.

Edited by S!fkaIaC

You know sometimes I just wanna give these whiners a slap !

If you don't post your system specs and give details of what drivers you are using how can you expect that we or BIS will be able to help. There is so much moaning, and whilst the community wants to help (and BIS of course), there isnt much we can do to help.

When people post a fix they don't approach it scientifically - checking that ONE fix made the difference. What I havent seen is 'I'm using XXXX graphics card, using YYYY drivers and I have found that I get ZZZZ problem - I then changed to QQQQ drivers and it disappeared. OR they are overclocking their system OR (perish the thought) their system WASN'T stable before they started! How many of the moaners have a stable system and tried SiSoft Sandra tests or stressed ALL the cores ? Not many I hazard.

Take home message - we ARE willing to help. We DO listen. Just don't piss us off with constant base-less moaning.

omg you sound like the most proper anus I have ever encountered.

"whilst" hahahah, "not many I hazard" hahahahahaha what is this 17th century England? If your not having any problems and are not trying to help fix any please c ur way out of this thread mr. Senor operator.

I expect as usual that since I responded at all negatively to your post you will whip up a power trip complete with kyle382 disbanding. Cherrio fag...this forum is a waste as is...I have not received 1 helpful response and I have been very well composed in my other threads.

plenty of folks are listing their system specs AND also dishing out a few well deserved insults to BI. How many wenches doth ye think this user receiveth in a year....NOT MANY I HAZARD....PEACE

As I said in another thread... I've installed driver 186.18 and seems to work...

This fix mentioned there is already present in 58134

as available http://www.arma2.com/support/updates/folder.html?lang=en

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Or isn't more accurate to say the latest Nvidia drivers are not compabitble with the game? What drivers do you use btw?

one of those links takes me to the ARMA II website....

the other link takes me to a thread that DOES NOT tell me how to get my money back for this game.

How do I return this game to you for my $50.

Return the game to where you bought it, if that fails, contact 505 games

obviously a cd key was required to find out that multiplayer was completely dysfunctional.

I can not return the game to store. What a steal!

This game seems neat, but does not function at all on release with a patch. I have NEVER had that happen before in 10 yrs or so.

505 contacted. *crickets*

updates 2 come....

the receiving bug is still present for me

SYS:

Q6700@2600-3200

GF8800GTS 320

4GB ram

win xp 32 SP3

NVdriver 185.5

latest bios updates

defragmented Arma2 Partition

everything made/ changed for Arma2 now!

my problems with this game started at the beginning:

-legal copy from metaboli

-second day of playin i triggerd fade with xp64

after a clean install of winXP32 everything was good again

but still got the receiving bug

-try d all nvidia drivers -> no change

-try d all forum hints and tricks -> no change

i m happy to be not alone with this bug

-since yesterday the game runs for 5 or 10 minutes then crash to desktop with the message: device freed

i posted the RPT but no reply

i dont know if im whining but i know i want to play this game cause im here with BIS games since OFP 2001

i bought this game yeah! and now i am testing the game yeah

and tomorrow i need some heart pills

thats great

I WANT TO PLAY THIS GREAT GAME

let us spread the message high!!!!!!!!!

@kremator

NEVER MIND!!!!!!

Edited by mc sonar

As I said in another thread... I've installed driver 186.18 and seems to work...

I will try updating my nvidia drivers to 186.18 and report back on the outcome.

I should note that I've seen "device freed" a few times. I had a similar issue with another game a long time ago which turned out to be a crash from over clocking my graphics card. Not saying anyone is overclocking their cards or that this is the same cause, but as I found out the "device freed" was nvidia control panel basically resetting the display memory to recover from a crash.

It may not be a case of anything wrong with the card but maybe something in Arma 2 is making the nvidia control panel think that a crash has occured and it's attempting to recover, actually, that would go along with the receiving issue. If nVidia thinks a crash is occuring when it's receiving then it could halt it in an attempt to fix it, meaning it could be nVidia control panel causing the crash.

I'll have a look into it and see if I can figure out how to prevent nVidia from recovering from a crash.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Come to think of it, it may have been directx recovering. Long time ago, can't quite remember.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Ok, try turning the video memory down to Low, restart Arma 2, then see if the "receiving" or crash still occurs

Somehow this problem resolved itself in my game.

Might have something to do with bringing my settings down to normal in the texture department as well though :)

I should note that I've seen "device freed" a few times. I had a similar issue with another game a long time ago which turned out to be a crash from over clocking my graphics card. Not saying anyone is overclocking their cards or that this is the same cause, but as I found out the "device freed" was nvidia control panel basically resetting the display memory to recover from a crash.

It may not be a case of anything wrong with the card but maybe something in Arma 2 is making the nvidia control panel think that a crash has occured and it's attempting to recover, actually, that would go along with the receiving issue. If nVidia thinks a crash is occuring when it's receiving then it could halt it in an attempt to fix it, meaning it could be nVidia control panel causing the crash.

I'll have a look into it and see if I can figure out how to prevent nVidia from recovering from a crash.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Come to think of it, it may have been directx recovering. Long time ago, can't quite remember.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Ok, try turning the video memory down to Low, restart Arma 2, then see if the "receiving" or crash still occurs

Ive got a ATI 4850, still not grunty enough so maybe this is why im getting these issues. Will try turning down textures and setting video memory to low (is that sitting in ArmA 2 itself?) tonight and see what happens, thanks man.

Yeah, it's in the options.

The "device freed" is something Directx does when the video memory gets flooded. It's a programming bug, once the video memory gets flooded by something then Directx blocks access to the video memory to prevent a flood loop.

I figure reducing the video memory in game will prevent the game from flooding the video memory and prevent the crash.

Somehow this problem resolved itself in my game.

Might have something to do with bringing my settings down to normal in the texture department as well though :)

I tried all that, lowered all settings to a level like I play with an on-board - 2D chip :D no cure.

If BIS is so easy with saying it is an Nvidia issue, I would like to get more beef to this statement. But it is as usual, they jump in, drop some words and no real technical explaination about what is/what might cause the trouble.

The simple fact that so many people with different rigs having the same problem is indeed pointing to Nvidia as the ONE common part. But the second common part is ARMA 2 :D . And I can not see the EVIDENCE that Nvidia is GUILTY. Hence I rather see the need that BIS is supplying detailed technical arguments rather then plain statements.

Just assuming Maruks statement is true and it is really Nvidia drivers and/or HW causing the "receiving..." bug, and not wrong utilization of certain functionality by BIS, I still expect from BIS a description what EXACTLY is wrong to give us something into the hands to argue with Nvidia.

Just BIS saying its Nvidia and Nvidia saying its BIS does not help us customers in between, and remember we paid the 300+ Euro for the GPU and the 30+ Euro for the game.

Edited by S!fkaIaC