SAS Raid on the Argentine held airstrip at Pebble Island, 15th May 1982

Using CoC Command Engine 2

By AfrographX - Version 0.9

Addons used:

- Falklands Mod

- Falklands Mod Recommended Addons

- Falklands Mod Required Addons

- USMC Symbols (included in the rar)

Here is a first BETA version of a mission based on the SAS raid on the Argentine airstrip on Pebble Island.

About the real operation:

On the night of 14-15 May, the SAS carried out a daring raid on the Pebble Island Airstrip on West Falkland. Twenty members of Mountain Troop, D Squadron, led by Captain John Hamilton, assaulted the airstrip to destroy all eleven aircraft. The attack was supported by fire from HMS Glamorgan, while the SAS used 81mm mortar, M203 grenade launchers, 66mm LAWS, and small arms fire to drive the Argentinians to cover. The Argentines were forced to take cover and the SAS moved onto the airstrip ad fixed explosive charges to the aircraft. The assault destroyed six Pucaras, four Turbo-Mentors and a Skyvan transport before the party withdrew.

Despite some last minute hitches, the aircraft had all been destroyed or rendered irreparable and one Argentinian lay dead. Two of the Squadron were wounded by shrapnel when a mine exploded, although not seriously hurt.

(Sourve: www.britains-smallwars.com)

The OFP Mission:

This mission is still a BETA. Known bugs/odd things:

- When calling in artillery the typical radio messages ("Mike Tango Oscar", etc.) are missing. I don't know why. Probably because I added the IF Menu via initi line, but I'm not sure. So you'll have to pay attention to the beeps and watch the IF Menu to track the status of an artillery mission.

About the gameplay:

You're in command of four sections. When aircrafts and fuel dump are destroyed bring all four sections back to the FUP.

Download Link

Hey I've tried to play your mission but Ofp crashes with the following error message:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Invalid crew FLKWF

I have installed all necessary addons.

I had this file already in my addons folder. It was a bit smaller than your file though and now the mission works.

The choppers were flying dangerously close to each other on mission start but they did not crash together.

The symbols for the squads are a bit too big for my taste. The briefing is okay I think, I did not get past the FRV because I seemed to had misse WP1 and thus the two other squads did not advance further (I did not turn on advanced hud infos althoug recommended otherwise by you)?

I will test again tomorrow or so and hope I get to the fighting part of the mission.

Hmmm.... I get a weird error message together with a CTD when trying to start the mission sad_o.gif

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Preprocessor failed on file missions \__cur_sp.pebble\description.ext - error 1.

Mission updated with CoC's CE02, go to first post for download.

Any chance of porting this to ArmA in the near future? Nice that its released near the Anniversary of the actual event aswell smile_o.gif

I tried the mission out it seems well put together. I died and had to reload my save but I got a game crash and it said something about not able to load variables.

One thing you might do is tweak the weapon load outs of the squads a bit, I think the SAS in the prelim raid also used LAWs on the planes and some had M203s.

The biggest problem I had with the mission was my blind troops. They seemed to get wasted by enemies that where only 10 meters away yet they could not see them. This is Bohemia Interactives fault however and not yours.

Over all I was impressed by the helicopter insertion at the beginning. I know nothing really flashy yet it impressed me because I have a hell of a time ever getting helicopters to move in formation like that.

Was surprised how good the heli insertion looked in game. Actually I only placed a straight line but the AI independently decides to stay over water as long as possible and only than to go dry.

Forgot to add M203s, but decided not to include LAWs since the AI won't be able to attack the planes or other static targets by semselves.

In a prior version of the mission I equiped all soldiers with NVGs but than decided against it in order to keep it realistic. Unfortunately the OFP AI isn't meant to represent highly trained Special Forces soldiers. So I'll add NVGs again for a future version of the mission.

And btw you'll have to do a lot of walking before you'll see any action. Here again I tried to simulate the real thing as good as possible.

Don't know about the crash thing. Perhaps something to do with CE2. I'll try to activate CE2s own save game function next time.

Don't know about the crash thing. Perhaps something to do with CE2. I'll try to activate CE2s own save game function next time.
I died and had to reload my save but I got a game crash and it said something about not able to load variables.

Thats a well known annyoing bug of Ofp. Too many global variables that cannot be loaded again.

The CE definately plays a role in the bug as it uses pretty much global variables, thats why you should be very careful with global variables when using the CE for a bigger mission (hint to Sputnik for his upcoming mission wink_o.gif )

The beginning of the mission is a bit boring once you know there will be no enemy patrols and due to the savegame bug I had to restart the mission quite a few times sad_o.gif

I had a try a just a few minutes ago and my squad got pinned down about 50m in front of the planes with enemy infantry all around me. I suffered moderate casualties and ordered 2nd squad from the left flank to sweep the area behind me so that I could advance to the planes and blow them up when all of a sudden an argentine marine killed me from 25m or so smile_o.gif

Does anyone have another link for this?

Bumping the thread up with the same request.

Could anyone who still has this mission on his hard drive upload it somewhere and provide a link?

Thank you AfrographX. smile_o.gif

The file hosted on ofp.4players.de is an older version of your mission that does not use the CoC CE2.

If anyone still has the version that makes use of the CE2 please host it somewhere.