Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

PlanetSide 2 - MMO

i think this promising shooter title deserve it's own thread

http://www.planetside2.com/

XBCp_rgAkfc

rumored changes compared to PlanetSide 1:

max size of maps 8x8 km (compared to 10x10 in PS1)

max players either 200 per team or maximum or 2000 maximum (compared to 3x133 / 3x166 in PS1)

The only thing that come up in my mind is that CCP is going to be soooooo screwed with Dust 415 coming against this

Also changing :

* The whole certification system being reworked, with a cert tree (a bit like PS1) and time-based skill advancing on top of it (à la EVE Online)

* Class system like ... many FPS today, BF coming to mind, with class chosable on spawn or at terms, limiting your possible weapons/equipments, and giving you access to abilities/skill (unlock with cert tree and developed through time-based evolution, see above)

* Will very probably have a Free to Play scheme, where free-to-play players will have slower experience/skill increase, longer time for cert availability, etc... with power-ups (ie, faster evolution) being available for a fee. I don't know if there will be something to "get everything for a monthly fee" to get in scheme equivalent to today's monthly fee for PS1

* Pace of combat will be faster than PS1 (not difficult :) ), going toward BFBC2 pace, but not that fast

* weapons and vehicles will be customizable, through upgrades you purchase , upgrade being "TF2-like", ie with 1 pro and 1 con (faster, but less armor, etc... )

* They try to spread the fight, with vastly bigger bases than PS1, no more corridor-driven interior CQC, and every bit of land will be worth fighting for because they give resources than can be used to purchase upgrades and such. Unlike PS1 where only bases and immediate surrounding were fighting grounds and everything else was empty, bare a few bridge fights here and there

* there is a light soldier class with jetpack

* and I'm probably forgetting much :)

PS1 has been my second biggest game behind OFP/ArmA serie, my second if not first time sucker, so I'm awaiting this title big time. It's part of the 3 or 4 games I'm awaiting and ready to upgrade for (BF3, Skyrim for the ones already out, and ArmA3 and PS2 for the upcoming)

That said, all we see currently is art, art, and more art screenshots, with nothing about gameplay and such, so I'm waiting for solid info.

They tell about beta available asap, end of year/beginning 2012. When I see the state of the game in given screenshots, I'm doubtful. Could be a real killer, though

I played the first one for a good long time with a group called Sturmgrenadier, good times were had - so I am hoping for greatness from the sequel.

In NC we trust!

If this is like the old Planetside, then I'm going to have no life.

I'm definitely going to have no life. This demo was really good

The explosions make nice shockwaves, you can see them at the beginning of part 3

Free-to-play.

Ah, Free-to-play, also known as pay-for-fun, pay-to-win, or pay-forever. What happened to MMOs where you just bought the game and that was it. No unnecessary DLC, no accolades, no SUPERÃœBERL33T instant win weapons to buy... Freemium is a real scourge upon the games industry, and it doesn't look like it's going to die anytime soon. If we're unlucky, it'll spill over into real life.

Sorry, this minimum-wage employment is reserved for bronze-level users and above. Do you wish to purchase a six-month bronze license for $2999.99? Y/N

Sorry, this free housing is only available to owners of the Altruism Content Pack. Would you like to purchase the Altruism Content Pack for $599.99? Y/N

Edited by OnlyRazor

This sounds very intersting, but I believe that 1000 player battles will be a huge clusterfuck

This sounds very intersting, but I believe that 1000 player battles will be a huge clusterfuck

A huge and chaotic, possibly laggy clusterfuck. Still, A+ to the developers for effort.

@OnlyRazor : they plan to have also a monthly fee system in place for those who prefer the usual MMO scheme.

The way I see it, they made choices (like spreading the fight all over the maps, as opposed to Planetside1 style based around bases where everyone was fighting) which will require that a lot of people are online, to avoid feeling like completely empty battlefield. So they do everything to capture more players, and F2P is how they try to do that. Also, they want to have normal FPS player trying this MMO, PS1 has shown them that, at least back in the days, FPS players were not ready for subscribtion-based games. Though, today, WOW has come by, and majority of gamers are now aware of P2P systems.

As for clusterfuck, like I said above, they set up a system were every piece of land is important, and the maps are really big, more OFP/ArmA size than usual FPS size.