Sign in to follow this  
lykurgos88

Very quiet radio voices in Operation Arrowhead

I've had a very weird problem since I installed Operation Arrowhead. The game runs fine in every way but I started to notice that all the radio chats were really quiet. This concerns Group Radio (green), Side Radio (blue) and global radio (white).

When I tune up the volume from options to a maximum, the static voice increases, but the messages themselves are still quiet. Although I can play the game normally, it's still very annoying that I don't really understand anything from the voices so I have to keep reading the messages.

My game is a Combined Arms version 1.54 with BAF DLC (Retail, no Steam). What is really weird is that I've never had this problem with original Arma exe (from version 1.00 to 1.07). I have tried to play campaign and some other missions in both Arma and OA exes in order to make comparison between the sounds and the difference turned out to be significant.

My Rig is Core i7 920, Radeon 5850, 6 GB ddr3, Asus Xonar Essence STX. I have disabled integrated x-fi from BIOS, so there are no conflicts with sound chips. I have also tried to change channels from 2 to 8 channels, enable/disable virtual Surround and change sample rates from 44100 Hz to 192000 Hz. They don't really make any difference.

Here are my conf & other files:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/olzie/ARMA2_conf/

If needed, I can upload a video to Youtube where I compare the Radio voices in these two games.

This is a bug that was introduced in OA. AI radio chatter is extremely low, but the players voice sounds normal. Users with realtek soundcards have this problem. There were several people complaining about this at launch in the troubleshooting forum. Sadly im not even sure if BIS is even aware of the problem :(

Ok thanks, it's good to know that it's a common issue. I tried to disable Asus Xonar and use my integrated x-fi instead but it had same results. But neither of these two soundchips are made by Realtek, or are they?

Check your sound card(s) under device manager. It'll say if it's using a realtek driver. Also, check dev-heaven.net to see if anyone has made a bug report.

Here is a photo from Device Manager: Device_manager.png

Here I found a similar problem from DevHeaven: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/11789

And here I made a Youtube video about it:

I am really getting a bit frustrated at this. Can I fix this problem myself, or should I wait for a patch?

Edited by Lykurgos88
I failed the embed

Any news on this?

(doomie redirected me here from http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1766874#post1766874)

I also have win7 x64 with realtek and the same bug, with no solution. Arma2 missions in CO seems fine though.

Bug tracker (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/11789) says status: rejected.

What does it mean?

Okay, I found a workaround solution for this problem. Previously I only changed Sample Rates from the Xonar panel, but now I tried the Windows Control Panel sound options as well. It seems that setting the Sample rate to 44100 Hz in this way removes the problem and the radio voices sound normal.

I also noticed that when I change the sample rates to 48000, 96000 and 192000, the radio voices become quieter and quieter respectively so there is definately a correlation here. The game obviously sounds better with 192000 Hz except for the radio voices which I can't really hear at all.

So why doesn't Arma 2 OA support highes sample rates? I mean this is a bit stupid since the normal Arma 2 version 1.08 supports 192000 Hz with no problem.

Have the same issue with freshly installed ARMA from ArmaX collection (1.10/1.59). Any solution - except changing sample rates - yet?

Radio/Microphone slider doesn't really help...

Please, have anyone already taken a look into this? Don't want to be rude :/, but this problem is really downgrading the game and I have no clue how to solve it. Changing the sample rates down for every single game is not a very good solution and even so - it helps just a little.

Running Audigy 2 ZS, 5.1 speakers, Arma2CO, last non-beta patches. Can post dxdiag if it could help.

I bought OA and combined with Arma 2, and now the AI radio has the problem OP described.

Combined Arms version 1.54

@Lykurgos88

Be sure to patch your game to the latest to start.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13729

I personally dont have this issue and I have Arma2CO w/ latest patch (not w/ betas) this could be a sound card issue,

or something not being supported as said. Also turn your sound volume up in your control panel under audio and sound devices.

I have my patched to 1.59 and using just the motherboard audio. Changing the sampling didn't help.

Regular Arma 2 doesn't have this problem.

Sorry for digging this out but been a couple of years and no new drivers, new dx, no patch even windows reinstall doesn't help. So they won't bother to fix this for OA?

1.60 didn't fix.

R20+

Please do not dig up threads older than four months.

The work around for the problem is available in the body of the thread. You may also want to search the dev-heaven community bug tracker and vote up the ticket for this issue.

+1 Warning for digging up old threads.

Thread locked.

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask.

Edited by Max Power