Sign in to follow this  
Leopardi

Mouse lag at low viewdistance

I get unbearable mouselag unless I set viewdistance to very high values like 7500-10000m. But then my framerates get really low. It's literally like in this video:

Specs:

Intel E6750@3,2GHz

4 gig DDR2 800MHz

Sapphire HD 4870 512Mb (cata 9.6) & BFG 8800GTS 640Mb

Asus P5K

3x Samsung T166 320Gb 16Mb HDDs

Win XP 32-bit & Vista 64-bit

Mouse:

Logitech G5 & Razer DeathAdder with and without newest drivers.

Edited by Leopardi

Have any of the BIS devs made any comment on this? Because while it's obviously affecting more than a few people, it's not a universal problem (I've tried to emulate some of the videos of the lag on youtube, but it doesn't happen for me, and Im running it at 1.6km view distance)

It might be an idea to make some kind of petition to send to the BIS devs asking them to investigate the problems.

I get mouse lag no matter what settings unless I force v-sync off through my Nvidia Control Panel. Try doing that with your 8800 GTS, or your 4870 if ATi has such an option.

I have vsync disabled always, it's something with the settings. I also heard that fiddling with object/terrain detail makes mouselag disappear too, on another forums (even though FPS stays the same). what is this?

Edited by Leopardi

Would be nice to have some comment on this from BIS devs.

Mouse:

Logitech G5 & Razer DeathAdder with and without newest drivers.

Why don't you try uninstalling the drivers for your mice and let windows default take over and see if you have any problems.

And have you tried any of the fixes mentioned in the other threads concerning mouse lag that you've posted in?

Why don't you try uninstalling the drivers for your mice and let windows default take over and see if you have any problems.

And have you tried any of the fixes mentioned in the other threads concerning mouse lag that you've posted in?

It says with AND without drivers, so yes I have tried even that.

have you turned off Enhance Pointer Precision in your windows mouse options?

yeah.

Damn that's really bad lag, I feel for you :(

I have only "normal" mouse smoothing and it's pretty much the same on all viewing distances. (8800GTS 320MB)

Hey Leopardi, I've been trying to make this lag happen for me, trying to ID the issue from the other side of the fence. I cannot make it happen, even when burdened to 5fps. My weapon, either locked to the center of the screen, or floating, moves as soon as the mouse does. Of course there is the 'inertia' as others state, and the gun accelerates quickly to the speed I'm moving my mouse. I can make a bit of sloppyness happen with enabling enhanced pointer features, but not the input lag you have.

I have not seen all your posts so I will ask my questions here, sorry if they are repeats:

1- Have you tried another mouse, particularly the opposite communication type (if you have USB mouse, try a PS2 type) I have a Logitech MX Laser USB.

2- Have you flipped all BIOS features for legacy USB and other such devices to off?

3- Do you have any other equipment in your Device Manager panel that may utilize the same resources? Possibly creating a conflict in ArmA II that requires time to resolve/navigate making the lag?

Just some thoughts, as we obviously have the same game, the only things that could be different is hardware config, settings, conflicts... Will try to think of more. Hope it stirs a solution for you. Good luck.

Edited by Scrub

I have the same problem. But no matter what resolution it starts in the menu already. :confused: I tried all the suggestions before. I really dont know what now? Any other ideas? :j:

Platform:

MSI GX620X laptop

With MSI Gaming mouse

Thank you!

I have also a Logitech G5 and don't have any mouse lag. My view distance is 1.6 Km. I've seen your video and it's really upsetting.

I suppose you've tested with different DPI.

Have you tried to connect the mouse to different USB ports?

For the G5 I'm using this http://www.mstarmetro.net/users/rlowens/

But I suppose that's irrelevant....

Edited by Von_Paulus

I tried everything. Changed my max frames to render ahead from 3 to 1 in Nvidia panel. That helped a bit. I changed the visibility to max (10000) which helped another bit. I installed the latest driver, with no significant change. Still have a 500ms lag :( Kind of frustrating!! I disabled the USB legcy in the BIOS, no effect. :confused::confused::confused::mad:

Well I'm not sure any more. My lagging is has become much better than it was with the changes i made. I never played ARMA before. Could I fell some kind of lagging because the game being "simulator" ?

Well I'm not sure any more. My lagging is has become much better than it was with the changes i made. I never played ARMA before. Could I fell some kind of lagging because the game being "simulator" ?

If you're not sure if the mouse lags, then you don't suffer the mouse lag bug. There's some smoothing but the mouse still feels responsive and quite accurate, though you can't twitch aim and there's a little feel of weight on the weapon, it's perfectly normal.

Edited by Leopardi

Leoprdi- have u tried the changes i made? 'Coz my lagging was the same u have in you tube video... And now its much better...

hi guys...

this thread is VERY interesting! I tried it for myself:

I've got a Radeon 4870 und set resolution to 1920x1200 with low AA.

I knew that this is too much for my card, especially in forests, but i wanted to reproduce your experience...

And thats the result (standing in the forest or looking to dense bush few meters away):

I get 25-35 fps but have _noticable_ mouselag, vd set to 2000m.

Looking in ati tray tools, my GPU-Usage is always around 100% in this scenario...

BUT, if i set my vd to a point or higher when the CPU limits the framerate, my mouselag IMMEDIATELY disappears!!:

5000m, GPU-Usage is at 100% fps at 25-35. -> gfx-card limits.

8000m, GPU-Usage drops to 25%, fps around 10. But absolutely NO mouselag.

what i also realised, with low vd and high resolution (100% GPU usage), my mouse pointer stutters a little bit in the menu. Maybe has sth. to do with this...

I would really, really like to know whats the technical reason for all that. PLEASE, BIS, be so kind and analyse this.

Best regards!

Am also new to arma 2 ( well trying the demo ), why cant they put a option to disable mouse smoothing ???? Maybe it would make us new guys feel more conformable with the mouse.

you can't twitch aim and there's a little feel of weight on the weapon, it's perfectly normal.

So that probably why i find the mouse to be sloppy up and down ????

Left to right seem to be getting there with tweaking , but still feel a bit weird compared to all the other FPS games. It all most feel like a ported game

please see my above post. i think its actually more a bug or a generell problem with graphics drivers than, i would guess, a mousefilter.

pls try to set vd to 10000 and see if your mouselag disappears. you will

get lower fps but maybe your mouselag is gone.

Edited by slimSpencer

I always tought this little lag was normal, as i had it in arma 1 also, not as much as in the video posted, but slight lag that i felt, and couldnt always aim fast and precisely. I tought that it was suppose to be there because arma is a simulator and slower pace than some other fps.

I have this lag in arma 2, but sometimes i get more of it, sometimes little less, i tought it was performance/fps related, but i guess its not.

I tested this higher view distance and noticed that it reduced the lag !

Normally i would and do use the default view distance.

q9650 @ 3,5

GTX285

4gb ram

Windows XP

I completely agree! This must be a videocard driver problem. The more effect I disable the better my mouse is. But still I think it's a bug, 'cause I don't thing my computer is that slow that I have to play 800x600 or whatever...

evga GTX 260 superclocked core 216 , resolution to 1680x1050 with no AA / post off.

With VD at 10000 , left to right feel better now. Up and down still feel sloppy tho. I know nobody those this but if zoom in and aim and try to make a circle , it start to get jerky. So if i would have to turn / go up fast for a target am pretty sure i would miss it.