Sign in to follow this  
tpw

Mouse Wheel View Distance (MWVD)

Mouse Wheel View Distance (DVD)

Download: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20011647/Mouse+Wheel+View+Distance_102.zip

Version: 1.02

Released: 20110216

Author: tpw

Requires: CBA

Runs on : Arma2, Operation Arrowhead, Combined Operations

Changelog:

1.00 - initial release 20110212

1.01 - changed to [ctrl] + [alt] to resolve key conflicts

1.02 - view distance hint window now disappears after 1 second

Here is a simple script to change viewdistance on the fly by holding down [ctrl] + [alt] and scrolling up or down with your mousewheel. If you find your computer struggling due to many AI or high scenic complexity, then quickly drop the viewdistance. Want to enjoy the view? Increase it!

How it works:

This addon simply installs a few user interface eventhandlers to monitor keydown, keyup and mousewheel. If you press [ctrl] + [alt] + scroll up/down, then the viewdistance is increased/decreased by the amount you specify. You can specify minimum and maximum viewdistance values which won't be violated.

How to use it:

Install: Copy the @MWVD modfolder to your preferred location, and the MWVD folder to your Arma2 userconfig directory.

Configure: userconfig\MWVD\MWVD.hpp allows you to set the values most appropriate to your system.

These are the values I use on my middle range system (Dual core E6750, GTX460):

200m minimum view distance (m)

4000m maximum view distance (m)

200m viewdistance increase/decrease per mouse wheel click

Automatic viewdistance changing:

If you'd prefer a system which automatically changes your viewdistance to maintain fps, then might I suggest you try out my Dynamic View Distance (DVD) addon.

I'm a shit coder and no doubt this can be improved. I would value any feedback and suggestions, so give me your 2 cent's worth on the BIS forum.

Many thanks to Das Attorney for showing me how to create PBO addons, and for general advice. As always, thanks to BIS for a fantastic piece of software, and for the incredible community on the BIS forum.

tpw

Edited by tpw

Well I checked it out and I have to say that I prefer this version before DVD version. I always had this problem when on ground having VD 1900 and when in plane I have to change the VD to 3500 or something.

So its very practical and usefull. I noticed some stutering during a mission in editor but Im not sure its related to this mod.

Very usefull mod :)

I like this solution, because dvd produces lags in situations you really dont need them, like heavy infights.

But i have one problem, with MWVD im not able to use the ctlr key anymore (for example to show the gps).

Edit:

Also it "stops the signal of a key" (means for example, if im driving a vehicle with "W" it stops if im pressing ctrl)

Edited by [LB] boggler

Congrats on the release mate - will check this out and get back with some feedback :)

Cheers! Wouldn't have been possible without your earlier help.

Well I checked it out and I have to say that I prefer this version before DVD version. I always had this problem when on ground having VD 1900 and when in plane I have to change the VD to 3500 or something.

So its very practical and usefull. I noticed some stutering during a mission in editor but Im not sure its related to this mod.

Very usefull mod :)

Thanks Nikiforos. Glad you like it and I'm glad I can offer people some choice. DVD does actually increase the viewdistance when you get in a plane though...

boggler;1854455']I like this solution' date=' because dvd produces lags in situations you really dont need them, like heavy infights.

But i have one problem, with MWVD im not able to use the ctlr key anymore (for example to show the gps).

Edit:

Also it "stops the signal of a key" (means for example, if im driving a vehicle with "W" it stops if im pressing ctrl)[/quote']

Thanks for the really great bug feedback. I'm surprised though, since the keyup/down event handlers simply check if the [ctrl] key is pressed and if so assign a variable. I will look into it further as a very high priority.

boggler;1854455']I like this solution' date=' because dvd produces lags in situations you really dont need them, like heavy infights.

Edit:

Also it "stops the signal of a key" (means for example, if im driving a vehicle with "W" it stops if im pressing ctrl)[/quote']

boggler I have changed the key combo from [ctrl] to [ctrl] + [alt] which seems to solve the problems you'd noticed. Thanks again for your input.

boggler I have changed the key combo from [ctrl] to [ctrl] + [alt] which seems to solve the problems you'd noticed. Thanks again for your input.

You're welcome, i like your practical idea to change the vd during a battle.

But just keep at the back of your mind, that a lot modifications use keys like ctrl, shift or alt,for example ACE2, ACRE etc.

Perhaps it would be suitable, having the possibility to change the key-combo in the userconfig, to avoid any doubled configs. :)

Edited by [LB] boggler

Loving this tpw this will be my new VD mod. Only problem i notice is once you've changed your viewdistance the writing telling what what distance its set to i.e. "4000" in the top right corner stays there for AGES! maybe if you made it like 2-4 secs would be perfect even that might be too long :rolleyes:

haha well thanks for this mod anyway man!

Loving this tpw this will be my new VD mod. Only problem i notice is once you've changed your viewdistance the writing telling what what distance its set to i.e. "4000" in the top right corner stays there for AGES! maybe if you made it like 2-4 secs would be perfect even that might be too long :rolleyes:

haha well thanks for this mod anyway man!

No worries bro I'll look into it. Trouble is that any system I use to get rid of the long hint window will probably bollox up hints from other scripts. C'est la vie...

MAN YOU ARE A HERO!

Thanks for this addon! For some reason I get very low FPS when distance is increased, even if I'm the only person in the map (whatever map). This helps me. Thanks you dude!

MAN YOU ARE A HERO!

Thanks for this addon! For some reason I get very low FPS when distance is increased, even if I'm the only person in the map (whatever map). This helps me. Thanks you dude!

My pleasure!

No worries bro I'll look into it. Trouble is that any system I use to get rid of the long hint window will probably bollox up hints from other scripts. C'est la vie...

Have a sleep command of say 3 seconds then hint up a blank string. :)

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

BTW, would it be possible to also have the key combo as a user config?

Have a sleep command of say 3 seconds then hint up a blank string. :)

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

BTW, would it be possible to also have the key combo as a user config?

I've already written the hint killer, was just doing some testing to make sure it didn't break anything. I will upload it shortly.

The key combo is a bit trickier, but leave it with me!

Hi mate,

Re: key combo, check out these two pages. They could be very useful for you. Seeing as you use CBA anyway, it could help out for CTRL ALT SHIFT combos :)

http://dev-heaven.net/docs/cba/files/events/fnc_addKeyHandler-sqf.html

http://dev-heaven.net/docs/cba/files/events/fnc_addKeyHandlerFromConfig-sqf.html

Hi mate,

Re: key combo, check out these two pages. They could be very useful for you. Seeing as you use CBA anyway, it could help out for CTRL ALT SHIFT combos :)

http://dev-heaven.net/docs/cba/files/events/fnc_addKeyHandler-sqf.html

http://dev-heaven.net/docs/cba/files/events/fnc_addKeyHandlerFromConfig-sqf.html

Awesome, pretty much exactly what I was after. You're the man Das!

New version 1.02 with 1 sec hint window is now up. I'll do the configurable keys next.

guys i've installed this but its not working, whats wrong? I have the @MWVD folder in the arma2 folder correctly

I.E.

D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@MWVD\addons\[2 PBO FILES]

D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\userconfig\MWVD\MWVD.hpp

i'm using a launcher that picks up the mod folder, I run it and NOTHING! holding CTRL+ALT+rolling mousewheel does a grand total of nothing whatsoever

guys i've installed this but its not working, whats wrong? I have the @MWVD folder in the arma2 folder correctly

I.E.

D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@MWVD\addons\[2 PBO FILES]

D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\userconfig\MWVD\MWVD.hpp

i'm using a launcher that picks up the mod folder, I run it and NOTHING! holding CTRL+ALT+rolling mousewheel does a grand total of nothing whatsoever

It definitely works. Have you installed CBA? Without CBA it can't read the config file and will default to doing nothing.