Sign in to follow this  
RSF TheCapulet

My first try at modelling

Since the alpha came out, I've been pretty disappointed in the state of immersion when it comes to house interiors. Today I finally had enough time (got bored enough) to see what it takes to fix that problem, figuring I'd try my hand at starting a furniture pack.

After about 45 mins, I have this:

firsttry.JPG

Modeled directly after the kitchen counter sitting beside my fridge.

Really still don't know what I'm doing at this point. Still learning the basics and all. Just thought I'd post something to keep me motivated a bit.

keep going mate , practice makes perfect :)

If you did that after 45mins of no prior knowledge of modeling that's incredible and puts me to shame. Took me at several hours just to get my head round the basics of using 3ds max. Nice job

Excellent for a first try..!!!

You could save a LOT of polys if you didn't use so many on the edges etc.

Also for things like the arched bevel inset you could do that just as effectively with a normal map mate- would save your poly count too.

A good rule is "low poly is the way to go".

You could save a LOT of polys if you didn't use so many on the edges etc.

Also for things like the arched bevel inset you could do that just as effectively with a normal map mate- would save your poly count too.

A good rule is "low poly is the way to go".

At this point, everything like that is modeled. I don't even have any idea how to see how many polys I have. lol. Didn't read that far into the tutorial pdf before getting my hands dirty and getting distracted on just making the model.

Here's the .max of just one side of the counter I have pictured, if anyone wants to look and give pointers.

http://ihiopc.com/SingleCounterRightHandle.max

I couldn't even model a cardboard box! :( Nice work, looking forward to seeing more.

Download arma1 sample models

Not only will it give you excellent insight into a poly count guideline it will show how in future if you make these for custom buildings , that furniture can be proxies

Caveat ignore texture policy it was a bit section heavy back then iirc

I couldn't even model a cardboard box! :( Nice work, looking forward to seeing more.

Second try. :P

secondtry2.jpg

Edited by TheCapulet

I need an idea. What's my next try?

If you are ambitious, i need some buildings that fit my terrains, Mediterranean houses in rural Australia don't seem to help the immersion factor :s

this for example - http://www.ruralbuilding.com.au/our-homes/farmhouse-range/the-kingston

i have started a couple myself, but i usually get to around UV Mapping and just tear my hair out........

If you are ambitious, i need some buildings that fit my terrains, Mediterranean houses in rural Australia don't seem to help the immersion factor :s

this for example - http://www.ruralbuilding.com.au/our-homes/farmhouse-range/the-kingston

i have started a couple myself, but i usually get to around UV Mapping and just tear my hair out........

I've spent maybe an hour total modeling, and none texturing. I could certainly try for something to add to your collection of stuff that needs done, but I've still got that bit to learn yet.

i usually get to around UV Mapping and just tear my hair out........

i know that feeling alright. If you're using 3ds max its worth getting the tex tools plugin. Its quite nifty at flattening out and splitting up the model UV's

UVing is one area most people absolutely detest, but it's probably one of the most important when it comes to creating a good clean consistent look to your models mate.

It is well worth spending time on to do a good job and it's probably a good use of a few hours just to familiarise yourself with some useful UV tools to speed up your workflow.

I normally get a cup of coffee on the go and dive in... Once it's done, it's very satisfying to be able to quickly change textures and see them updated nicely across the whole mesh.

Don't scrimp on any aspect of your addon models as they'll suffer for it in quality.

Oh, and if that was your first model, you're a talented guy! ;)

I've spent maybe an hour total modeling, and none texturing. I could certainly try for something to add to your collection of stuff that needs done, but I've still got that bit to learn yet.

Best way to learn is to try and push yourself.

6 months ago i had never even thought about modding ARMA. After about 8 weeks i had a 400km^2 terrain depicting the center of Australia, the only thing holding a release back is the ability to model enough objects to create a environment that looks unique and varying.

i know that feeling alright. If you're using 3ds max its worth getting the tex tools plugin. Its quite nifty at flattening out and splitting up the model UV's

Yeah i got hold of Textools, have been using it to texture a weapon, but sometimes its just a pain when it does not do what I expected for what ever reason, maybe the model, maybe my fault. but yeah, after using Textools on a weapon, thinking about using it on a building of mostly rectangular shapes seems simple.

Nice work, looking forward to seeing more.
Nice.
If you did that after 45mins of no prior knowledge of modeling that's incredible and puts me to shame. Nice job

Oh, and if that was your first model, you're a talented guy! ;)

Thanks guys, btw. The encouragement was exactly why I posted it here.

I've also got a couple PMs as well commenting on it, one asking how I learned so quick.

I will say that I didn't do all of it in max. A lot of the basics of the model were done in Sketchup and then exported into max. A friend of mine used both for a class for her art major in Uni, and suggested I do it that way. So far I've read through maybe a quarter of a dummies guide for sketchup, and skimmed through a beginners guide for max, mostly finding things when I need them.

So far, it's been a lot of fun, and I look forward to releasing my first mod someday.

Thanks guys, btw. The encouragement was exactly why I posted it here.

I've also got a couple PMs as well commenting on it, one asking how I learned so quick.

I will say that I didn't do all of it in max. A lot of the basics of the model were done in Sketchup and then exported into max. A friend of mine used both for a class for her art major in Uni, and suggested I do it that way. So far I've read through maybe a quarter of a dummies guide for sketchup, and skimmed through a beginners guide for max, mostly finding things when I need them.

So far, it's been a lot of fun, and I look forward to releasing my first mod someday.

Your work is really well done. I have used sketchup before, how easy is it to port over to 3ds max? I was thinking of using sketchup and then porting it into blender rather than building it in blender (its a bit confusing, and I like/ am used to, CAD programs)

Dan;2511784']Your work is really well done. I have used sketchup before' date=' how easy is it to port over to 3ds max? I was thinking of using sketchup and then porting it into blender rather than building it in blender (its a bit confusing, and I like/ am used to, CAD programs)[/quote']

As simple as it gets, as long as you own a pro license. The free version can't export anything afaik. The Pro version exports directly to 3dsmax formats & more.

Edited by TheCapulet

As simple as it gets, as long as you own a pro license. The free version can't export anything. The Pro version exports directly to 3dsmax formats & more.

Just had a look, free version exports .dae (collada), which can be opened with blender and is actually very easy to use when there, as long as you set the export settings right in sketchup.

Dan;2511784']Your work is really well done. I have used sketchup before' date=' how easy is it to port over to 3ds max? I was thinking of using sketchup and then porting it into blender rather than building it in blender (its a bit confusing, and I like/ am used to, CAD programs)[/quote']

I use AutoCAD and then import the .DWG into 3DSMax, just make sure you have the separate objects/entities in different layers, or different colors, you can choose on the import how 3DSMax will divide the model into separate objects.

I had a go too, after about 3 hours worth of work, (and 2 or 3 reversions), I managed to get something this far:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hx85u3mwh8bu2ce/shipproject1.bmp

Hit some problems with regards to getting the hull to seal properly given some of it is based on curves that are angled but hoping to finish this and eventually release it. But if you guys have any critics (or even want to look at the sketchup file so far) then do say. Also feel free to have a guess who as to what it is.

Edited by [EVO] Dan

Nice. Looks like it's progressing really well! Now I'm going to have to kick it into gear and spit something else out so I don't feel so marginalized. :P