Sign in to follow this  
RSF TheCapulet

My first try at modelling

Nice. Looks like it's progressing really well! Now I'm going to have to kick it into gear and spit something else out so I don't feel so marginalized. :P

Don't worry, I threw out that version and regressed again, but managed to get the hull to look nice (and sealed), thanks to some youtube help. Your work is way more awesome than mine.

boat11.JPG

Started a boat of my own, if not a bit more modest with my ambitions to start off. 14' x 4.5' x 2.5'

Figured this time I'd show a bit more of my work from start to finish.

boat2.JPG

boat3.JPG

Edited by TheCapulet

Nice one. It might be worth considering creating a W.I.P thread in the mod discussion section, you'll find your work getting more exposure there. This section is more for people looking for help with O2

I would, but I've not made anything so far that I intend on releasing. Once I learn enough, I'm sure I'll be hounding everyone with questions about 02 and how to get stuff IG.

Once I get to a point where I can actually see my stuff in game, I'll throw up a WIP thread.

Be prepared for those questions. I'm sure I'll have a metric shit ton of them. ;)

Though I do have one question I was thinking of the other night while working on some more furniture.

Can objects outside of buildings and vehicles have damage models? Say for instance, a sabot tears through some dudes kitchen hutch, I want a pile of rubble, not just some object that flops over sideways or falls through an unseen portal to hell. So will I be able to do this, or will I just be wasting my time making damage models for small stuff like that?

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 AM ----------

Dan;2522756']I had a go too' date=' after about 3 hours worth of work, (and 2 or 3 reversions), I managed to get something this far:

[url']https://www.dropbox.com/s/hx85u3mwh8bu2ce/shipproject1.bmp[/url]

Hit some problems with regards to getting the hull to seal properly given some of it is based on curves that are angled but hoping to finish this and eventually release it. But if you guys have any critics (or even want to look at the sketchup file so far) then do say. Also feel free to have a guess who as to what it is.

I found a site with a ton of really good (and free) ruby scripts for Sketchup. Figured I'd share, since you're trucking right along with me.

http://www.smustard.com/

http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/developer/docs/loading.php (how to use them)

Edited by TheCapulet

Guessed there had to be an easier way of sealing a hull than using this method:

I have actually been practicing on some low poly models with this method, as well as having done the rebuild of the model with it, the scaling tool is also very very useful, makes mirroring very easy.

I actually hit the same wall you did with having edges that just weren't lining up, no matter what I did. I ended up scrapping it all, and came up with this in an 8th of the time it took me to make that mess.

boat4.JPG

I have got to admit, the method I used is very tedious, but the result is pretty good. You have just got to check if your hull shape is right or not, otherwise the hull appears all bumpy if you put the cross lines the wrong way around (also the benefit of copying sides over is it means you don't have to do them again - like I did).

Yeah. With the boat above, I actually only built half of it, and then use the move and scale tools to copy and mirror. Dead useful.

Some things to keep in mind, very few edges in real life ar 90* more realistic approach is to bevel those edges. Keep an eye out for bad geometry geometry with more than 4 sides, and inverted faces. Try to avoid modeling with triangles as well.

If you're planning on releasing any of these, you should get a wip thread in the addons&mods discussion forum. There, more people will see it and you'll get more feedback. :-)

House looks good!

Still just practice. I still haven't even started on figuring out how to texture. And I won't even think of releasing anything until the latest tools are out.

I guess the goal of this thread at this point is to just show off how easy it is to get started with the right tools. And occasional questions when I can't figure something out.

gazbo1.JPG

Knocked this out in a couple hours today. Setting my targets on a high-rise apartment prop-type building for the next one. Then I'll dive into getting the hang of models with more organic lines.

At some point I'll start figuring out UV mapping. Probably with my first cabinet or some other furniture that I've made that's super simple.

Edited by TheCapulet

Here's an old video by me; be sure to view the series. Maybe it will help you in your journey.

Abs