Sign in to follow this  
mejoff

Change a faction's side?

How do I make, for instance, the US Army OpFor, or the Russians Blufor, for purposes of, for example, more complicated Tom Clancyesque storylines?

Place your US-Army guys and one OPFOR guy as group leader of them.

Make the probability of presence of the OPFOR guy 0% and you have US-Army OPFOR...

The same can be done with every other faction.

You must use the setFriend command, it is very simple, for example, if i wanted to make the OpFor and BluFor friends, i would make a game logic(the object one in the units list)

And i would put this into the Gamelogics init. box

west setFriend [east, 1]; east setFriend [west, 1];

This will make OpFor and BluFor friendly, but if you only put half of that in (e.g. west setFriend [east, 1]) that will make BluFor friendly to OpFor but OpFor will still attack BluFor. The limitations of this is that it will not just cover one faction, but the WHOLE SIDE, meaning the takistani Militia or the Chedaki are friendly aswell, which forces NAPA, the Takistani Guerillas and the UN to be the enemies. The only other way to change a faction side is give an enemy group a friendly unit as their leader, or go through the mission's sqm. file and change the soldiers side to the other side ie east to west (beware once you change the soldiers sides if you edit them again in any way ie add something to their init. box, they will go back to their original side. None of these solutions are ideal, but i'm pretty sure they are the only way to change a soldier, group or faction side.

Edited by Militantsausage

I'll try out the Invisible!leader option, as it sounds like the simplest one. Thanks for your help guys, expect missions soon :)

You must use the setFriend command, it is very simple, for example, if i wanted to make the OpFor and BluFor friends, i would make a game logic(the object one in the units list)

And i would put this into the Gamelogics init. box

This will make OpFor and BluFor friendly, but if you only put half of that in (e.g. west setFriend [east, 1]) that will make BluFor friendly to OpFor but OpFor will still attack BluFor. The limitations of this is that it will not just cover one faction, but the WHOLE SIDE, meaning the takistani Militia or the Chedaki are friendly aswell, which forces NAPA, the Takistani Guerillas and the UN to be the enemies. The only other way to change a faction side is give an enemy group a friendly unit as their leader, or go through the mission's sqm. file and change the soldiers side to the other side ie east to west (beware once you change the soldiers sides if you edit them again in any way ie add something to their init. box, they will go back to their original side. None of these solutions are ideal, but i'm pretty sure they are the only way to change a soldier, group or faction side.

Just as a matter of interest, could I use the setfreind to create a DM game by setting each BLUEFOR individual for example as

west setFriend [east, 0];west setFriend [west, 0]

so that all units would in fact turn on each other?

Looking at creating a small DM game for my mates who are recent OA converts but still require the mindless twitch FPS carnage sometimes, this would allow me to create my own and have weapon and ammo loadouts they can select instead of the current random affairs.

Would also allow for more unit options as opposed to just west or east etc, as I could put in every playable unit in game as a selection.

Just as a matter of interest, could I use the setfreind to create a DM game by setting each BLUEFOR individual for example as
west setFriend [east, 0];west setFriend [west, 0]

so that all units would in fact turn on each other?

Looking at creating a small DM game for my mates who are recent OA converts but still require the mindless twitch FPS carnage sometimes, this would allow me to create my own and have weapon and ammo loadouts they can select instead of the current random affairs.

Would also allow for more unit options as opposed to just west or east etc, as I could put in every playable unit in game as a selection.

Not sure about that one, i will try it out, to be honest i've never tried to create a deathmatch type scenario.

I am trying to do this with Independent faction and west with no luck. They still shoot each other! What am I missing?

west setFriend [guer, 1]; guer setFriend [west, 1];

Well, to start off, you can choose which side independent will be on in the intel box in the top right corner of the editor screen (where you set the weather and the date), usually it is set to be friends with BluFor by default, but you must have accidentaly changed it.

You only really ned to use setFriend between OpFor and BluFor, because you can already set the independent's side.

The reason I need "setfriend" is their alliance will change halfway through the mission.

I just found the answer to my question. In Arma2 Independents are Resistance not GUER as I though looking at mission files.