Sign in to follow this  
Kings_25

The End of the Tactical Shooter.

Have you heard of OFP: Elite?

No. I just can't imagine a realistic shooter played with anything than a mouse.

Not only war but gaming in general too. Everything is on rails, it's what chewing gum is to cuisine.

Seeing that video it reminds me that i wanted to buy ofp for xbox360, but it wasn't in the compability list

fml

Gnat;1726391']I tend to think they're only in there so you'll feel more inclined to keep playing it' date=' to get the accolades. But in many ways you're playing blind to the "rest of the world".[/quote']

Meh, they seem more like dog biscuits to me, somewhat insulting in fact, the simple ones you get for running through the game..you would have done it anyway but they include one, I'm not sure if the effect is supposed to inspire joy but to me it feels as if the game is calling me an idiot and that I should be congratulated for passing the FIRST LEVEL.

"They also feel so utterly usesless aside from epeen..How's about something say..an actual reward for the players skill in some manner?

Goldeneye N64 and Perfect Dark N64 for example had an excellent "achievement" system, pending on the difficulty, if you beat a level in a certain way or certain time you could unlock cheats, the more difficult the better, but if you played with these cheats you couldn't advance or unlock other cheats.

Achievements imo get in the way of the fun and at times delude the player from what a real achievement is sometimes, things like a 3 kill streak, or 5, or 10 etc, aren't exactly achievment material and they only appear to enforce things like camping and cheating.

Of course some of them can be fun, ones that push you to play the game differently in some way and do something you normally wouldn't (though most don't),some games like say GTA4 are excellent for achievments with all the crazyness to them.

Though achivements aren't the only thing that take me out a game, I can't play COD4 for nearly as long as I've played counter strike, operation flashpoint, Arma2, or any war game present or past due to the numbers popping up everywhere and the reward system. Personally I hate the reward system COD4 has.."Hey you just got 10 consecutive kills, here is a helicopter to get more"..???

Edited by NodUnit

Meh, they seem more like dog biscuits to me, somewhat insulting in fact

Personally I hate the reward system COD4 has.."Hey you just got 10 consecutive kills, here is a helicopter to get more"..???

Ditto.

here's the glide slope: www.facebook.com/flashpointredriver

Did you see the GRFS trailer in which the soldiers engage the cloak mode? That moment I knew I wont bother with it. What a grotesque way to mix fun with realism.

Did you see the GRFS trailer in which the soldiers engage the cloak mode? That moment I knew I wont bother with it. What a grotesque way to mix fun with realism.

I LOLd when the guy was shooting AT rockets out of his backpack. Jeez.

Why do they still carry mags at all? Why not just fry everyone's brains out with an energy blast only lethal to terrorists? :P

Lol...i don't want to die.

I'm a private, someone give me a god mode script, please !

I'm glad such games exist because they keep all the noobs away from Arma and these forums.

Although, I must admit that I own all of the Call of Duty games (that are on PC), both MoHAA and the new MoH, Battlefield 1942/2 and some of the other arcadey "shit".

Of course I also own A2 Combined Ops. I just find that such games are fun, MW2 cost $60 but I do feel that I got my money's worth, even without dedicated servers. I logged over 300 hours there, not as much as in CoD 4, but I definitely had fun (especially when I was owning with my clan). And that's what I think games are about. Yes, I was pissed off when they made us pay for the map packs (I bought one of them) and I was not happy about the lack of dedicated servers, but I still had fun. As much as I hate to sound like an OFPDR dev, that's what games are about.

ARMA is fun too, it's just a different kind of fun. Call of Duty is fun when you run around with an M4A1 (or the gun that resembles it) and feel like Rambo. Meanwhile, ArmA fun is sneaking around with four of your buddies at 3AM in the morning in Chernarus, carefully planning your approach to an objective while a Mi-24 flies around.

I do not, however, play Halo or Gears of War or any of that garbage. I'm strictly a military buff and if it's not believable/plausible (Yes, the MW2 story was utterly retarded, but with a little imagination you could get immersed), I won't play it.

I understand all the hatred aimed at such games by people on this forum, but I don't think that the two types exclude each other.

And yeah, the shooter market is oversaturated. They're going to end up like Atari in the 1980s.

Edited by RangerPL