Sign in to follow this  
b00tsy

Editor upgrade / additions

I'm disagreeing with this post because it is not easy at all to learn to script. At least make it a little more user friendly, I vote for more templates.

I disagree, any scripting language that allows me to release an addon is easy to learn. Even I was able to release an addon and i dont even like modding and have less patience than a potato, I just like playing with the results.

And of course its a process, i started with easy things like 3 line scripts and making small additions to other peoples scripts (Without releasing them of course). Nowadays i can make things which i think are pretty smart, but of course its still nowhere near the level of DAC. But it doesnt have to be because someone else already made DAC for us, and you dont need to write epic scripts to make a more than decent mission.

Its as hard as you want it to be. The first version of CZM i made could be understood by anyone who can read English and because of that i saw it pop up in other addons as well (For example Starship Trooper bugs).

Edited by NeMeSiS

It's funny how people are against making the editor more user-friendly with templates even though it would be just as powerful. It's part of the "I'm in the 'I can script and you can't club'" and people don't want more competition in making missions. If it's not that than I am completely baffled at what you are talking about.

It's funny how people are against making the editor more user-friendly with templates even though it would be just as powerful. It's part of the "I'm in the 'I can script and you can't club'" and people don't want more competition in making missions. If it's not that than I am completely baffled at what you are talking about.

What im saying is: Dont be afraid of scripts and start working on whatever you want. Templates will never fully satisfy your needs and you will want to script things eventually anyway, might as well start now.

If you need something else to learn from then there are plenty of other scripts out there which will do stuff similar to what you are trying to do and you can adjust for your own needs which is a good way to learn, and the community is full of helpful people who will answer your questions on this forum.

What im saying is: Dont be afraid of scripts and start working on whatever you want.

You are a bit disregarding what i've said in the OP. I went through the tutorials and guides, tried and tried, and fail at it mostly. Even when it just copy/paste work and when I did everything right.

Just because it is easy for you it does not mean it's easy for everyone. I have other talents where you most likely will fail at and that are easy for me to do. I do not expect that everyone will be good at it and enjoys doing it :)

And seriously, having to spend hundred + hours trying to get the hang of scripting just so you can create the mission you had in mind is a tiny bit silly. It is a 'game' I bought (with the advertised feature the editor), not a homework assignment. And I am not lazy, I have tried many hours already getting the hang of scripting.

I could ask everything I do not know about scripting here on the forum and I did ask some things already which helped, but that does not change my opinion that some more things could be build in to the editor or the wizard to make it easyer for everyone to create a nice diverse mission.

_____

Btw, one more thing that would be very handy to have in the editor is a added 'Ctrl C' function so that you can draw a box around objects you placed on the map, copy it and place the copied objects somewhere else on the map (such as a base you constructed).

Especially when switching between mission intro/outro and the main mission map this would be extremely handy. Now when I have created a cool fully decorated base on the mission map with H barriers, bunkers, empty armor etc, I have to recreate it manually all over again in the intro/outro.

Btw, one more thing that would be very handy to have in the editor is a added 'Ctrl C' function so that you can draw a box around objects you placed on the map, copy it and place the copied objects somewhere else on the map (such as a base you constructed).

Especially when switching between mission intro/outro and the main mission map this would be extremely handy. Now when I have created a cool fully decorated base on the mission map with H barriers, bunkers, empty armor etc, I have to recreate it manually all over again in the intro/outro.

That is already possible. Ctrl+C to copy, ctrl+V to paste.

That is already possible. Ctrl+C to copy, ctrl+V to paste.

Omg really? I have been doing it manually all the time lol. Thats great :)

Yes, and Ctrl+Shift+V will paste them at the exact same coordinates.

Actually it will offset the pasted units by the offset from where you copied them. If mouse doesn't change between cope and paste, then the pasted items will appear at the same coordinates.

The editors a great, powerful tool. Lets switch to the 3D Editor and make it better and even more powerful. Make all the objects placeable, and put out the documentation.

I cannot understand why some people like to think that you should have to learn how to script to be able to make advanced missions. Why should a customer have to spend a year to learn how to use the full potential of a product. That is just like selling an oven without an instruction manual. It is a ridiculous argument to say such a thing.

I'm sure it would be perfectly easy to add lots of modules (basically scripts that you don't have to type anything for) to the game. What about a module for "respawn west" and all the units you wish to respawn could be synched with this module and voila! Same can be done with either side.

This means that you can create a lot more varied mission without having to spending your entire social life sat behind a desk. There are a lot of possibilities here and i really like using the modules in game at the moment as it means that i can make use of some more of the editors features.

I agree that the editor could be a bit simplified while keeping all those advanced scripting options open for those how have enough time to spend on it.

The modules is a good start.

Now I could make use of an "integrated 3d asset viewer". would be a lot easier to know what you're selecting!

Also having the ability to edit the standard equipment of it in the same interface would be something! (ie for vehicles and soldiers).

Let's see how we could use this:

Ok I want that group. I can't remember the name of it. No problem I just scroll trough the list and look in the 3d window what I have. Once I've found it I can edit the group equipment from there. Eventually I could just create a new personalized group from that edited one.

Now I want a vehicle. I just select and view each model in 3d before choosing the one I'm interested in and then edit the loadout.

Imagine being able to do that without having to type a line of script! This would be heaven for most ppl.

I do agree, I've only scraped scripting ect on how to do various things, I haven't got the time to sit and trawl through documents over documents over documents of how too, I do agree strongly with OP that the Editor should be more user friendly and on a whole simpler.

;1698338']The editors a great' date=' powerful tool. Lets switch to the 3D Editor and make it better and even more powerful. Make all the objects placeable, and put out the documentation.[/quote']

The 3D editor is not as powerful as the normal one.

The most powerful mission workflow is a combination of normal editor (I'd say anywhere from 80-99%), 3D editor, and script.

I agree that the editor could be a bit simplified while keeping all those advanced scripting options open for those how have enough time to spend on it.

The modules is a good start.

Now I could make use of an "integrated 3d asset viewer". would be a lot easier to know what you're selecting!

Also having the ability to edit the standard equipment of it in the same interface would be something! (ie for vehicles and soldiers).

Let's see how we could use this:

Ok I want that group. I can't remember the name of it. No problem I just scroll trough the list and look in the 3d window what I have. Once I've found it I can edit the group equipment from there. Eventually I could just create a new personalized group from that edited one.

Now I want a vehicle. I just select and view each model in 3d before choosing the one I'm interested in and then edit the loadout.

Imagine being able to do that without having to type a line of script! This would be heaven for most ppl.

Kind of like in VBS2 where you can see the unit you selected in a 3d screen, really usefull.

I have to agree that the editor is fine. Templates actually do become a pain in the butt because you have to customize them so much, you might as well just learn how to do it.

Plus with things like this from the community it isn't that hard.

Plus with things like this from the community it isn't that hard.

Why isn't that already in the editor? Wait. Maybe that should be a feature of the 3D editor.

p.s.

The argument that things are fine and changing will make it difficult for new people is Bulls#%t

Edited by Two Dogs

I agree, there's a lot you can do without scripting. Hell there's a lot you can do without even typing a single line of code. The editor is extremely flexible, easy to use for novices and powerful enough for more advanced users.

I think the problem is just that it's not documented enough. Documentation has always been an issue with BIS: that is it's usually left up to the community. They do contribute, but not nearly as much as the rest of us. :cool:

Still, you can't expect something that you can just pick up right away and make amazingly good campaign-like missions. It takes time, and lots of "discovery". :)

No offences but if it's all that simple, just tell me how to do such a basic thing as editing my units loadout without using scripts?

what about some better features in the editor tool (units triggers etc)

why can i select animal sounds from an effects menu and not more scripts?

for example

if i want the halo script for a player i select the effects button and select it from a list

instead of

this setpos [getpos this select 0, getpos this select 1,(getpos this select 2) +2500; this flyinheight 1000; this setvelocity [0,0,0]; [this] exec "ca\air2\halo\data\Scripts\Hal***o_init.sqs " 

here is another example

if you could raise and lower units/objects with a slider or height box

instead of

this setPos [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1, 20]

assigning empty vehicles to units

Edited by hobojoe

Now that we're brainstorming...

Modules could have their individual UI's with fields corresponding to at least their most important parameters?

Now that we're brainstorming...

Modules could have their individual UI's with fields corresponding to at least their most important parameters?

thats what im talking about

I do like the modules. Besides for the virtual artillery and battlefield clearance I can work with all modules and it is truly easy to use. I would like to see a ton more modules :) For some modules like the basic support I would like to see a build in option where you can make the module work once or repeatedly (like a trigger).

And indeed as you mentioned Hobo, more drop down options (lists) that you can select instead of manual script input.

And indeed as you mentioned Hobo, more drop down options (lists) that you can select instead of manual script input.

Thanks

it would also make it easier to share community scripts with others (not so programming inclined)

leaving more time to work on new stuff

i wish i had a programmers brain but i am more visualy inclined

(like down the sight of ma gun)