Sign in to follow this  
slickric21

Operation Arrowhead - not detecting VRAM & RAM

Hi there, I'm completley new to this game series and have just got OA.

I've been slowly getting to grips with getting this beast of a game up and running but one thing is still bothering me...

In the .cfg file my localVRAM and nonlocalVRAM seem to be set at the worng values no matter what I do.

They always set themselves at..

localVRAM=535156736;

nonlocalVRAM=535156736

yet my card has 2Gb of VRAM and my system has 8GB of RAM.

I've been all over these forums all day and have read and tried many of the things i've found - nothing has worked to make the game detect amounts nearer to what I actually have hardware wise. It always returns the values above.

Tried the -winxp parameter, I limited my system ram to 7804mb in msconfig, i even removed 2 sticks and ran with 4096mb, I have tried with/without a pagefile.

Also I edited the file manully myself and set to read only - but i've just read that this does nothing anyway.

Whats the latest opinions on these values and is it something i should be wasting time over ?

I'm bothered about this becuase I seem to be getting some frame skipping/stutter ...like when flying over the map in a helo, and i'm trying to rule out factors.

So far i've established its not GFX drivers,Hyperthreading or pagefile on a Ramdisk causing this stutter. (tested all on/off and its still stutters in the same place)

I don't think its HDD access - I have the game installed on a OCZ Vertex SSD and my OS is on a separate SSD, my pagefile is on a 2gb Ramdisk.

Using the latest beta patch 72107 and Win 7 x64.

You may change the entry by hand in your .cfg file to the correct parameter.

And dont forget to make that file write protected after you are done.

So it cant change your new settings at the next start up.

Changing those values in the .cfg does nothing, confirmed by Suma in another thread.

^^ Thats what i thought.

does this mean i'm basically playing with 512mb of VRAM and 512mb of normal ram though ???

Seems abit crap if I am :(

No, I am pretty sure setting other options like Texture Detail and Video Memory determines how much VRAM is used.

Cheers for the info on this Maverick96,

What video setting do you guys recommend I use then ?

If i'm set to default at the mo, but the game is incorrectly detecting I have 512mb of VRAM (I have 2gb remember)

Would it be best if I set that to very high ?

Yeah cheers for that, but as I've detailed above..... according to the .cfg file it's only detecting 512mb of ram.

So if I set to default, it reads the amount from .cfg file.

Which it's incorrectly setting at 512mb ish.

It should be 2000mb.

My question was (as we've established altering the .cfg yourself manually does nothing)

should I therefor choose 'very high' setting instead ?

yes,put it on VERY HIGH.

mine looks like this (on a PALIT GTX285 2GB DDR3 and 8 GB of DDR2 @ 800) :

localVRAM=2126184448;

nonlocalVRAM=2147389440;

Edited by seelix

Very High = 2GB

High = 1GB

Put it on very high as you've got a 2GB card.

Cheers for the help guys.

I will try very high then, although all the info I've read so far pointed to the fact that..

Very high= 512mb

Default = whatever value automatically set in cfg file

@ Seelix

yes your game has detected your VRAM properly thou, mine reports the 512mb figure in the cfg file everytime !!!

what values for memory are listed in in places like:

Dxdiag/display tab?

Nvidia control panel/ System information?

Does windows report the correct amount of system ram?

Edited by -=seany=-

Well i think everything is fine.

System Info = "Adapter RAM 2,147,483,648 bytes"

Ati Tray Tools = "Installed memory 2048"

GPU-Z= "2048mb"

(However Dxdiag reports "approx total memory 996mb" - but i'm sure i read before somewhere that wont show the correct amount)

As for my 8gb of RAM, thats all fine and reported as 8Gb everywhere.

What is the nonLocal vram?Is this system ram that is for storing textures?And 500mbytes is what I have allocated then?

vram is VideoRam i.e. the ram it detects on your videocard.

I have the same problem. Both A2 and OA reports:

localVRAM=400654272;

nonlocalVRAM=400654272;

I have 2 x 4890 1GB RAM in x-fire (although it doesn't work in OA) and both catalyst and GPU-Z reports 1024MB.

Rest of the specs: Q9550 @ 2.81 GHz and 8GB RAM. Running 1.07.71750 A2 and 1.52.71816 OA.

Anyone have any idea why only detects about 40% of my vram? It's quite annoying as it takes alot longer to load the textures...

Very High = 2GB

High = 1GB

Put it on very high as you've got a 2GB card.

hmmm, Default is for large VRAM Cards? Where do you get your info? Though i have seen Nvida users use High and VeryHigh instead of Default, to limit CTDs, but that was with A2.. did OA change up the Memory choices?

I've tried both 10.7 and 10.6 and they both show the same. Changing the memory-settings doesn't do anything. If I change back to 10.2 it's correct again with 1 GB local and 2 GB nonlocal (pagefile?).