Sign in to follow this  
Blitzen

Newcomer to OFP--Looking into modifications

Greetings all!

I'm a newcomer to these forums as well as OFP. I've orderd the GOTY edition and decided to try out the demo to pass the time. After playing the demo, it is clearly evident that the game has a ton of potential and replay ability:D. However, I am hoping to modernize the game by installing some modifications. What I wanna know from some of you experienced players is: what are the best combination of modifications for a modern warfare experience?

Major mods that have caught my eye have been FFUR 2007 (what does that stand for?:confused:), WW4 and some sort of configuration project modification?? My main goal is to go ahead and download all the patches and mods that I need so that I'm good to go once the game arrives. Any info you guys can give would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

Blitz

do a thread search on ww4, other than that there are tons of addons you can add to your game and tons of threads that will show you how, peace.

www.ofpr.info

Edited by BronzeEagle

Well how would you compare WW4 to FFUR? Also, are compatibility issues common with mixing/multiple mods?

Thanks

Learn about using mod folders.

You'll be able mix mods without breaking your game (some mods and addons don't work well together). There are ways to merge some of the bigger mods (e.g. wgl+slx, graa+ecp, etc. . .) - you'll have to do some homework, but it's well worth it. This is important b/c you can end up with several Gigs of addons and mods you might want to try - BronzeEagle's link can lead to that. . .

As for mod recommendations, WGL and the FDF mod are great - the easiest way to get set up with them can be found on the CiA website.

WGL+SLX and GRAA+ECP are great, as are FFUR and ww4 for what you're looking for. If you look into other time periods/conflicts (past, future), it'll be obvious which ones to try (too many to name while typing with one hand. . .).

Learn about the WGL models replacement system to get things looking good.

Additional tips:

-nomap

-nosplash

dslyecxi's ofp intro - good intro to the game, don't know if the links are good

Make sure to get all patched up.

Edited by Anguis

Learn about using mod folders.

You'll be able mix mods without breaking your game (some mods and addons don't work well together). There are ways to merge some of the bigger mods (e.g. wgl+slx, graa+ecp, etc. . .) - you'll have to do some homework, but it's well worth it. This is important b/c you can end up with several Gigs of addons and mods you might want to try - BronzeEagle's link can lead to that. . .

As for mod recommendations, WGL and the FDF mod are great - the easiest way to get set up with them can be found on the CiA website.

WGL+SLX and GRAA+ECP are great, as are FFUR and ww4 for what you're looking for. If you look into other time periods/conflicts (past, future), it'll be obvious which ones to try (too many to name while typing with one hand. . .).

Learn about the WGL models replacement system to get things looking good.

Additional tips:

-nomap

-nosplash

dslyecxi's ofp intro - good intro to the game, don't know if the links are good

Make sure to get all patched up.

Thanks for the reply, really some good info in there! :thumbsup:

I especially enjoyed dslyecxi's OFP info. I will spend some time reading up on the squad/soldier commands. As I said, what I hope to do through modding is to create a realistic, modern day battlefield. Just from browsing around here, I know that you can mix mods. However, I was planning on downloading FFUR, which would be the bulk of the content, and then mixing in small additions. I guess my next request would be for someone to point me in the direction of a manual for FFUR or OFP (official). I just need something that will outline whats included in FFUR.

For the best all around gameplay, I would suggest WGL. To make it modern, try the Operation Enduring Freedom mod (US forces versus Taliban using WGL scripts, effects, values etc). These days I don't play anything else.

FFUR is a replacement mod, it is made to modernize the look of OFP so you can replay mission and campaigns that feature original units with different kind of visual and features.

WGL is a modification of the gameplay, it adds new army corps and units, and while you can replay original missions and campaigns, it is always best played with missions and campaigns that are designed for this mod.

But nothing prevents you to have as many mods installed as you want anyways.

But for best stability it is better to not launch them all in the same time.

Usually, a hint to which mods are not compatible with which ones is to give a look into the /bin/ subfolder of such mod if it exists.

If there is a file named config.cpp or config.bin inside, it will not be compatible with a mod that feature a /bin/ subfolder and a config.cpp/config.bin inside.

One of the mod will take priority and the configuration file of the other mode will be mostly ignored.

Some people have tried to write some "merging" configuration to have the benefit of 2 mods with their own config.

But most of the time, better launch the mod you want to play instead of launching many at the same time. Performance will be better too if it does not have to load too many things in memory.

FFUR is a replacement mod, it is made to modernize the look of OFP so you can replay mission and campaigns that feature original units with different kind of visual and features.

I'm under the belief that there are two flavors of the FFUR mod? A 2008 edition which is meant to be within the same time frame of the original campaigns. The other would be the 2007 FFUR which has modern day units, weapons, vehicles, etc. Is this correct?

Also, let me clarify: When I say I am looking for "modern warfare" I mean modern as in weaponry, vehicles, etc. Not necessarily modern/on going conflicts (the situation in the middle east). Though I wouldnt mind playing an on going conflict, like I said, Im really looking more for modern weaponry (as well as playing against an AI who also uses modern weaponry)

Thanks for the help!

Note that you are not forced to download a mod to play with something modern, you can download individual addons that fits with whatever country, army, equipment, era, vehicles you want.

Very often, those thousands of addons are compatible with mods, there are some exceptions though but they are rare.

Replacement mods often use some content from individual addons to replace original content.

Anyways, bookmark this :

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?newlang=eng

As you will go there a lot when you'll have OFP ready.

Purely out of curiosity, why would you join the OFP community now, nine years and two sequels after its release? ArmA 2 is just a very highly upgraded version of OFP, you know.

Purely out of curiosity, why would you join the OFP community now, nine years and two sequels after its release? ArmA 2 is just a very highly upgraded version of OFP, you know.

Mmm... maybe because the OFP community still exists, my bad, and because everybody doesn't like ArmA2. I'm playing it less than OFP, because it's boring IMHO. Maybe OA will raise my interest.

:yeahthat:

unless your pc is super old or something, I would suggest you grab ArmA 2 :)

If I had a computer that could run ARMA 2 then I would be all over it :D. Things I enjoy most in a game are: gameplay, replay ability, and a challenge. I do not fall in love with games because they have pretty graphics. Since Operation Flashpoint has (hopefully) all of the things I like and my computer cant run ARMA 2, then the choice is simple. :cool:

**EDIT**

Plus it was cheap :D

Edited by Blitzen

That's the stuff man! People are comin to ofp now arma is obsolete now lmao

That's the stuff man! People are comin to ofp now arma is obsolete now lmao

Well the more the better I suppose :rolleyes: Have you guys tried out the combat mission series? They seem like the would be right up your guy's alley.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows of any good squad command mods? Specifically one that simplifies the command giving and controls? Though the current squad commands are elaborate and seem to cover a broad spectrum of things, I find it cubersome to go through each menu to get to a specific command. Has anyone created a better system?

Thanks

Handsignals Command System - I don't know if it's a better system, but it's fun!

search for fwatch in these OFP forums (big eye opener) - use it w/ XP compatibility mode

while you're at it, look into dxdll - if your comp can handle all it does, you might the like visuals it produces (I'm only able to use it for clean screenshots - lags too much with the other stuff)

Edited by Anguis

Because despite the new games the original still is one of the best playing and running version out of all of them. We still play it to this day because it's fun. if you like ArmA or ArmA 2 fine but none of those are OFP.

The mods also make the difference all the FFUR series,WW4,GRAA ,WGL and so on changed the original game into something so much more.

I show guys who played the original OFP, OFP with GRAA 3.0 and they freak at how well the guys look, the iron sights and the OTS view and reinstall it and play it all over again.

The WGL mod has a ton of missions and islands ready for play and I highly recommend it.

I personally love the FFUR series you have woodland,desert,winter, asian conflict, SLX series like 2005,2006 and 2007 are some of the best things out there. Now add missions like TOW,WGL missions,Hong Kong missions,CTI ect and you can play for the next 1o years and never play the all same thing twice over.

I am actually starting within our clan Friday Night Flashbacks. Where we concentrate on a a certain mod each week and a certain set of missions and play them for a couple hours. We used to do this and had great times doing it.

Anyways enough rambling but OFP with a group of friends can be one of the funnest games and good times you will ever have.

Edited by njmatrix

I can understand the computer performance issues (especially with ArmA 2), but I really don't get the "because it's just not the same" argument. ArmA 2 actually is basically the same as OFP: same engine, same basic mechanics, same style of gameplay. The only difference is that it has been improved in many ways, including vastly enhanced visuals, a plethora of new scripting commands and mission editor features, and far better AI.

Sure, there were some great mods for OFP, especially WGL, but ArmA 2 has mods like this, too. ACE is the spiritual successor to WGL, including all of its core features and generally improving upon them. So where's the disadvantage here?

The only thing you could say that OFP really had that was way better than its successors was its campaigns (CWC and Resistance). They were truly awesome, especially for their time, and neither the ArmA nor ArmA 2 campaigns have really been able to rival them. Once you've finished those, though, the newest version of OFP (i.e., ArmA 2) is clearly superior to the oldest version (even though OFP was a great game that I played to death).

Edited by ST_Dux

I play OFP, ArmA (not so much) and ArmA 2.

The campaign, the 'atmosphere', the mods, the scripts, the missions, the campaigns and the addons. There are many of these things and they have added to the games lifespan immeasurably but at the end of the day I play it because I want to.

I can understand the computer performance issues (especially with ArmA 2), but I really don't get the "because it's just not the same" argument. ArmA 2 actually is basically the same as OFP: same engine, same basic mechanics, same style of gameplay. The only difference is that it has been improved in many ways, including vastly enhanced visuals, a plethora of new scripting commands and mission editor features, and far better AI.

Sure, there were some great mods for OFP, especially WGL, but ArmA 2 has mods like this, too. ACE is the spiritual successor to WGL, including all of its core features and generally improving upon them. So where's the disadvantage here?

The only thing you could say that OFP really had that was way better than its successors was its campaigns (CWC and Resistance). They were truly awesome, especially for their time, and neither the ArmA nor ArmA 2 campaigns have really been able to rival them. Once you've finished those, though, the newest version of OFP (i.e., ArmA 2) is clearly superior to the oldest version (even though OFP was a great game that I played to death).

I don't agree with this, but it's a matter of taste obviously. I'm playing both OFP and ArmA2, and despite some obvious (and most of the time painful) changes in AI behaviour and of course a lot of graphical enhancement, i'm not having fun with ArmA2. I'm happy to play it, but it's boring me. Despite its flaws and limited scripting commands, i'm enjoying OFP much more.

And talking about mods, ArmA2 ones are very poor, apart from the overwhelming ACE, mainly "i'm gonna make the army of my country" ones, which i don't care at all. Thanks God some modders try and develop some interesting ones, such as Vietnam or Stargate for example. But those creative ones are very scarce. Mainly because BI isn't really supporting the community by giving it enough Mlods or documented tools/config/how to. It's becoming a real pain to mod.

Any RPK/RPDs with drum mags? Always loved that weapon on Americas Army :)

Welcome to the forums, Blitzen. But I'd like to advise you to use the addOn request thread, if you're looking for anything else.

Closing the thread, since the discussion got a bit out of hand and didn't even belong here in the first place.