Sign in to follow this  
luker27

Opf on xbox

I know this might seem sacrilegiousto some of you, but as a lot of you probably know, Operation Flashpoint will make an appearance on the XBox. What I'm wanting to know is:

1. Will it include Red Hammer. They talk about "The Original Campaign" and Resistance.

2. How much will the engine be tweaked to take advantage of the XBox's GPU? I've read that the XBox is very good at handling particle effects and when a grenade is thrown in Halo the dirt blown up looks very nice.

The thing I'm most looking forward to about the port is the ability to play MP as at the moment I only have a lowly 56k connection, but hopefully I will be able to play splitscreen DM/CoOp. Porting to the XBox will also open up OPF to a plethora of new players who never had the opportunity to play on PC. However we will once again have this forum flooded by n00b fanboys complaining about not being able to run/jump with the rpg, dying from one hit, and that the game is unrealistic.

Go to the News Discussion Board, and you will find plenty of people who would love to answer yer questions.

there is no chance anything in OFP will look better on the x-box than it does on PC, because nothing the X-box has you cant get on a PC.. expecially graphics.. consoles (x-box..etc) use parts that have already been in the PC market.. usually for a year or so.. so they will never be better.. anything you find in a console has already been around in the PC..

plus TV=800X600 res AT BEST.. woohoo.. tasty

Wobble - You have a good point about the age of some of the XBox's components compared to state-of-the-art PC parts.  

I'm running OPF on an Athlon 1.2ghz, 512mb SDRam and a GeForce 2 Mx400.  I can run everything on max detail at 1024x768 and it looks very pretty (to me) and there's no/little slowdown.  The XBox has a 733mhz quasi-Celeron/PIII chip (which one is it? It only has 128kb of L2 cache) which appears underpowered and only has 64meg of ram.  

However because it doesn't have to worry about running a bloated OS in the background and the ram is DDR wouldn't this make it comparable, performace wise, to some of the more powerful PC's?  Plus I believe the GPU is an NV20 which is in between a GeForce 3 and 4.  I'm sure this would be able to handle the graphics a lot better than my horribly underpowered Mx400.  But I do concede the point about the Tv's resolution being a downside.

Just for the record, I don't own an XBox, nor am I a system "fanboy".  But I am thinking of buying an XBox, and the quality of OPF on it is a big factor for me.

Can the xbox gpu do old fasion dx7 style rendering which is in OFP?

It has the vertex shaders and pixel shaders, but does it have a legacy pipeline like the gf3/4?

They might have to recode the graphics to this new standard and at the same time that would raise the bar of the graphics. Maybe there could be a DX8 patch for OFP so the whole engine would work off the new pipeline smile.gif (not holding my breath though)

COLINMAN

I'm not sure I agree with Wobble about this graphics issue. I just bought a new XBox the other day, and honestly I haven't seen any PC games that compare graphically to Halo or Wreckless. I realize that the top of the line pc's right now can top the xbox, but the xbox has it's motherboard built with gaming in mind, which a PC still does not, so it it can transfer/relegate data much better. As such even with seemingly underpowered hardware it can still keep up quite nicely. The thing about developing for the xbox is that you can take full advantage of all of it's capabilities (assuming you know how to program well). With PC's, developers can't optimize for the fastest thing out there because everything has to be compatible for those that have old pos computers, because otherwise it would reduce the market. So IMHO, I don't know if BIS will increase the graphics on the Xbox, but I do think they can.

wright.. the bottom line is

A: your resolution is at best half of what the PC runs the game at

B: the hardware is at least a year behind what PCs at the same time have

C: 0 expanadbility, patchability and lack of controls..

but the xbox has it's motherboard built with gaming in mind

PCs MBs are built with max SPEED in mind and thats what matters.. the faster the data transfer the better the thing will run games "built for games" doesent exsit.. speed=games.. and everything else.

All fine with me.  Gives the X-Box people a chance to play this great game !

I thought console users were more arcadish oriented ??

What the heck .. i have only one thing to say about OFP on XBOX

OFP with a GAMEPAD confused.gif? LOL  biggrin.gif

Isnt that a bit like driving a real F1 car with a joystick ?

Good luck !

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">B: the hardware is at least a year behind what PCs at the same time have

C: 0 expanadbility, patchability and lack of controls..<span id='postcolor'>

One thing you seem to forget is the fact that the X-Box has a much more efficient architecture than a 'standard' PC (in terms of data transfer and such). This means it's optimised for stuff like games, thus able to outperform a PC with similar and often even higher specs. A console is able to produce better graphics because it doesnt have to waste any processor power and memory to an operating system, it doesnt have any hardware conflicts and it's designed to have the least possible bottlenecks. Added to that is the fact that a console game can be designed to use 100% of it's target system resources. PC games simply cant do that because they have to be designed to run on an almost infinite number of system setups, all having their own limits and characteristics which have to be taken into account.

And the XB indeed does have a harddisk, so you CAN in fact patch and expand the game.

Oooops,

Just thought of something ....

No more non ofp holidays !! hehe

Ok the controls s*ck, but no more non-ofp holidays biggrin.gif

Wife on the beach, kids at the pool ....

Viva OFP on XBOX !

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JAP @ April 18 2002,08:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Viva OFP on XBOX !<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry, but the Xbox is the worst console out there and OFP will NOT be popular on it because of that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (deathguy @ April 18 2002,18:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JAP @ April 18 2002,08wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Viva OFP on XBOX !<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry, but the Xbox is the worst console out there and OFP will NOT be popular on it because of that.<span id='postcolor'>

that were my thoughts too !

But if i can play OFP on holiday maybe i have to revise my opinion wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (deathguy @ April 18 2002,18:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JAP @ April 18 2002,08wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Viva OFP on XBOX !<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry, but the Xbox is the worst console out there and OFP will NOT be popular on it because of that.<span id='postcolor'>

No it isn't. If anything my Xbox gets way more play time than any other console combined. Sometimes the Xbox gets more playtime than my PC. Simply because of these great console games.

-Halo

-Project Gotham Racing

-Dead or Alive 3

-Tony Hawk 3

Granted, I don't think Operation Flashpoint would work well with the console crowed. Operation Flashpoint is a sim, meaning it has a pretty steep learning curve. People buy consoles because of their simplicity. Consoles will never give you compatability issues, every game made for the console is guarrenteed to work, and console games in general are designed with a "quick-fix" tempo in mind. This means console games are designed with great graphics and simplicity in mind.

However, being the grade-B geek I am, PC will always come first. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ April 17 2002,11:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">plus TV=800X600 res AT BEST.. woohoo..  tasty<span id='postcolor'>

do i hear a 42" wide screen HDTV calling?

To say that most people who play console games enjoy stupid and unrealistic arcade type games isnt fair, and its wrong. I play both my PC and my xbox, and i like them both equaly. Xbox has plenty of power to run ofp, and it has plenty of power to equal or surpass the average computer for the next few years,at least graphics wise.

But i dont think thats the main issue. I wondering how much ofp will have to be downgraded or cutback do to lack of controls. How will you control your twelve man squad? or the mission editor(if there is one), or many other things. On the xbox controller there are only 13 buttons(15 if you count pushing down the thumbsticks). That just simply doesnt compare with a keyboard. This is the only thing that i am dont think is good for ofp on the xbox. But otherwise id love to see it on there.

By the way, has there been an official statement from codemasters or bis about the conversion

I Cried for an hour when I herd about ofp on xbox.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (timmy @ April 18 2002,04:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way, has there been an official statement from codemasters or bis about the conversion<span id='postcolor'>

to answer my own question, yes. Its official i just got it from http://www.codemasters.com/news/displayarticles.php?showarticle=1200

and to wobble:“On Xbox, it offers twice as much action as in the original PC game, with the inclusion of the enhanced Resistance missions. We are refining the controls and interface for maximum playability, and beefing up the graphical effects to take full advantage of the hardware.â€

X-box OFP:

- Stuck at 640x480 resolution (good luck seeing those snipers more than 20 feet away)

- Uses a gamepad/joystick (the most horrible part of all, I cannot possibly imagine trying to pick off distant targets with my M-16 or tank while trying to aim with a stupid joystick)

- Borked command interface (go ahead, try to tell 1,2,3 and 4 to scan 9 o'clock while telling 5,6,7 and 8 to scan 3 o'clock, it will probably take fifteen minutes to do with a gamepad)

- Non-existant chat / planning, which is crucial in a game like OFP

- Very unlikely to see any real mods or expansions beyond what BIS or Codemasters decides to do (be honest, how many mod makers are going to develop a mod for the Xbox version when they can have much more freedom and a more appreciative response developing for the PC crowd? After all, the PC game has been out a year almost.)

- If you want to play MP, you gotta pay for the game, then pay Microsoft to use their broadband service, then hope to Hell and God you can actually find more than five other people who can afford to play too

In short, I think it's a rotten idea all around, but if it makes BIS lots of money and subsequently helps them get Resistance and Independence Lost out the door quicker and/or make them better, I'm all for it.

biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles @ April 18 2002,20:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Consoles suck bad<span id='postcolor'>

Care to back-up that opinion of yours with facts?

X-Box might be nice but....there's one limitation as with most consoles: the TV. Most TVs have very low resolution resulting many great games look bad. I just cant figure how can you shoot at 200-300 meters with iron sights on X-Box plugged on TV...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (762WorldOrder @ April 18 2002,23:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- Uses a gamepad/joystick (the most horrible part of all, I cannot possibly imagine trying to pick off distant targets with my M-16 or tank while trying to aim with a stupid joystick)<span id='postcolor'>

Add the force feedback feature ( i don t even know if Xbox has that confused.gif ) and you don t hit a thing anymore biggrin.gif

Lol, project gotham racing ? Is that even any good ?

If you ve seen/played GT3 why even bother trying another racing game ? Consolewise => PS/2 still rules price/quality/quantity and if i m tired of it i can always sell it to the highest bidder for using my chip for a missle guiding system.

I've never been a big fan of console gaming. But I feel the XBox is going to change this for me. With the massive price cut I'm going to buy one next week. I'm hoping that Flashpoint on the XBox will be tweaked to take advantage of the XBox GPU and things like the AI are improved. If BIS get it right they setting themselves up for bigger and better things, and I believe they throughly deserve it. My only fear is that they "dumb" the game down to make it more appealing to the average Johnny Quaker

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (luker27 @ April 19 2002,13:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My only fear is that they "dumb" the game down to make it more appealing to the average Johnny Quaker<span id='postcolor'>

I`m pretty sure this will happen. Else no one of this console-kiddies will buy and play it!

Johnny Quaker:

"I was only hit one time with this rocket launcher, why the FUCK am I dead? And why can I only save one time?? This game is shit, I`ll better continue playing Tekken X!"