Sign in to follow this  
Funkman

Getting units inside of a building

Hello,

I am making a movie, and in it, I want some units to be hanging out in a bar.

I have found one, however, when I place the units 'on' it in the editor, they appear on the roof.

Any ideas how I can get them in the ground floor, and then any tips for how I can make things look a bit more 'bar-like' - eg. How I can have people possibly sitting on chairs, and how I get the soldiers to have no weapons?

Many thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Edit: Ok, I just though that using the setHeight command I can do it, assuming there is one, I will look it up, but any tips on how to get that bar atmosphere going would be more than welcome.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

EDIT 2: I have been using this, but it does not seem to be working (he is on the second story roof to start with):

US1 setPos [getpos player select 0, getpos player select 1 + -7];

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Changed to this, still no luck:

US1 setPos [getpos US1 select 0, getpos US1 select 1, getpos US1 select 2 + -7];

have you tried

this setPosATL [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1, "height value"]

thats what i use to put units in buildings, and as for making them look more "bar-like", i have no idea.

My understanding is that you would need:

US1 setpos [getpos US1 Select 0, getpos US1 select 1, (getpos US1 select 2) -7]

The -7 would be to go down in height. To go up it would be +7. You need to have that last set in the ( ) and the height value outside of it.

That same setup applies to the X and Y sections of the Array there also. If you wanted to move it West or East on the Map editor you would add this

US1 setpos [(Getpos US1 select 0)+7, getpos US1 select 1, getpos US1 select 2]

You can add any change to just one field of the array or to all parts. It is easier to keep track of if you think of X as East and West. and Y as North and South

Hope I helped

Funny, this is exactly what I did last night for one of my cut scenes in a pub. I used the setposatl command, just like Militantsausage demonstrated. I believe my z value was 0.23, which applies to one of Chernogorsk pubs. Others are probably different. I started with a 0 z value, but their feet were under the floor :)

have you tried

thats what i use to put units in buildings, and as for making them look more "bar-like", i have no idea.

Spot on mate, worked like a charm. Thanks for that.

If I can indulge you with one more question, how do I remove the weapons from units?

Put in the units init field,

removeAllWeapons this

this should do the trick.

regards

Okok, my Machinima, Reminiscience is finally finished. I wanted to post in all these support threads so people can see what they were helping me out with.

I thank you all for your help.

Hahahaha. Bloody awesome. Haven't laughed this hard in ages :)

For next project (if any), from a cinematic standpoint; maybe more cuts and less fancy camera moves. But, that was minor critique. Very minor.

Frigging loved it :D

I have a similar question. I want to do a house raid, and how do I place the units?

I have a similar question. I want to do a house raid, and how do I place the units?

Did you try searching? I know there must be a ton of threads about this (I know because I've answered so many of them).

nice vid funk!

maybe just me but i tink the general sounded a bit like arnold schwarzenegger :D

Fantastic! XD The story is so sick. lol funny as hell.

I'm not too sure whether this is still applicable, but a while ago I made a script that automatically positioned units in a random position within a building and deleted any leftover units if all spots were filled; placing around 6 units with this script around any enterable building usually filled it up

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73843

Hey, man loved the vid. Very original.

Please post the exact command that placed you at the right height in the bar.

And also, where did you get the press chick? That's an addon right?

Hey hey,

Ok the exact command was:

this setPosATL [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1, 1];

The press chick is an Addon for Arma 1, its the only female model that will dance. Search "Faux News" to find it.

Glad you liked my vid.