Sign in to follow this  
Blake

Machineguns too inaccurate

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ April 23 2002,08:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

If i remember right, I was watching some thing on the Marines, i cant really remeber, but they were doing some practicing in the jungle using live ammo and the machine gunner had a M60A3(i cant really remeber)but it has a little handle for your hand in the front of the gun and it just sticks straight down and you actually stand and fire, so your actually firing it like a rifle, standing.<span id='postcolor'>

All LMGs have a carrying handle like you describe, but the recoil of an M60 would make it unpractical to try to shoot it unsupported.

The M249 SAW is a more likely candidate for that sort of thing, and there is even a short version of it -- is this what you saw on TV?

m249-short-saw.gif

Do you believe everything that on TV? They can still shoot it, but have you thought about how many pounds of ammo you need to cary for that? I don't think you'd see a soldier wearing 75 pounds of ammo in combat... It would be way to clumsy and cumbersome... Does anyone here have the exact ammo/minutes ratio of this gun, and the weight of a bullet sash/total bullets per sash?

Nope it was a M60 and im not talking about a carrying handle, im talking about a handle you hold when firing, while standing.Let me see if i can find a pictur or some thing on it.Oh and it as the Navy Seals that i watched not the marines.Later  smile.gif

There are vertical grips that attach to the handguard on M4s, but while M4s are capable of full-auto fire, they are of course not machine guns.

Knights Armament Systems has something called a Modular Weapon System (MWS) which replaces the handguard with multiple Picatinny rails which can accept accessories, and one of them is a vertical foregrip. Other companies like Atlantic Research Marketing Systems (ARMS) also offer vertical foregrips based on the standard M16 pistol grip.

newsirpic4.gif

The US military has type-classified the MWS, and I've seen it on rifles used by Special Forces troops in Afghanistan.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ April 24 2002,00:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There are vertical grips that attach to the handguard on M4s, but while M4s are capable of full-auto fire, they are of course not machine guns.

Knights Armament Systems has something called a Modular Weapon System (MWS) which replaces the handguard with multiple Picatinny rails which can accept accessories, and one of them is a vertical foregrip. Other companies like Atlantic Research Marketing Systems (ARMS) also offer vertical foregrips based on the standard M16 pistol grip.

newsirpic4.gif

The US military has type-classified the MWS, and I've seen it on rifles used by Special Forces troops in Afghanistan.<span id='postcolor'>

Pistol grip is what im talking about.Just couldnt think lol. smile.gif

here is some data:

as a Mgunner i had FN-MAG (M60 is the same weight)

MG - 11.750 kg

spare barrel - 2.750 kg.

ammo - 650 rds: 22 kg.

misc. - 8 kg.

thats more then 40 kg. without any backpack!

there is no way to measure time because that depends on the intensity of the fight but when your not mounted, we prefer to carry more. to the amount of 1000 rds.

Oh. i forgot number two. he carries about the number of bullets number one carries.

hand grip is nice and u have it but its only for assault, where your main goal is scare the shit out of yer enemy, till u can close in and shoot him in the head.

the fact is that most soldiers prefer to shoot single rounds on their assualt rifle is because of accuracy.

a NATO 7.62 will beat the shit of anyone who gets one. its really effective.

Tactics:

the purpose of a MG is support.

it has several advantages:

1. longer range.

2. the ability to fire burst accuratly.

3. the ability to generate accurate fire on one hand and suppressing fire on the other.

4. with the aid of laser pointer MG's are the bane of infantry. i used it in combat and i was able to hit targets at 400m. at night VERY accurately

if u use tripod that another ball game altogether.

if any of you still think that any assault rifle can lay such a heavy fire think again: just how much ammo rifleman has and how many bullets he can fire ACCURATELY.

we would say that a single FN-MAG is equivalent to 5-7 M-16.

edit: whats in the pic isnt M-60. its not long enough. its some kind of SAW.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scout @ April 24 2002,00:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">here is some data:

as a Mgunner i had FN-MAG (M60 is the same weight)

MG - 11.750 kg

spare barrel - 2.750 kg.

ammo - 650 rds: 22 kg.

misc. - 8 kg.

thats more then 40 kg. without any backpack!

there is no way to measure time because that depends on the intensity of the fight but when your not mounted, we prefer to carry more. to the amount of 1000 rds.

Oh. i forgot number two. he carries about the number of bullets number one carries.

hand grip is nice and u have it but its only for assault, where your main goal is scare the shit out of yer enemy, till u can close in and shoot him in the head.

the fact is that most soldiers prefer to shoot single rounds on their assualt rifle is because of accuracy.

a NATO 7.62 will beat the shit of anyone who gets one. its really effective.

Tactics:

the purpose of a MG is support.

it has several advantages:

1. longer range.

2. the ability to fire burst accuratly.

3. the ability to generate accurate fire on one hand and suppressing fire on the other.

4. with the aid of laser pointer MG's are the bane of infantry. i used it in combat and i was able to hit targets at 400m. at night VERY accurately

if u use tripod that another ball game altogether.

if any of you still think that any assault rifle can lay such a heavy fire think again: just how much ammo rifleman has and how many bullets he can fire ACCURATELY.

we would say that a single FN-MAG is equivalent to 5-7 M-16.

edit: whats in the pic isnt M-60. its not long enough. its some kind of SAW.<span id='postcolor'>

Nope its a M60.I went to the FAS web site and did a search.I typed in "M60 Machinegun".Ill give you the link.Oh its a M-60E3 i think.M60

then its a short version of the M60. im 6"6' and standing up it reaches above my hip.

its really long (i hope ill be able to post a pic of me and my FN-MAG biggrin.gif )

the length of FN-MAG is 127 cm

edit: as i said, its a light weight version for the M-60 and its shorter.

just look at the post of ussoldier11B. THIS is the length of a MG, about the same for M-60, M-240, or FN-MAG

I agree with the real life uses pointed out by scout, however these uses are not well represented in OFP.

well..... in OFP u can use the tactics quite successfully:

when u shoot prone, using short fast bursts is an exellent way to hit targets and it demands less aiming so u're able to shoot faster. another thing, if u remember the mission in the original campaign where ur releasing civilian hostages with the resistance, u get to climb a hill while, soviets pursue you.

thats a classical covering mission for machine gunner.

shoot, let your squad pass and get into position, go back 10-20 meters and so on.

u can also see that when u shoot on AI they tend to take cover, stopping their assault, so thats good too, and thats the main goals of a MG.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ April 23 2002,02:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If i remember right, I was watching some thing on the Marines, i cant really remeber, but they were doing some practicing in the jungle using live ammo and the machine gunner had a M60A3(i cant really remeber)but it has a little handle for your hand in the front of the gun and it just sticks straight down and you actually stand and fire, so your actually firing it like a rifle, standing.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, but that was M60E3 which wasn't available in 1985.

M60 in OPF is the older Vietnam-era model that is longer and clumsier that E3 therefore much harder to fire while standing.

E3 version has shorter barrel and forward pistol grip which certainly help shooting M60 while standing.

PK and M60 in Flashpoint should be fired from hip while holding the carrying handle, not like a rifle.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ April 24 2002,11:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ April 23 2002,02:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If i remember right, I was watching some thing on the Marines, i cant really remeber, but they were doing some practicing in the jungle using live ammo and the machine gunner had a M60A3(i cant really remeber)but it has a little handle for your hand in the front of the gun and it just sticks straight down and you actually stand and fire, so your actually firing it like a rifle, standing.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, but that was M60E3 which wasn't available in 1985.

M60 in OPF is the older Vietnam-era model that is longer and clumsier that E3 therefore much harder to fire while standing.

E3 version has shorter barrel and forward pistol grip which certainly help shooting M60 while standing.

PK and M60 in Flashpoint should be fired from hip while holding the carrying handle, not like a rifle.<span id='postcolor'>

Um i wasnt saying add that weapon.Remeber you posted:"2)Increase Machine Gun accuracy SLIGHTLY when firing on prone position and decreace accuracy even more when fring from knee/standing position (Who the hell anyway shoots old M60 or PK while standing aiming it like a rifle?) I'd like to see

'shoot-from-hip' animation when firing while standing. On knee positiion you'll at least get some support to your weapon."

I was just saying, there IS a machine gun that you can stand while shooting. smile.gif

Maybe you guys have fade tounge.gif I can hit objects just fine with the pk or M60. I like to use them when I play a DM in a town. I know a guy who dl's alot of addons and some of them do odd things to the game. I dont use any addons at all. I have some maps set at a high view distance and one of the addons he had made it look foggy in my game and in his. He took it out and it was ok. Another one made his game crash because he could not load my face jpg. The fix was when he took the addon out. I would say becareful what you dl. You never know what type of odd thing might happen