Sign in to follow this  
Blake

Machineguns too inaccurate

Let me first state that I like to play machinegunner's role in coop missions, so it's sad that the MGs in OFP are way too inaccurate to be useful. Of course, some might claim, machineguns are fire suppression weapons intended to spray out maximum volume of fire with little accuracy but I disagree.

The bipods (forward 'legs') in machineguns are never deployed as the should be. Fix them and too high recoil causing inaccurate firing and we have fairly realistic machineguns in OFP. Maybe by the next patch, not such a big fix BIS?

I agree. The M60 and the PK are way to inaccurate. No one want's to play them anymore!

I like the FN MAG addon. Pretty good rate of fire, much faster than 60 and PK. Also much more accurate. Needs a different skin though.

I think the M60 and PK are alright. With a little practice you can do a hell of a lot of damage. Firing in burst from prone is best.

I like using them in some custom missions, ones where the author has not adjusted their fleeing settings. I just spray a squad with machine gun fire, take out two or three of them (including the leader) and watch the rest retreat biggrin.gif

I would LOVE to be able to deploy the legs on m60's..the stability would be awesome. Basically BIS would need to design it like a vehicle.. like the M2. Some sort of "CreateUnit" or "CreateVehicle" command that would Create the "LegsExtended" version of the M60 as soon as you are prone and select "Deploy Legs" from the action menu.

Its doable and would return a great weapon to the game.

Why not just have the bipod down at all times?

Then when prone, the recoil should automatically be much less, but still heavy while standing or kneeling.

Agree

Machine guns are just useless in 98% of situations in OFP.

the AI cant aim to save their lives with it (literally) and a player isnt much better.

dunno, im pretty good with MG. its just the way u shoot.

ppl tend to spray which isnt the way to use one.

u might be surprised but the bi-pod (in real life) acts just like in the game! shoot more then 3 bullets a burst and u'll

miss.

so there no need to complain, MG isnt assault rifle its MG.

properly used and its a deadly weapon.

i take MG's in every mission i can cause it enables me to hit multiple target easily.

any way, all im saying is that u should use a MG as a MG not as a rifle.

I agree. I'm pretty good with the MG. LEt her rip and traverse back and forth. Kill everything! HAHAHAHAHA!!

....oh sorry.

I like using it in MP when my ping is really bad. Sniping can get frusterating.

If you only fire in shots of 1 or 2 bullets, why not use an m16?

Which is far more accurate when using this shooting style anyway?

To see how a proper machine gun works, play day of defeat 2.0 - a Half life mod.

thats simple! u shoot multiple burstd of 2-3 bullets, that way u are laying heavy fire, havier then any assault rifle can produce and ur shooting accuratly!

no one with a M-16 can do that!

secondly, its range, and last but not least: prior assault u lay suppressing fire that consists of long brust and is aimed to lower heads when our guys close the distance.

using it in any other time is a waste of bullets, and ull finish of your ammo very very quickly!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scout @ April 17 2002,05:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">dunno, im pretty good with MG. its just the way u shoot.

ppl tend to spray which isnt the way to use one.

u might be surprised but the bi-pod (in real life) acts just like in the game! shoot more then 3 bullets a burst and u'll

miss.

so there no need to complain, MG isnt assault rifle its MG.

properly used and its a deadly weapon.

i take MG's in every mission i can cause it enables me to hit multiple target easily.

any way, all im saying is that u should use a MG as a MG not as a rifle.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I NEVER use MG's like assault rifles. I've fired only one LMG in real life Valmet M62 LMG firing 7.62mmx39mm and with bipod deployed it was quite accurate but of course much clumsier at around 9-10kg with full 100 round belt so it was very hard to swivel on the enemy at close range. There wasn't forward handgrip so I was constantly assaulted by empty shell casing ejecting below smile.gif

In prone position OFP machine guns should be much more accurate and even less accurate than they are now when firing from knee/standing postion. The bipod should ALWAYS be deployed in OFP machine gun model, it is much faster to set up that way and thin legs arent in the wat at all. Just make it more accurate.

i agree that the bi-pod is something that should be corrected but in the year i was a Mgunner (FN MAG) thats the way i used it. the vibration will just take u off the target.

BTW i still have scars from hot cases that entered my sleeves during firing.

its pretty funny to see some1 get up in the middle of an EX and start dancing......... biggrin.gif

edit: the only time i shot my MAG standing up was while assaulting or during CQB.

They have already addressed this in an earlier patch (humph didn't get it right ,though). So I'm betting they wouldn't look over it again unless you paid them!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scout @ April 17 2002,19:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i agree that the bi-pod is something that should be corrected but in the year i was a Mgunner (FN MAG) thats the way i used it. the vibration will just take u off the target.

BTW i still have scars from hot cases that entered my sleeves during firing.

its pretty funny to see some1 get up in the middle of an EX and start dancing......... biggrin.gif

edit: the only time i shot my MAG standing up was while assaulting or during CQB.<span id='postcolor'>

Heck that is nothing!When my dad was a loader on the M1A1 he said the smoke just sufficates you and the shells burn your legs.Owwww!He also, after driving, loading etc.. the M1A1 for 4 years, he just became a normal soldier and he shot left handed and he got constanly burned by the shells from the M16A1.They gave him a brass deflector to put on the M16A1 shell ejector, but it keeped jamming, so he just lived with getting burned to lol.Also for 14 years he had to live with it but he got use to it. smile.gif

Hmmm im sure the users of the Virtual battlefield system (the version of OFP used to train the military) wouldnt accept the M60 being like this.

I believe by pressing V the bi pod is being used. I can shoot 30 bullets and hit most of them nearby and in the target. Adjust the gun jumping by using your mouse. It's something that calls for a little experience, but when you know how to use it, the MG is awesome simply because you get to pump 30 bullets into one guy's head from 300 meters away.

Nobody wishes Machine-guns turn into Ubereweapons. but:

1)Make deployable bipod OR make it stay deployed all the time

(I dont care if the forward 'legs' sink into ground texture when prone, because it's more unrealistic than that they are not deployed at all).

2)Increase Machine Gun accuracy SLIGHTLY when firing on prone position and decreace accuracy even more when fring from knee/standing position (Who the hell anyway shoots old M60 or PK while standing aiming it like a rifle?) I'd like to see

'shoot-from-hip' animation when firing while standing. On knee positiion you'll at least get some support to your weapon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ April 22 2002,07:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nobody wishes Machine-guns turn into Ubereweapons. but:

1)Make deployable bipod OR make it stay deployed all the time

(I dont care if the forward 'legs' sink into ground texture when prone, because it's more unrealistic than that they are not deployed at all).

2)Increase Machine Gun accuracy SLIGHTLY when firing on prone position and decreace accuracy even more when fring from knee/standing position (Who the hell anyway shoots old M60 or PK while standing aiming it like a rifle?) I'd like to see

'shoot-from-hip' animation when firing while standing. On knee positiion you'll at least get some support to your weapon.<span id='postcolor'>

If i remember right, I was watching some thing on the Marines, i cant really remeber, but they were doing some practicing in the jungle using live ammo and the machine gunner had a M60A3(i cant really remeber)but it has a little handle for your hand in the front of the gun and it just sticks straight down and you actually stand and fire, so your actually firing it like a rifle, standing.

Well, I love the PK, and i'll take any platoon armed with M16s with it. It is thrue, though, that more than 3 or 4 bullets at once and theres a miss. Think what you like, but bullet spraying only happens in movies, or at very close range. A real soldier barely has enough bullets on him to spray for a complete minute, so he uses them sparingly. Also, it's a hand held weapon, it does'nt have the heavy duty cooling of a revolving Gatling gun. Heat is a gun's worst enemy. Overheat can cause serious damage to the bore and could even weld a bullet in, wich will cause the guns to explode like a dogdammend grenade... Not a good proposition. Thrue, the M60 is less accurate than it should be, but when it hits... It hurts.

I saw a program on navy SEALs. They explained how the M60 could be fired without stopping even when the barrel became glowing white in the night!

So if you can only shoot two or three bullets at a time, why not use an m16?

One m60 bullet certainly doesnt kill anyone....an m16 can kill someone in 2 bullets, so why not use an m16 again?

The M60 is also a magnet for enemy troops, start firing it and your position is given away easily.

So im still waiting for a legitamate use for the M60.