Sign in to follow this  
wolffy.au

Cached Units with Vehicle Support - v2.0

Thanks Wolffy - I've just spent some time reading the documentation for MSO, a project that I was pretty much unaware of until now - looks fantastic! Busy night ahead...

JJ

Wolffy.au

Really nice job with this script! Big thanks!Helped me a lot!

Is there a way to make this script work for Vehicle and objects?

Thanks.

Wolffy

For some reason squads are not triggering squads of different sides when within range! Only when i (player) am within range!

Sorry Grillob - I haven't worked on this script for years. There is somehting similar in MSO, but its not really maintained anymore either - we've moved away from caching unfortunately.

So what are you guys using?And its for single player.

Thanks!

Edited by Grillob3

Yes, MSO runs in single player.

Now each of the modules generating AI look after their own caching, as generic caching caused a lot of issues when re-spawning the units and telling them what to do.

There is a Players guide for MSO (https://dev-heaven.net/projects/mso/documents) - have a look through it, see if its what you're after.

Thanks!

I got all setup on MSO, dedicated server and PDB! Its kinda the idea of mission i was making! But way better!

:)

Edited by Grillob3

Hi, Wolffy - Just like to say a big thanks for the effort put in in this script - it's been a staple in every mission I've made since I found it. ANy chance of a port to Arma 3 ? - Lol onlly been playing the alpha for a few days now & everytime I start to build a mission with a shed load of AI I start to miss your script immediately.....

BI have written their own one but I am yet to try it out. One of the MSO devs, Highhead has been looking into it was quite happy with how it operates. I'll see if I can get him to respond to this thread with his findings.

BI have written their own one but I am yet to try it out. One of the MSO devs, Highhead has been looking into it was quite happy with how it operates. I'll see if I can get him to respond to this thread with his findings.

I have tested the caching module with stock BIS enemypop modules and I couldn't be happier. A mission that is completely unplayable becomes somewhat playable with the module. I'm still testing for now.

Edited by zorrobyte

Hi!

Wolffy asked me to share my discoveries in here, and though i have to say use at your own risks, there is really something awsome hidden in the depth of A3. There is a BIS caching procedure integrated for Sites but it is disabled by default (dunno why). I looked at the code, rev engineerd it and modified it for my use. It doesnt throw any errors, nor did i find any downsides (yet). Originally it is only caching units that are spawned by sites but i modified it for all units and I also feed proximity range via variable into the script. During loadtesting and with 320 AI spawned by 20 sites and 3 skirmish dyn spawns i got FPS around 20-24 at max for normal mapstart. After i enabled the caching proc ingame FPS went up to 35+ clientside. Server FPS was also improved and gave me around 40+ FPS for 6 players with over 300 AI units spawned on map.

Take a look at this file:

https://dev-heaven.net/projects/cmb/repository/revisions/master/entry/scripts/A3/unformatted/a3/modules_f/sites/procedures/fpsManager.fsm

Run it by executing it like this:

execFSM "\A3\modules_f\sites\procedures\fpsManager.fsm";

The procedure uses enablesimulation and hideobject for caching mechanism and therefore needs to be executed on all localities to have effect and as said before, for our needs in MSO it had to be modified (since otherwise it would only cache units spawned by BIS sites).

As im working on improving it i am happy for every feedback!

Enjoy

HH

PS: i just saw thats still A2 Forums, i am referring to A3 in my üost, just you know

Edited by raggamafia

@raggamafia - sounds very interesting & positive re:FPS underload - I'm usually v.happy with 250+ AI in Arma 2 & would be great to replicate this)

Couple of questions as a comparision to the CEP version -

The 'sites' you mention - I assume these are the intial spawn positions selected for the groups - is it possible to assign the unit caching to a group with pre defined waypoints (like in CEP) ? one of the things I disliked about 'self managing'/skirish style AI patrols was that I found it difficult to intergrate into a story driven mission.

You mention "

feed(ing) proximity range via variable into the script
" - how does this work ? (sorry haven't a clue how to go about this (which is why I loved CEP & simple setting of trigger range in the init)

Finally (bear with me :) ) - the

procedure uses enablesimulation and hideobject for caching mechanism and therefore needs to be executed on all localities to have effect
- this is one I find most awkward -I currently host for our group (8) via the serve&play option and experience no difficulty with CEP - how would I execute the script accros the other players machines without having to rent a full server ?

Sorry, I'm swimming out of my depth here, how I miss my CEP noob friendly script.... ;)

Sorry to bump this old thread again, but I'm desperate...

Has anyone ever got this working with the final A3 ?

I've tried mucking about with other caching scripts however I've not had much luck finding a script that replicates the way this one works - in particular the way it works with player defined groups & waypoints (rather than with zones/sites etc)(upsmon/Eos don't seem to cater for groups moving in predefined paths etc)(EOS in particular I find tends to spawn the units in the same places each time before they move away) - its make it v.difficult to 'tell the story' the way I'd like, with 'semi' predicable outcomes...

I also liked the way the script cached the group - leaving one unit 'alive'/on patrol which could still be spotted at longer engagement ranges than the trigger area (and spot back too), allowing the eagle eyed/sharp shooters to effectively get the edge/first shot in ... The problem with the zones essentially is that the units don't seem to retain any learnt intel on potential aggressors (whilst that one guy, even left in the distance, would occasionally contine the pursuit till the bitter end.

Any chance at all of a A3 version Woffly ? Pretty please...

link/your site is down. please post a new link as this script is very useful.