Sign in to follow this  
arb

Afghanistan Green Zone 10km Island WIP

Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't it be possible to create some invisible viewblock objects, and arrange them in a grid pattern across the fields, as some kind of solution to the long grass problem? That way, the AI would only see very short distances through the grass, unless standing (and, thereby seeing over the viewblock). Additionally, due to the low density of simple objects it shouldn't have much of a performance hit.

No real idea of whether it would work or not (or even if my solution is viable), but I seem to recall invisible view-block objects being relatively low-cost in terms of frame-rate.

ok, i'll have a look into that.

Anyway, re-textured the grass, green might need adjusting slightly but prefer this to the brown...

4378256543_97d7b1c6b3_o.jpg

4379009066_ee19d83db4_o.jpg

Daaaamn you, you will pull me back to map making with these shots:)

So please Arb i begg you, dont stop posting pics from the map :P

We gona have 2 great map makers working on awesome new islands :yay:

Great Work Arb!!!Looking awesome ur map :D

some more grass.. shorter this time.

4378697555_1d4af7fd23_o.jpg

4378697457_dbdc2b1c4a_o.jpg

4379450898_62f9bf2eb0_o.jpg

I'd definitely say it's too green (i.e. it's just too bright) - but otherwise, the island is looking fantastic :)

It's a land of stark contrasts!

I was just watching reruns of "Ross Kemp in Afghanistan" (Brit TV series where a TV "hardman" goes on tour with a Brit Regiment in Helmund and wets himself a lot) :D

Quite funny in places - but well worth watching for the scenery, the SA-80 instruction briefing, etc, etc, etc...

Anyhow... I was paying attention for a change, since I've been background chatting to arb about this whole grass thing, and I was really struck by the intensity of the "greeenness" of some of the grass... I think it's actually to do with the contrast, since so much of the landscape is a monochrome tan/grey moonscape... the green is confined, like the trees, largely to immediately beside water sources and its hugely noticable... really intensely coloured in comparison...

Then again.... you don't know what sort of saturation and filters the filmmakers were using, do you?.... tricky...

I'm no big fan of Mr Kemp - him being a Sassenach an' all ;), but its a pretty comprehensive series, largely filmed out there on the Front Line - and not with helmetcams either... probably compulsory viewing if you're working on recreating this actual terrain...

Here's a starter link though I'd suggest searching more widely for quality copies if available... This is Primo research material!

Look at the real thing, then copy/fake what you see... that's what I'm doing with my Scotland terrain - though I can just look out of the window - which makes it easier :)

B

I prefer green to the brown so have improved the green, I think this looks better...

4378955105_e659c4f7d9_o.jpg

4379710782_ccaf90c15f_o.jpg

4378954865_2b56e7bf85_o.jpg

Yeah I think the first image looks awesome!

Second

some more grass.. shorter this time.

Sorry man but there's no match... looks like a field for some vegetables , no offence ;)

I still think that no matter the AI advantage (MP too) but that grass seen before was awesome. Really ;)

Also i don't think that green is the leading color in Afghani grass fields except summer...

Edited by caprera

Thats looking good!!!

One of the things I remember thinking was "how can such green healthy grass grow like that on a soil of grey dust"? - cause of water proximity of course... the contrast is enormous...

On the subject of trees - as mentioned before... a little variation would help...

Some trees WILL look quite regular... managed plantings will produce regularly spaced trees all much the same size... for these use maybe a +/- 5 or 10% height variance... for wild stuff maybe go large to +/-25%... depends on the species...

In both cases, though - tick the "random rotation" box for the full +/- 180 degree, and maybe even throw in a wee =/- 1 or 2% on vertical angle too - not all trees manage to grow exactly straight up!

B

Here's a starter link though I'd suggest searching more widely for quality copies if available... This is Primo research material!

Look at the real thing, then copy/fake what you see... that's what I'm doing with my Scotland terrain - though I can just look out of the window - which makes it easier :)

B

Got the Ross Kemp stuff recorded on DVD from when it was on, so will dig it out. also been watching Road Warriors currently showing on ITV1 & ITV4 which has a lot of convoys into Nad Ali which is just south of my island.

All episodes so far of Road Warriors online here

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Some trees WILL look quite regular... managed plantings will produce regularly spaced trees all much the same size... for these use maybe a +/- 5 or 10% height variance... for wild stuff maybe go large to +/-25%... depends on the species...

In both cases, though - tick the "random rotation" box for the full +/- 180 degree, and maybe even throw in a wee =/- 1 or 2% on vertical angle too - not all trees manage to grow exactly straight up!

B

re doing the trees is the next step.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

trees sorted.

4379287589_2b5fe822f7_o.jpg

looks so good ...very good work, and thx for your hard work:bounce3:

Amazing work! I love the new grass color!

Also, in some of those shots the grass seemed too spread apart. Maybe make them closer?

wow i want to sleep and i awake to all this amazing screen shots! this with out a doubt is already my favorite map, and i will propbly use this everyday..the hell with cherno...what ever it is hahaha