Sign in to follow this  
Warin

National pride

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ April 09 2002,03:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The french for example, due to extensive national pride, have implemented laws to protect and foster their unique culture. This is done for music, art a.s.o.

Actually a god idea.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes we have something very close to that in Quebec...and is it a good thing? You should ask the Anglophone Quebeckers who are taken to court by the provincial government for daring to own a store with an English sign, ect.

Good idea? more like fascism...but I'm talking about what goes on in Quebec, I din't know how something like this would be handled in France.

Some quotes relating to this topic (that pretty much sum up how I feel about national pride. And yes, it would have been nice if this hadn't turned into a flame war):

Nationalism is a silly cock crowing on his own dunghill.

Richard Aldington

The love of one's country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?

Pablo Casals

It is not easy to see how the more extreme forms of nationalism can long survive when men have seen the Earth in its true perspective as a single small globe against the stars.

Arthur C. Clarke

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

Eugene V. Debs

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!

Albert Einstein

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.

Albert Einstein

A nation is a society united by a delusion about its ancestry and by common hatred of its neighbours.

William R. Inge

Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles.

George Jean Nathan

Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons.

Bertrand Russell

To me, it seems a dreadful indignity to have a soul controlled by geography.

George Santayana

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.

George Bernard Shaw

It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.

Voltaire

I am a patriotic person. I don't think that you have to hate other nationalities just to be patriotic. I've got absolutely nothing against Germans or Americans or French or whatever, but I happen to like my country the best. It doesn't mean that I think all others are shit, I just happen to like Canada, that's all. It's like preferring Oreo cookies over chocolate chip, I have my tastes smile.gif

If you ask me, some of the people who wrote those quotes are kind of gutless and self-serving. They seem to think that a sense of nationalism is a kind of hate for other people and that all people who feel patriotism are sub-standard and stupid. I think not.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To me, it seems a dreadful indignity to have a soul controlled by geography. <span id='postcolor'>

I would love to see the world. When you are raised in one area all your life and have alot of good memories of it, you will naturally develop a preference for it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.

<span id='postcolor'>

As I said before, I don't think my country is superior to any other.

To eliminate nationalism we would all have to be one country. The idea of a one nation world is kind of absurd. It won't work. Different people have different cultures and different cultures have different laws and customs. If we tried to put everyone together all hell would break loose. There would still be divisions among people. Do you think all Muslims would want to share a country with Jews? or Hindus? Do you think that different people with different ideas of law would enjoy living under one legal system?

Do you guys get my point? So long as there are different types of people there will be different countries and there is nothing wrong with prefering one country over another.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Celine Dion<span id='postcolor'>

GRRRRRRRRR....... mad.gif LOL tounge.gif

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ April 09 2002,04:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you ask me, some of the people who wrote those quotes are kind of gutless and self-serving.<span id='postcolor'>

I think many of those quotes really warn against confusing "Your country" with "Your government". That's the tactic dictatorships use, they make the population believe that the only good thing for the country is whatever is good for the ruling government. There is nothing wrong with loving your country unconditionally, but under no circumnstances should you have to love your government unconditionally.The problem is, often these governments try to convince you that another entire country is your enemy, and then you have patriotism and nationalism gone extreemely bad.  As kids in Cuba, in school we were taught to hate the US. They supposedly were the source of all our problems and wanted to destroy our country. Now in all reality the US wanted the downfall of our government (not going to go into wether that's justifiable or not)...but to us , brainwashed as we were, our country and our government were the same thing.

In light of what ive experienced as described above, I agree with many of those quotes, especially the ones by Einstein and William Inge. If that makes me gutless and self-serving, so be it.

wow...i was out to watch the simpsons and drew carey, and this is result...a possible spam thread turned into political science talk...alright..back to spamming! j/k

AFAI see, current technology and ones thereafter will make world closer together, not geogrphically, but rather informationwise. 100 yrs ago, info about mid-east was largely unavailable to normal joes like us. and even 20yrs ago, trying to find out how other ppl around the globe thought about, and there news was restricted to news media of your geographical constraint. when I finally got some great internet access from my dorm rooms, my first action was to look for other English-speaking news websites. I ended up with news.bbc.co.uk and www.abc.net.au and someother which I can't remember at the moment.

The new flow of information allows global recognition. we know arabs are not the only ones that grow beard. this kinda helps to eliminate bias against other country/nationale. However, recognition is not enough.

What we need is ability to talk to each other without intruding other's rights. It seems like these days it's more crucial to confirm survivial of human race(wtf am i thinking). and as stated above, becoming a global community is important, you see why certain ppl act that way, and so on. diversity helps as long as it's kept nice and peaceful.

on the otherside, there are identity issues. we say 'he's a french', not 'he's a guy from area west of europe that is freaking horny every night'. so we need to define ourselves in certain constraint. and i guess where nationalism comes in is that place.

ppl are either afraid to let go off the identity, and starts to conglomerate around known common factor, such as geographics and gov't.

ok..enough ranting, back to TV for me.. smile.gif

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.... according to Oscar Wilde.

Im dutch ..... OUR CHEESE 0WNZ YUZ . sorry had to get it out of my system biggrin.gif

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

While at its root the willingness to dedicate oneself to an idea or set of ideals greater than oneself seems noble, there are too many people around who would exploit this loyalty and dedication. Who has seen "All Quiet On the Western Front"? the propaganda spewing teacher at the beginning is an example of how patriotic spirit can be twisted around for other purposes. I admire people willing to die for their country. I despise people who manipulate and exploit that willingness.

We are the dutch, Resistance is quite usefull. Please lower your shields and surrender your ships because if you make us fight for it we'll be here for ever! Your biological distinctives will be added to our own and you will get cheese, full medical payed by state and the right to buy softdrugs and not have the police harres you! biggrin.gif

That about sums up how patriotic i am. The netherlands is a nice country to live in with some bad things, but those depend whol you are ..... but atleast its peacefull here, noone is going to blow up the bus your in.

To me its no doubt there will be a united global community in the long run (talking centuries). I will make an, not in anyway special, example of Sweden; a geographical area where I live without being proud of it.

1. Before the nation Sweden was born there was regional divisions and conflicts. Probably the views on the different regions had much in common with todays global views; like 'those bastards only deserve to die, and no we will never be able to live in peace with them'. Well obviously they could. I think its there lies much in what RalphWiggum said earlier - tecnhology helps us to expand our views. In the mideval time people might have known as much about an area 100 km away as we today know about an area on the other side of planet Tellus. Humans are not by nature hostile to each other, and will eventually choose to live together, when we see that our differances dont mean nothing. Damn, in our time mankind is still very primitive, we do not need a common enemy to unite us...

2. Areas known for violence does change in time. The Scandinavian countries have as many of you know a bloody history. Once Sweden was amongst the most military succesful nations in Europe. And before that we had the not so peaceful vikings. Now Scandinavia is known for a peaceful nature, and Sweden has not been to war for soon 200 years (nothing to be proud of indeed, especially since we let down Norway in WW 2). Why it has become like this is not easy to explain, its just human nature. There is a need for a nation to develop a national identity, just like humans develop identity. Some do it by violence, some not - but evetually we calm down and becomes open to others, probably when we see through the illusion of differances...

Seeing how i dont believe in god saying "God bless the kingdom of the Netherlands" is the last thing u will hear me say ..... besides it sounds stupid!

If I`d emmigrate from Germany I`d probably go to New Zealand. Because of the great landscape, the possibility to do all kinds of fun sports and because Tolkien`s Shire is in New Zealand tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ April 11 2002,11:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If I`d emmigrate from Germany I`d probably go to New Zealand. Because of the great landscape, the possibility to do all kinds of fun sports and because Tolkien`s Shire is in New Zealand   tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Not just its in New Zealand

It is also about 20 km from where I live tounge.gif

I am not patriotic. I see no need to be. To be honest I don't love any nation. I used to like Germany, I used to like America (only god knows why) even tho I have never been to these places. I used to like Britain (its the only other place I have been to) and I liked Russia too. I don't belong to any nation, I don't think of myself as Russian or American or British or anything.

And before any of you say anything about it I might change my signature.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gorgi Knootewoot @ April 11 2002,11:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If I`d emmigrate from Holland, I`d probably go to New Zealand. Because i'd hope to run into Xena  tounge.gif

lucyportrait.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

and she would beat the shit out of you biggrin.gif

anyone ever read "man without a country"

good read