Sign in to follow this  
Espectro (DayZ)

M82a1 heavy sniper riffle (barret)

Ok. i didn't make this .. but i've made another barret (anyone remember which one smile.gif and first some answers to peoples comment.

Re. M82 vs M2. The M2 is not as accurate as a M82 and should not be, nor should it be as deadly. The M2 gun is balanced for full auto fire spraying your target, and if you have any damage higher than say 20, you will start taking out T80's just due to it's shere ammount of bullets it flings around. A single accurate .50 caliber round however, should be a lot higher. This to depict that the damage from a .50 is pretty devastating. Remember that we are NOT dealing with real life here, it's a game and has a simulation of damage, ballistics, kinetics. So some weapons have to be adjusted to be realistic in aspect to all other weapons. And that brings us to the next point.

Re: Explosive bullets.

The M82 FlipeR has released does NOT have explosive bullets. Let me repeat that.. NOT explosive.. then why does it blow up when you hit something? That is due to the sheer ammount of damage it does. The Damage rating is on the M82 ammo is 100. Compare that to a LAW that does 500, and to the 12_7 ammo that does 13 in damage. Imho, a .50 sniper round should definately do more than 13 in damage since we know the M2 is downbalanced due to the ammount of lead it flings around. but 1/5 th of a LAW?. Personally i've found a damage of 35-50 to be pretty good. It takes out all soft targets you shoot it at, and penetrates windshields with lethal force on all vehicles you shoot it at. But it still wont take out a vehicle with one shot. Which brings us to the next issue.

"In REAL life i can take out a Jeep with 1 shot, but not penetrate MBT armour" (and lets not start that debate here btw, the "we need a .50" thread is the longest thread on this forum, go there smile.gif

I am of the oppinion that a sniper .50 in OFP.. should NOT necessarily take down a vehicle in one shot. Why? Since this is a GAME, and we cannot mimick how a .50 would destroy say an engine block. The cars gets the benefit of this basically since IF we made it strong enough to take out a Jeep, we would also make it strong enough to take out a BMP or even T80 in a few shots. So instead of making pure anti-material rifles in a game engine that does not permit that, i personally think we should opt for the second best. Strong, long range sniper rifles.

For those who want a .50 that blows away a bmp with half a miss, there are a few of them out there smile.gif

Well.. this turned into quite a rant, sorry about that =) These are my personal oppinions, and i am not enforcing anything to anyone. Just stating my views of the matter.

[FILO]HuBBa

Horrdio!

Some points to the real life weapons:

A .50 Sniper rifle is very accurate.

You can hit man size targets at about 1500m.

Thats the reason why we use ´em.

its not an antimaterial rifle...its sometimes used as one but it isnt.

A heavier bullet wont be affected by wind etc that much like a 7.62 bullet.

Also the Vo is higher,which also leads to higher accuracy

The barrel is heavier thats another point why it is more accurate than a 7.62 sniper rifle.

Penetration is very good...one can kill for example the driver of a APC with it through armor,or shot tracks of tanks.

Of course it goes through motor blocks as well.

The M2 is too inaccurate in the game.

in fact the M2 is a very accuarate weapon too (it got single fire mode in real and was used as "sniper rifle" before the MacMillan and Barret arrived).

the game:

I am not sure if the game engine allows picking off single targets inside a APC.

There must be some connection between hit location,crew pos,damage and wounding.

I got a MG3 (w/o model :-( ) and you can kill the driver of a M113 with it through armor although the M113 doesnt blow up.

no conclusion,no poesie, am sorry,just some facts

greetz

[76]Chavez

Well...aside from all the technical duscussion here, I'm having fun with this thing. I discovered you can destroy a BRDM in two shots, sink a gunboat or just plain reach out and touch someone from waaaay far away.

It's great for the type of sniper mission where you (the sniper) is tasked with covering an attack by other units. You can stand off and hammer away all day and no one with an AK is going to touch you. Plus, at long ranges hitting the target is a real challenge.

Great add-on!

biggrin.gif great addon

but one thing what i miss here......is that i can shoot bmp driver inside tank (throught armor) ....now it isnt possible sad.gif

well!! maybe we see advenced damage model in OPF 2 tounge.gif

thats only thing i really miss in opf

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dark_Soldier @ April 09 2002,22:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Half of the passengers were drunken after a little trip in a bavarian river.<span id='postcolor'>

wow! a river of alcohol in Germany? I must go there biggrin.gif

btw, is it actually allowed to *own* a Barret inside the United States? Since it isn't full auto (no 1934 NFA violation), nor does it have a sawed-off barrel (again no NFA violation, or does it has exorbitant clipsizes (no violation of Brady Bill), i'd think so at first, but I can imagine the average gun store doesn't have it in stock and the cops wouldn't like you having an AP rifle able to fire accurately for like a mile.

If so, what would it cost then?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkSoul @ April 10 2002,18:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but one thing what i miss here......is that i can shoot bmp driver inside tank (throught armor) ....now it isnt possible sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Last night I made a mission - Me with the Barret Vs. a BMP.

I started off by disabling it's turret as it began tracking me...took me 4-5 shots and the turret was black....good. I ran towards it and then the BMP started driving away. 3 more shots to the body of it and it stopped....so I walked up to it and was surprized to find I had the option of getting in...yep, I had killed the whole crew. I had expected to kill the gunner and maybe the commander because of their positions in the turret, but the driver was a surprize. BTW it took 12 shots to destroy completely.

Ah and my overall impression of this rifle....great work! biggrin.gif

Actually the commander of the BMP doesn't sit in the turret. In reality the commander would sit in the turret of a BMP-2, but this is not the case in Flaspoint.

Jubs

Yes, it is legal to buy and own a Barrett in the US, though it can be hard to find ammo for it. Check out Barrett's homepage (www.barrettrifles.com) for info on all three Barrett rifles and purchasing them.

And someone above said that the Barrett isn't an anti-materiel rifle... which doesn't explain why the USMC refers to it as such...

RDF

It is legal to buy Barret's in USA AFAIK, but if you buy significant quantities you will draw the attention of the ATF and FBI. I beleieve this happpened with some extremist/survivalist group a few years ago (can't remember the exact details, they were called something like the "free men"?). They were stockpiling weapons, but what grabbed the authorities attention was the .50 cals.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">btw, is it actually allowed to *own* a Barret inside the United States? <span id='postcolor'>

Pefectly legal. An 18 year old can buy one of these but not a handgun, go figure. I was in a gun shop a couple months ago, and a dude was picking up his brand new Barret M82. Ran him about $8,000 U.S. all said and done. The M99 single shot is the cheapest, it runs about 5-6 grand U.S. Armalite also makes a light fifty called the AR-50.

Btw, new Barret addon worked great! Best so far.

According to a post at OFPEC, by FliPer, his addon M82 ammo is modelled as APHE-I (Armor Piercing High Explosive - Incindiery). Whether or not a .50Cal APHE-I exists or not, I don't know. But this explains why he gave it such a high damage rating.

there are NO HE bullets in calibers lower then 20 mm.

it would reduce drasticly penetraion while the power of the explosion would be less then a hand granade

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ April 11 2002,03:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">btw, is it actually allowed to *own* a Barret inside the United States? <span id='postcolor'>

Pefectly legal. An 18 year old can buy one of these but not a handgun, go figure. I was in a gun shop a couple months ago, and a dude was picking up his brand new Barret M82. Ran him about $8,000 U.S. all said and done. The M99 single shot is the cheapest, it runs about 5-6 grand U.S. Armalite also makes a light fifty called the AR-50.  

Btw, new Barret addon worked great! Best so far.<span id='postcolor'>

Why no handguns? If it's because of the concealment, well you'd need a CCW anyway, and you can also conceal a SMG.

I even heard residents of MI can own handguns from the age of TWELVE, weird huh

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scout @ April 12 2002,01:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">there are NO HE bullets in calibers lower then 20 mm.<span id='postcolor'>

That's what I thought too, I read somewhere that a 20mm round was the smallest round that could carry a useful payload.

I think what Fliper means is a .50cal as armor piercing w/ phosphor tip...

It doesnt explode but burns very hot.

Having used the damn rifle once or twice on a range I know what its like, if you fire it standing up, you will be thrown back about 100m, i saw a dummy have that done to it. It also it the longest killing rifle with the longest recorded kill of around 1800m*wow*. It is designed to take out crew in a tank without anyone else noticing, apart from the flash/noise of the fire. The Muzzle adapter is compulsary as otherwise it would break you shoulder when you fire it. it should be able to stop a tank straigt by hitting it in the engin, but OFP doesn't moddle this so that is a bummer.

I am going to D/L it now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Epita @ April 12 2002,20:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Having used the damn rifle once or twice on a range I know what its like, if you fire it standing up, you will be thrown back about 100m, i saw a dummy have that done to it.  It also it the longest killing rifle with the longest recorded kill of around 1800m*wow*.  It is designed to take out crew in a tank without anyone else noticing, apart from the flash/noise of the fire.  The Muzzle adapter is compulsary as otherwise it would break you shoulder when you fire it.  it should be able to stop a tank straigt by hitting it in the engin, but OFP doesn't moddle this so that is a bummer.

I am going to D/L it now.<span id='postcolor'>

Oh god here we go again, the whole "you cant take down an MBT with a 50" debate again.

gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

*frothing from the corners of his mouth*

no i wont repeat myself! go back couple of pages and read carefuly!!!!!

No!!!!!

Not this argument again!!!!

Yes, they do make Armor Piercing Incindiary rounds in .50 cal. No, they are not the same as HE rounds. I've seen an API round go through the rear hatch of a BMP, but an MBT? no way!

Tihi.. soon this post will catch up with the "We need a .50" discussion which afaik is the largest thread on the forum smile.gif

Some people never learn biggrin.gif

[FILO] HuBBa

Because every one wants to fiddle around with you aparently barret:) they all just love you .... is that such a bad thing? biggrin.gif