Sign in to follow this  
Longinius

Mid east

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Even if she was American, which i gladly appreciate the killing of, you still cannot even think to try and justify that.

<span id='postcolor'>

A) For an Englishman, your grammar needs work.

and B) wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1948 - South Korean Soldiers under US command massacre up to 60,000 peasants on Cheau Island who had created there own government after WWII.

<span id='postcolor'>

I would just love to see a source for this.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 19 2003,01:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If this was done anywhere else in the ME there would be uproar and the cruise missiles would be flying.<span id='postcolor'>

Guess again.

Just less than 2 weeks ago, 2 US citizens were blown to pieces on a bus in Haifa.

Much less noise was made then. There was no uproar and no missiles launched.

Before that there were dozens of US citizens killed by Palestinian terrorists.

News to you? If it is, I'm not surprised.

wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 19 2003,20wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1948 - South Korean Soldiers under US command massacre up to 60,000 peasants on Cheau Island who had created there own government after WWII.

<span id='postcolor'>

I would just love to see a source for this.<span id='postcolor'>

"BlowBack" by Chalmers Johnson - Time Warner Press. Page 102.

Also:

Korea Web Weekly http://www.kimsoft.com/1997/cheju.htm

Sorry. I got the name of the Island Wrong.

wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 19 2003,13:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 19 2003,01:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If this was done anywhere else in the ME there would be uproar and the cruise missiles would be flying.<span id='postcolor'>

Guess again.

Just less than 2 weeks ago, 2 US citizens were blown to pieces on a bus in Haifa.

News to you? If it is, I'm not surprised.<span id='postcolor'>

Where did you see that they where 2 US citizens if i may ask.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 19 2003,06:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just less than 2 weeks ago, 2 US citizens were blown to pieces on a bus in Haifa.

Much less noise was made then. There was no uproar and no missiles launched.<span id='postcolor'>

Was the bomb made in the USA and paid for by US taxpayers?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Mar. 19 2003,19:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 19 2003,06:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just less than 2 weeks ago, 2 US citizens were blown to pieces on a bus in Haifa.

Much less noise was made then. There was no uproar and no missiles launched.<span id='postcolor'>

Was the bomb made in the USA and paid for by US taxpayers?<span id='postcolor'>

LOL biggrin.gif

Sorry but that is funny

In a week's time, the woman will only be an afterthought for most people outside the mid east (except for Washington state, her home state). With the Iraq war, her death and the protest/memorial services that follow will be reduced to less than 100 words in most newspapers.

Remember Mother Teresa? Now that's a legacy. This Corry person is just another speed bump/pothole on the long road of death and destruction.

-=Die Alive=-

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will pay most of the cost to rebuild Iraq if it sticks to its plans to set up a joint military-civilian occupation run solely by Americans and Iraqi collaborators."

Glad to see this isnt about creating a puppet state after all... And I am sure we will see companies from many, maaany different nations drilling for oil when the war is done. Those countries being the US, the US and...hmm...the US.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ Mar. 25 2003,22:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And I am sure we will see companies from many, maaany different nations drilling for oil when the war is done. Those countries being the US, the US and...hmm...the US.<span id='postcolor'>

You forgot the UK. biggrin.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2886975.stm

Jack Straw:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

He told the BBC that he himself had been guilty of double standards "to a degree" but he promised that a new international peace plan, the so-called "roadmap", was close to realisation.

It only depended on a new Palestinian cabinet being sworn in and the Palestinian parliament giving its approval, he said.

Mr Straw said he understood concern in the Arab world about what he called "injustice against the Palestinians".

"There is a real concern too that the West has been guilty of double standards," Mr Straw said, "on the one hand saying the United Nations Security Council resolutions on Iraq must be implemented, on the other hand, sometimes appearing rather quixotic over the implementation of resolutions about Israel and Palestine."

<span id='postcolor'>

Still supportive of the American-British rearrangement of the Mid East Avon?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 26 2003,08:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Still supportive of the American-British rearrangement of the Mid East Avon?<span id='postcolor'>

Never was.

Quite familiar with the "Road Map". We call it "Oslo Lite". Same garbage.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bogo @ Mar. 19 2003,16:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 19 2003,13:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 19 2003,01:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If this was done anywhere else in the ME there would be uproar and the cruise missiles would be flying.<span id='postcolor'>

Guess again.

Where did you see that they where 2 US citizens if i may ask.<span id='postcolor'>

I am still waiting Avon

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bogo @ Mar. 26 2003,17:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bogo @ Mar. 19 2003,16:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 19 2003,13:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 19 2003,01:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If this was done anywhere else in the ME there would be uproar and the cruise missiles would be flying.<span id='postcolor'>

Guess again.

Where did you see that they where 2 US citizens if i may ask.<span id='postcolor'>

I am still waiting Avon<span id='postcolor'>

My mistake! 3 US citizens.

Here's one listed in the bus incident plus two others after that:

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=40151

I'm pretty sure another victim from the Haifa bombing, who succumbed to his/her injuries aftrewards, was also a US citizen. If so, that would be 4.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 26 2003,08:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 26 2003,08:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Still supportive of the American-British rearrangement of the Mid East Avon?<span id='postcolor'>

Never was.

Quite familiar with the "Road Map". We call it "Oslo Lite". Same garbage.<span id='postcolor'>

Except for this time you won't be asked to implement it but will be told to do so. Besides Iraq I think Israel will be the one hurt most in the end by this war. USA and Britain want to compensate for the bad rep they are getting now in the Arab world, and you can take a guess who will pay with it's territory for that.. I'll give you a hint: USA won't be donating Hawaii to the Palestinians.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 26 2003,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Except for this time you won't be asked to implement it but will be told to do so.<span id='postcolor'>

But we won't.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Besides Iraq I think Israel will be the one hurt most in the end by this war.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">USA and Britain want to compensate for the bad rep they are getting now in the Arab world, and you can take a guess who will pay with it's territory for that.. I'll give you a hint: USA won't be donating Hawaii to the Palestinians.<span id='postcolor'>

Peurto Rico? tounge.gifsmile.gifconfused.gifsad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 26 2003,16:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 26 2003,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Except for this time you won't be asked to implement it but will be told to do so.<span id='postcolor'>

But we won't.<span id='postcolor'>

According to Jack Straw you will. They are going to push for that you respect the UN resolutions drawn against you. Don't count on any vetoes from USA since they are the ones behind it. Bush has clearly stated that by 2005 there should be an independent Palestinian state, no matter how much Israel complains.

So if you don't follow their instructions, you will have UN sanctions directed against you plus USA will most likely stop the military aid that you so much need to survive.

It's very simple, you won't have any choice, just like Iraq didn't have any choice to cooperate with the UN inspectors.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 26 2003,17:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 26 2003,16:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 26 2003,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Except for this time you won't be asked to implement it but will be told to do so.<span id='postcolor'>

But we won't.<span id='postcolor'>

According to Jack Straw you will. They are going to push for that you respect the UN resolutions drawn against you. Don't count on any vetoes from USA since they are the ones behind it. Bush has clearly stated that by 2005 there should be an independent Palestinian state, no matter how much Israel complains.

So if you don't follow their instructions, you will have UN sanctions directed against you plus USA will most likely stop the military aid that you so much need to survive.

It's very simple, you won't have any choice, just like Iraq didn't have any choice to cooperate with the UN inspectors.<span id='postcolor'>

Indeed we will be between a rock and a hard place. Sharon will say go for it, with some cosmetic modifications but there will be strong opposition from within his own party, whose platform Sharon himslef doesn't abide by.

I don't think Isreal should have to do that. Plus, if they don't what can we do about it?

Isreal already has such little land anyways compared to all the arab countries surrounding it.

Anyways, let this thread die. It's been here too long now. This is an old thread.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyways, let this thread die. It's been here too long now. This is an old thread.<span id='postcolor'>

If you don't like it, don't post in it.

This thread has lots of useful information, regarding history, pro's and con's, peoples viewpoints, and discussions. I regulary point people to this thread to get an insight into the mess the Middle East is in.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This thread has lots of useful information, regarding history, pro's and con's, peoples viewpoints, and discussions.<span id='postcolor'>

Absolutely. I´m enjoying the read here very much. You can learn a lot from this.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't think Isreal should have to do that. Plus, if they don't what can we do about it?

Isreal already has such little land anyways compared to all the arab countries surrounding it.

<span id='postcolor'>

i'm agree.

And more important they don’t have any oil… that’s why they can ignore UN resolution 242 for last 30 years.

Saddam only ignore it for 12 years. But hey, it just a numbers after all...

BTW Congratulation for Cheney for his first family business contract in Iraq after/in “war not about oilâ€

Jinef-"Even if she was American, which i gladly appreciate the killing of, you still cannot even think to try and justify that."

Hmmm....

'Even if she was Palestinean, which i gladly appreciate the killing of,'

'Even if she was Israeli, which i gladly appreciate the killing of,'

'Even if she was German, which i gladly appreciate the killing of,'

nope. It looks pretty prejudiced and forum rule breaking no matter which country it is.

---------------------------

Anyway seeing as the title of this thread is 'middle east' i would like to broach the subject of democracy in the middle east. Or lack of. Israel is something like a democracy (about as much as most western countries are) which is something i think it can be proud of. Even if as many here would suggest (with some cause in my opinion) it has plenty of things it cant be so proud of.

Does anyone think that western governments (notably the USA) are really commited to pushing greater democracy through in the arab middle east even if that means opening the way to governments that will very likely be anti-western (notably the USA) and anti-Israeli?

In fact the post war Iraq might be a perfect test. I think some members of TBA may have high ideals about spreading democracy and the american way in the middle east (makes it sound like a disease) but its questionable in the extreme whether the reality will even begin to live up to their dreams.

Alternativly all the neoconservatives might be just typical politicians exploiting key words to justify anything or any action with the promise that it will increase the yield of

'freedom' and 'democracy' in the region. In that case it would indeed be that their aim to keep dictatorships in power, keep the oil flowing keep the troops in the region etc

In that case what hope is there for governments emerging more open and more representative in the middle east?

Europe doesnt seem to quite have the power yet. It just

doesnt seem able to do all that much at the moment in terms of real influence even assuming organisations such as the EU really want to increase the level of democracy (even if its harmful to their interests).

Perhaps that will change in the wake of current events in Iraq

as europe may become more acceptable to arab governments

as an ally than the USA who knows?

But i really think this is essential and central to issues such as peace in the middle east and international terrorism, not to mention whether the west is serious about what it preaches.

As long as inhabitants of the middle east (and any under dictatorial governments) feel alienated from and repressed by their own government they are bound to seek empowerment by means less acceptable than political debate.

Then again if greater democracy in the middle east will mean the imposement of radical islam and policies probably harmful to the west then do i (or you) really want it?

Why doesn't the USA allow Israel to participate in the invasion of Iraq?  Why does the USA have to go as far as Australia to find combat allies when one of the world's best equipped and trained armies stands ready and willing to join them just a few hundred kms away?

Besides, during Saddam Hussein's reign, Iraq has only attacked one free democracy:  Israel  (...Unless someone actually regards Iran, Kuwait or Saudi Arabia as free democracies.)  If Iraq had somehow launched 39 Scud missiles into the UK, in 1991, I could hardly imagine Bush begging Blair not to get involved in today's Operation Iraqi Freedom, while welcoming Australia's participation.

It really doesn't make much sense.  confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Mar. 30 2003,07:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why doesn't the USA allow Israel to participate in the invasion of Iraq?<span id='postcolor'>

Because Kuwait said they would close their duty-free shop at the airport to everyone if we came.