Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

31st Normandy mod for ArmA2: WW2

I love this mod so far. I only have 3 "issues" with it

#1 - The organization of the units is all over the place, I played around with the mod for about an hour & I don't think i've even seen all the vehicles yet. Is it possible to create your own section? Or maybe a subsection under empty?

#2 - The old Sherman really needs to be scrapped, the knew ones looks fantastic so there shouldn't be much of a problem if the old one is removed should there?

#3 - The textures on alot of the vehicles could use improvement.

*P.S. - Is the DUKW supposed to be completely white in this beta? I also see about 4 tanks with white treads. I'm not sure if these are because those parts are WIP or if my download screwed up, I ask because previous people with this issue were told their download was messed up, while mine had no issues.*

Were currently organizing the mod by faction, so basically you would find everything German under Opfor>WW2 Germany(faction)>"class">unit.

All factions for all countries can be found in aqu_ww2flags.pbo

All countries will be listed. The static non crewed and empty items we will work on organizing later. They may be a little more difficult to find. There is a lot of content to this mod.

The old sherman although as crappy as it looks without any rvmats pleases some, so we will keep those older items around for those that want them. It's up to the mission makers to provide mission content using the newer shermans. IF or when I get around to a warfare, domination, or any other missions I PROMISE I will use the newer tanks troc has provided us. His work is awesome!

Aeneas2020 has joined our mod prior to the release. He will be heading up the major retexturing job. He is a community known expert with textures. His work is featured on Armaholic. He does awesome work. If you are familar with the Game Red Orchestra, then you will know his work: http://www.darkesthourgame.com/ He is a professional and we are proud to have him coming on board with us. So have no fear as far as textures are concerned. And who knows, maybe that crappy old sherman I brought forward from ArmA1 just might be a gem in the rough later on. He's working up all the infantry right now.

You may have noticed we released a few WIP vehicles. Actually a lot of vehicles are still WIP because they all need improvements in various aspects. But some vehicles like the DUKW and HE-111 are not textured. They will be soon.

Like I've stated as far back as 2008 when this whole idea of bringing WW2 to ArmA and ArmA2 began, we are in the business of giving to the community. We give what we have with what little time we can and we always strive to improve. It's not a quality contest with like mods. We hope all WW2 type mods can come together. The open invitation always has existed from day one. But as far as improving our own work. Were obviously getting better.

Just a side note. Pacific theater is will come after this, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Thank you B17...adding to the first page of the thread.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Those lines caught my eye. We are actually going to be able to attack a german battleship from the air? Also is it drivable? My god man... This is all too much for me. *Heart Attack*

Yes you can drive it. And some of the "static weapons" can move on their own whether you tell ai to move or you move them yourself. :)

Edited by Rip31st

Aeneas2020 has joined our mod prior to the release.

That is great news.

Congratulations on your (pre-)release by the way, it is somehow refreshing to see an actual beta (i.e. with known rather than as yet undiscovered work-to-do) opened up to the public. For the most part people seem able to accept it for that and appreciate the opportunity to begin working with it sooner rather than later.

That is great news.

Congratulations on your (pre-)release by the way, it is somehow refreshing to see an actual beta (i.e. with known rather than as yet undiscovered work-to-do) opened up to the public. For the most part people seem able to accept it for that and appreciate the opportunity to begin working with it sooner rather than later.

Well we just wanted to get it out there off our hard drives rather then collecting dust so the public could have it.

I know, thats why I said for balancing reasons, typically in games the schreck is more expensive in points or whatever cos of the range. Regardless, should not take 2 rockets to take out an open-topped light halftrack from the side

Actually, shaped charge AT weapons is not very effective against thin skinned vehicles. They are designed to penetrate armor, and much of their effect comes from shrapnel created by pieces from the armor when they hit. So, do not assume that they can easily knock out halftracks with one hit just because they have thin armor.

Many great things in this mod pack :)

I have all ready been killede alot of diffrent ways, in missions I made hehe.

Realy hope we could get a domination mp "mission".

Would make my day hehe.

Keep it up :)

Even though this isn't compatable with ACE, I haven't had many problems using this mod with ACE. Neither of them change each other or make one majorly different do they?

ACE makes major changes to ballistics, use it and it will ruin the mod as weapons will not shoot straight and rockets go straight into the ground. Count me as a config volunteer but I can't go at it alone so any other ACE fans that want to help make this compatible?

One of the things we wanted to achieve is balance, which we are working on.

I see that, and it is also the job of mission makers to take what there is and balance it in the mission. You will see that once I upload the AAS map I have been working on (probably later tonight) where the 101st have the advantage of mortars and howitzers and instead the Germans have a Stug and armed halftracks. Seeing as only the Russians and Germans have any worthwhile armour so far, I will be making a Kursk type PvP match, probably also for upload tonight. Will hopefully be hosted on both the 1st ID and 10th SFG servers by the end of the week.

DUKW and some some other have lot of white only because they are untextured in 0.99 version. Those parts which are not white are textured only because those were borrowed from CCKW (DUKW was based on CCKW).

Battleships...Try a plane and see if you can hurt it :whistle:

Hollow charge weapons...The usual problem with these was that even they did punch through the armor, that didn't necessarily cause destruction of the vehicle. This ment that if you could drive the vehicle back you just plugged the hole and cleaned the mess. On the other hand if it hit anything volatile it could go up in flames. Other types of ammo could leave the vehicle in operation condition too even if they penetrated the armor. If it penetrated the armor the biggest chance for an explosion was with an AP round with a HE charge I think (not counting a normal HE charge). Haltracks rarely carried more than MG bullets, so if you really wanted to kill the vehicle, shooting tracks or engine was a good idea and even a normal HE could do it.

Balancing:

I'm against setting values unrealealisticly for just balancing. We don't have to balance Panzerfaust with Panzerschreck. They have realistic penetration and range, that's it. If you want to balance something, you can set weapon and unit availability in missions.

Ballistics:

I have put effort that stuff should fly like in real life (mostly what comes to range).

Balancing:

I'm against setting values unrealealisticly for just balancing. We don't have to balance Panzerfaust with Panzerschreck. They have realistic penetration and range, that's it. If you want to balance something, you can set weapon and unit availability in missions.

Ballistics:

I have put effort that stuff should fly like in real life (mostly what comes to range).

I agree with you whole heartedly. Combat is not about even sides playing chicken (that ended with the outbreak of the first world war). Combat is knowing how and when to hit an opponent even if they have fire superiority. Strategy evolved from where to position to what to send against whom and how and when. Makes more variables and a lot of excitement. I think the ballistics aren't bad with the mod currently.

Looks like we might add a couple more members to our mod team. In the works - One person that wants to work on organizing the configs into factions and the other is an experienced 3d artist.

Be advised guys I've noticed it doing wonky things, possibly with other mods.

For example, the M136 carried by a regular USMC guy now has unlimited rockets. I suspect this has something to do with ACE.

Be advised guys I've noticed it doing wonky things, possibly with other mods.

For example, the M136 carried by a regular USMC guy now has unlimited rockets. I suspect this has something to do with ACE.

Lol well there is absolutely no reason why you would need any modern equipement available in this. And yes it seems it does not work well with ACE, I found out the hard way, or CBA, or GL4, so just run this mod alone or with FX packs and it will work at its best.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

DUKW and some some other have lot of white only because they are untextured in 0.99 version. Those parts which are not white are textured only because those were borrowed from CCKW (DUKW was based on CCKW).

Balancing:

Ballistics:

I also agree completely, thats why I feel all units and equipment should be realistic and it is up to the mission maker to balance it, if fairness is even wanted at all. Bear in mind the arma engine however, it does not care about the content of the vehicle, no holes are punched and all that matters is that the maximum potential damage that the weapon can do in rl is the damage that is represented in game, as this is then reduced depending on where you hit the vehicle. I appreciate though that if a single rocket were able to completely destroy the SdKfz then it wouldnt be any prefferable to say, a kubelwagen, in MP at least. At the very least it should cause critical damage to where the people inside have the chance to bail before it burns/explodes.

Lol well there is absolutely no reason why you would need any modern equipement available in this. And yes it seems it does not work well with ACE, I found out the hard way, or CBA, or GL4, so just run this mod alone or with FX packs and it will work at its best.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

I also agree completely, thats why I feel all units and equipment should be realistic and it is up to the mission maker to balance it, if fairness is even wanted at all. Bear in mind the arma engine however, it does not care about the content of the vehicle, no holes are punched and all that matters is that the maximum potential damage that the weapon can do in rl is the damage that is represented in game, as this is then reduced depending on where you hit the vehicle. I appreciate though that if a single rocket were able to completely destroy the SdKfz then it wouldnt be any prefferable to say, a kubelwagen, in MP at least. At the very least it should cause critical damage to where the people inside have the chance to bail before it burns/explodes.

We snuck in a bonus pack to the mod. Modern era soviet union troops. They are miss classed in the mod and will be taken care of soon with a patch. But they are there.

I love this mod. Got the chance to try out a small armor enagement last night. I love those new shermans. Even though they blew my ass, and the asses of my 1st squad, into oblivion. AI gunner couldn't find the tank (hidden in high cover/between buildings) and hit him fast enough. :D

The "D-Day" Skytrain (I think that's it) looks good. I am just curious if your planning on adding a door, and maybe making the textures a bit better. Something like the ones seen on Band of Brothers would be good imho.

(Just my opinion. It looks good now, that's only a suggestion to make it a bit better)

I love this mod. Got the chance to try out a small armor enagement last night. I love those new shermans. Even though they blew my ass, and the asses of my 1st squad, into oblivion. AI gunner couldn't find the tank (hidden in high cover/between buildings) and hit him fast enough. :D

The "D-Day" Skytrain (I think that's it) looks good. I am just curious if your planning on adding a door, and maybe making the textures a bit better. Something like the ones seen on Band of Brothers would be good imho.

(Just my opinion. It looks good now, that's only a suggestion to make it a bit better)

A toggleable green and red light too to signal when to jump ;D

Yes textures will increase in quality simply with the fact that Aeneas is in the mod group now. He has his hands full. But yes their will be improvements there.

3/9/10 UPDATE: There is a new video section along with a list of missions that are compatible for this mod on the very first page of this thread. Always keep an eye open on it.

Here is a new video that will be posted on the first page of this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28uiJoN7Guk&feature=player_embedded

Edited by Rip31st

Working on the tanks and weapons to get out of the bugs.

Also adding some new stuff among those a little more allied armor.

Holy crap... I went through all of the armor in the mod. Your amazing man. Simply amazing.

Your tank pack and german infantry are very good and give the mod much better quality. Could you add the SS crew as well? In addition, also is interested if you would also convert your nice Jagerpanther collection into the Mod?

Wha? nobody loves my jagdpanther? :)

Does anybody else have performace problems with the infantry units?

The VILAS units for both sides seem pretty good and I can maintain 40-60 fps like normal (tested vanilla ArmA BLUFORvsOPFOR units for comparison).

But the others, say the 101st airborne units and the 29th infantry units (for example) kill my PC, I'm getting 15-25 fps on average.

(Tested with 2 squads on each side, in combat, on the Normandy island.)

Kind of sucks because those units are the ones I want to use, d-day units etc.

Holy crap... I went through all of the armor in the mod. Your amazing man. Simply amazing.

I think that the tanks in the beta is about 50% of what i have on my harddrive.

It represent what i have had time to convert up to now, so there is alot to be done.

Among all others the jagdpanthers and tiger2.

Are there any early Pz. III versions (e.g. Ausf. E) on you hard drive, by any chance? I know they are quite out of Normandy's timeframe, but still... a man may dream :)

I love the Russian armor btw! Your work?

D.