Sign in to follow this  
Monsada

UPSMON - Urban Patrol Script Mon

Would be nice if in the "nofollow" command within UPSMON...that it would mean AI guys would never (even in a fight) leave their zone. Any way to have that happen? Make a "hardnofollow" command? Would really help when trying to use UPSMON for security Ops.

That would be nice to have, but my guess (based on some old testing I've done) is that it wouldn't be all that simple to implement. Currently UPSMON seems to keep the leader in the zone, but in combat the leader will order his soldiers to engage known enemies which will make them go out of the zone (but leader stays in). Might need to individually control each soldier with UPSMON to get this fixed, which may or may not be feasible?

That would be nice to have, but my guess (based on some old testing I've done) is that it wouldn't be all that simple to implement. Currently UPSMON seems to keep the leader in the zone, but in combat the leader will order his soldiers to engage known enemies which will make them go out of the zone (but leader stays in). Might need to individually control each soldier with UPSMON to get this fixed, which may or may not be feasible?

Thanks for the info - Huh, I wonder if a better option for security would be to just create 6 individual (1 man) groups. Give each the UPSMON "no follow" order within their INIT:

Perhaps?? Or would this use much more resources?

Hey, I can't stop the Ghost mode. Whenever I am playing, if I left click on a location on the map grid... I will teleport to it. I think this may be a part of the debug, can you help?

I did some small playtesting with simply giving each individual soldier his own UPSMON "nofollow" Patrol Zone.....and it seems to have worked rather well.

Though, the question of will they still give buddy-aid (first Aid) to one another?? It doesn't appear so.

Okay, I'm not quite getting the ambush function.

Say I want to randomly place a bunch of RPG teams around an area, would I use this:

nul=[this,"wp1","ambush","random","max:",4] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf";

Also whenever I set any group to ambush even with a clear line of sight, they never engage. Isn't that the freaking point of an ambush, they just start muttering stuff. I went into the init and changed the value for a ambush from 50 to 300(the killzone was 200 yards from the RPG team) and still nothing. I can create scripted ambushes that actually work, but that's not what I'm going for. Also do is there a way I can set all clones to ambush? When I do only one group is in the ambush position and the rest just patrol.

Where exactly can I edit how far in distance the AI will radio to one another - I think the default is 700 I read......How can I shorten it?

Update - I found it, within the init_UPSMON file. Is there any harm in adjusting this down to 200 to 300?

Edited by meade95

Where exactly can I edit how far in distance the AI will radio to one another

is not how far AI team1 is from AI team2 but how far team1 and team2 are from the known enemy. UPSMON only considers distance from team to the enemy, not team to team.

5) If you fight on the small area think about lowering the "KRON_UPS_sharedist".

example: If the fight area is a town (600x600) and "KRON_UPS_sharedist = 700;", in the moment you are spotted at the edge of the town

all AI units in the distance 700m from you gets info about your position, and if they are not busy you can expect attack of all units. So in urban fight good idea is set sharedist to 200 or less.

Edited by Rafalski

is not how far AI team1 is from AI team2 but how far team1 and team2 are from the known enemy. UPSMON only considers distance from team to the enemy, not team to team.

5) If you fight on the small area think about lowering the "KRON_UPS_sharedist".

example: If the fight area is a town (600x600) and "KRON_UPS_sharedist = 700;", in the moment you are spotted at the edge of the town

all AI units in the distance 700m from you gets info about your position, and if they are not busy you can expect attack of all units. So in urban fight good idea is set sharedist to 200 or less.

Oh. Got it. Thanks for this info. I went and lowered something else I believe (that I saw set at 600). I will look for the "KRON-UPS-Sharedist" value. Is this a file on its own within the UPSMON script folder? Or within the UPSMON file itself?

edit only variables in Init_UPSMON.sqf

(read the descriptions inside to avoid errors)

also what's the deal with fortify? The AI I place will enter buildings, but won't man the freaking posts, I've tried putting in static weapons and they ignore all of this ****. Isn't that the point of fortification??

also what's the deal with fortify? The AI I place will enter buildings, but won't man the freaking posts, I've tried putting in static weapons and they ignore all of this ****. Isn't that the point of fortification??

?? I've been very impressed by fortify, myself - AI takes smart advantage of homes, high points, etc. They will sometimes even group 2 or 3 in the same house (which can be very surprsing in clearning places). Not sure on the static weapons though. I know they will man static weapons on their own (outside of using fortify) with UPSMON. They do all the time for me.

I've been shocked at how often they will climb up structures for great snipping locations.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Can someone help me out with learning how to move patrol "zones" while in the game.

I would like to have the ability to move my BluFor Zones while in the game play. Have them provide outter type security than move closer to where I'm moving once in the game.

I never noticed any fortify AI ignoring static weapons. Did you verify that this isn't related to some pathing issue or something? Which reminds me, fortify really needs some kind of error check when it comes to pathing, so if an AI tries reaching a building position and fails (says "Sorry, I can't!" in group chat, by the way) he should try and find a different one and repeat until he succeeds. And of course there's the problem where they are often quite quick to abandon their positions.

Well I'm playing on ebank's Kunar Region map, there's combat outposts out in the mountains that I need manned, they're made up of HESCOs and reinforced guard towers.

I've also tried simply taking a template of editor placed objects for a combat outpost and still the AI will not enter these towers. I need them up there so they can actually spot any Takistani militia up in the mountains. I don't get any verbal responses over the radio saying that can't comply.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Also is there a way to place random ambushes? Say this is my init string:

nul=[this,"waypoint1", "ambush","random", "min:",3,"max:",6] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf";

I want to be able to have them completely random so I'm not aware that they're coming. Or do I just have to get rid of "random"?

Well I'm playing on ebank's Kunar Region map, there's combat outposts out in the mountains that I need manned, they're made up of HESCOs and reinforced guard towers.

I've also tried simply taking a template of editor placed objects for a combat outpost and still the AI will not enter these towers. I need them up there so they can actually spot any Takistani militia up in the mountains. I don't get any verbal responses over the radio saying that can't comply.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Also is there a way to place random ambushes? Say this is my init string:

nul=[this,"waypoint1", "ambush","random", "min:",3,"max:",6] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf";

I want to be able to have them completely random so I'm not aware that they're coming. Or do I just have to get rid of "random"?

I belive if you Sync or maybe it is Group several (1 by 1) marker locations with the Leader of the unit you are wanting to place in ambush.....You will not know which area they will spawn at. I do this with indivdual HVTs within towns/cities to give some randomness to finding them.

Also, with your nul=[this,"waypoint1", "ambush","random", "min:",3,"max:",6] - If you just made the "waypoint1" into a larger 200 x 200 (lets say) zone. They would appear randomly throughtout that zone I believe. At least they do while patrolling.

I'm about to use UPSMON on my next project, and i know that some people don't like the fact that some times the AI tries to use vehicles so i would like to make a suggestion:

Allow only pilots class to use choppers and planes and crewman with tanks.

Okay, I've got the hang of it for the most part, but I'm also using the UPS respawn script, after a unit respawns, I want it to adopt the parameters that it had before it died. I'm building a siege mission and I need units to constantly spawn, and move back to an area and get into cover and mounted guns.

nul=[this,"island","fortify","delete:",600] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf"; nul = [this, 3, 10, "spawn1","island"] execVM "AI_respawn_UPS\AI_respawn_UPS_init.sqf";

Is there a way I can set parameters like "fortify", "nofollow", or "random" to the respawn script? Because it seems to me it will only work if it's [this, # of spawns, spawn time, spawn marker, marker to move to] and spawning won't take place unless it's specifically like that

I have no answer to your question THH, but! I did try making a mission where East called UPS and West called UPSMON and both of them would not work together. It appeared that whatever script was called up first was the only one that operated.

If East started moving toward the marker, West would just stand there. I tried this several times in several ways and it appeared that they were not compatible. Just FYI. If you got them both to work I'd be interested in what you're doing to achieve those results.

I have no answer to your question THH, but! I did try making a mission where East called UPS and West called UPSMON and both of them would not work together. It appeared that whatever script was called up first was the only one that operated.

If East started moving toward the marker, West would just stand there. I tried this several times in several ways and it appeared that they were not compatible. Just FYI. If you got them both to work I'd be interested in what you're doing to achieve those results.

Completely bogus. That's the only way I've used this script. Two sides, one against each other, both running UPSMON. Check the missions I've uploaded to the bug tracker a while ago if you want to see it working.

I may not have been clear enough:

I tried running both the original UPS and UPSMON in the same mission--East was UPS, West was UPSMON--and I could not get both AI programs to work together.

Of course UPSMON works on East and West in the same mission, common man. ;)

Edited by tod

They might have some variables with the same names but used in a different way thus mess eachother up. Just use UPSMON on both?...

No it works, but just not the way I'd like it to, the guys that respawn do so it the market I designate, but I want them to haul ass to the marker, not patrol to it. Then I once they get there I want them to fortify, no luck so far, maybe I'll just use UPSMON's respawn function, I'd prefer to have the units actually travel some distance before they get back into the fight so if one side has advanced far into enemy territory it doesn't get trapped with a platoon spawns on it's flank or something.

Fortify grabs building positions near the group leader's starting position, wherever that would be, kind of ignoring the marker. It's an old problem unfortunately :(

I may not have been clear enough:

I tried running both the original UPS and UPSMON in the same mission--East was UPS, West was UPSMON--and I could not get both AI programs to work together.

Of course UPSMON works on East and West in the same mission, common man. ;)

Alright you've been perfectly clear, I've just misread your post. Sorry man (unless someone is rewriting the matrix :j:.)

Is there any other variables I can edit in the init besides the distance away an effective ambush can take place? I'm getting pretty damn frustrated with this function. The AI place mines in their own positions half the time, and WILL NOT ENGAGE.

The marker is set so it only covers the road, they have the supplies to set mines, the init has been changed so that they will use those mines, however they just mumble "truck" or "apc" as they roll past, I'm not in their unit but you can hear them anyways. I want them to be able to carry out the task without me.

Every time I've tried the convoy passes by and I get them to turn around by spraying a mag of 5.556 at them.

Is there any other variables I can edit in the init besides the distance away an effective ambush can take place? I'm getting pretty damn frustrated with this function. The AI place mines in their own positions half the time, and WILL NOT ENGAGE.

check 5.1.0 beta1

Ambush2:

The best expected area (or road) of the enemy convoy is about 80% of KRON_UPS_ambushdist in front of the leader.

Random (up to 3) units try to put mines on the road or area in front of the leader.

Edited by Rafalski