Sign in to follow this  
Monsada

UPSMON - Urban Patrol Script Mon

You can even use multiple sides fighting against eachother. I think you can even see it in the demo mission.

I finally got the upsmon script to work even though when I start the editor to preview it says scripts\upsmon.sqf not found it still runs but the weird thing is I seem to be invisible to the enemy.Is there any way to change it so I'm not invisible?My squad is not invisible so why would I be thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

someone please help this thing is driving me nuts I finally got the upsmon script to work even though when I start the editor to preview it says scripts\upsmon.sqf not found it still runs but the weird thing is I seem to be invisible to the enemy.Is there any way to change it so I'm not invisible?My squad is not invisible so why would I be thanks.

Edited by bravo409

Either save the mission as pbo or put the folder in a zip/rar file and upload it, because it's very hard to tell from your description what you're doing wrong. You're defintiely doing at least 1-2 things very wrong, though.

Is there a way to make the AI position mines around the road instead of always to the

center? most AI convoys miss the actual mine as its too far away from there path! ive tried

everything and always the AI will just put the mine where its not working! lol.

Thanks

Ok I installed everything and it seems to be working. However I put my group on the map, add this

nul = [this, "area1"] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf"

the group moves to the marker named "area1", stops and then does nothing. The debug reports that INSTANCE 1 STUCKED, MOVING

What are you trying to do? You need to add the parameter "random" if you want them to patrol. Is the marker just a point on the map or does it have a radius?

Snip, solved.

Edited by cuel

Is there a way to set the minimum distance for artillery fire? If one squad moves to close to a town, the KRON_UPS_ARTILLERY_EAST_FIRE = true; will fire and that probably means if the other squad that is supposed to destroy the artillery is attacking, they will get bombed.

Another question, if I have an empty vehicle that I fill up with a few units using "this moveinX car", how do I active the upsmon? From the group leader or the vehicle? I've tried both and it didn't work, they don't patrol the area.

Edited by cuel

Quick tip (may want to add this to first post):

If you use a global marker (placed in editor) and use setMarkerPos, then it will keep bouncing between the old and new position as players finish loading the mission and enter the briefing screen (similar issues might happen if someone JIPs right as UPSMON starts on a spawned group, but that's much less likely to happen). This might make UPSMON use it as if it was in its old position.

To avoid this, create the marker locally on the server with createMarkerLocal and use that marker for UPSMON. Don't place the marker in the editor if you plan on changing its position with a script.

Took me a while to figure that one out... Keep in mind this is not really a problem with UPSMON. It might be possible though to update UPSMON to work around the problem by doing some sort of more frequent checks regarding changed marker positions, which will also then make it easier to change squad patrol zones (currently if you move the marker they can take a long time before they realize the marker have moved, and if the old marker position is far away they might go all the way to the old marker position before realizing the marker is no longer there).

Edited by galzohar

Is there a way to set the minimum distance for artillery fire? If one squad moves to close to a town, the KRON_UPS_ARTILLERY_EAST_FIRE = true; will fire and that probably means if the other squad that is supposed to destroy the artillery is attacking, they will get bombed.

Another question, if I have an empty vehicle that I fill up with a few units using "this moveinX car", how do I active the upsmon? From the group leader or the vehicle? I've tried both and it didn't work, they don't patrol the area.

Alright I think I solved the first problem. In Init_UPSMON under Artillery module control I added

if (alive _auxtarget && !(_auxtarget iskindof "Air") && (round([position 
_arti,_targetPos] call KRON_distancePosSqr) <= _range) [b]&& (_arti distance _targetPos) > 800) [/b]then {
										_target = _auxtarget;

Someone tell me if there's a better way. I still haven't figured out the second problem tho.

does KRON_UPS_ARTILLERY_EAST_FIRE = true; need to be publicVariable to work in MP?

If you set it on a client then yes. If on server then it will work without publicVariable.

I have a new person's question.

I am trying to create a mission using UPSMON in basic (but paid for) Arma II. First, awesome job creating this tool. Really great.

Second, is there any way to specifically define what units UPSMON will give orders to? My exact issue is that I have script to spawn a chopper and pick me up at the location I choose in mission, then drop me off at another location I choose. (This an in game choice by the player.) The script works fine alone, it is fsm file called “Support†which allows for spawning and calling in CAS, helicopter transport, arty all during the mission from the communications menu. When I try to run it with UPSMON my problem is the UPSMON commander keeps telling people to heal at the chopper. The chopper then flies over to heal the people as opposed to dropping me where it should.

I was wondering if there is a way to add a line to the Support.fsm of the helicopter script to tell it to ignore the UPSMON or to tell UPSMON to ignore a specific unit or group.

I would try something like

nul=[this,"area0","nowp3â€] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf";

on the chopper init field, but I cannot figure out how to insert it into a unit that does not exist on the editor map but is spawned on command during the mission. Also, not sure if it will mess with the Support script even if I could insert it.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much for your help. I am new at this editing thing and loving every second. And THANKS to the developers!

Garthra

If you create a vehicle through a script instead of the editor use this command:

_helicopter setVehicleInit "nul=[iLikeUPSMONbutdontliketogiverandomwaypointsatmarkerareo0] execVM "supersecretscriptsfolder\folder\folder2\upsmon.sqf"

For moar reading:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setVehicleInit

and no.. you don't need your upsmon script hidden in 3 pointless folders, nor is that an actual parameter for upsmon.

Edited by The Hebrew Hammer

When using UPSMON.......I notice very often no matter how big I make a "ZONE" most enemy AI end up quite near each other (and often start out, quite near me). Is there a way to disperce....to make it so UPSMON doesn't place most units near one another?

Also, I have found one can't use UPSMON as a QRF on call (with a pre determined zone for them to follow once called in my Helo). UPSMON will automatcially make the helo take off (and not wait on radio trigger). UPS on the other hand, does make the unit wait for the radio trigger and then will ride the helo to your QRF zone (then patrol).

Units will patrol the zone... If the zone is big enough there is no reason for them to stick together if they are on separate groups. You did place them as separate groups, right?

Also, never start a player inside the zone unless you manually script the mission so that it is impossible for any enemies to start anywhere near the player's line of sight.

As for QRF, I'm not sure what you want to do exactly, so hard to help you out there.

Units will patrol the zone... If the zone is big enough there is no reason for them to stick together if they are on separate groups. You did place them as separate groups, right?

Also, never start a player inside the zone unless you manually script the mission so that it is impossible for any enemies to start anywhere near the player's line of sight.

As for QRF, I'm not sure what you want to do exactly, so hard to help you out there.

What I'm routinely finding, is, say I make a 500 x 500 zone - I put 10 enemy groups (all with their own UPSMON script) on the map. Most of these units will end up right near each other.....

My QRF situation is just.... Say I want a BluFor QRF to come to a given location (and patrol / engage) but ONLY if I give the QRF radio call......With regular UPS the group will board the chopper (with the get in / load WPs). Then it will stay there until the radio trigger for the Helicopter is called. The helicopter will then come to its unload transport spot....my Blufor QRF will leave the chopper and move to my pre-determined QRF zone. Works pretty simple.

However, when using UPSMON..... The helicopter will not wait for the QRF radio call. It will only wait about 30 seconds and then it will take off on its own and move to the QRF patrol zone.

What I'm routinely finding, is, say I make a 500 x 500 zone - I put 10 enemy groups (all with their own UPSMON script) on the map. Most of these units will end up right near each other.....

My QRF situation is just.... Say I want a BluFor QRF to come to a given location (and patrol / engage) but ONLY if I give the QRF radio call......With regular UPS the group will board the chopper (with the get in / load WPs). Then it will stay there until the radio trigger for the Helicopter is called. The helicopter will then come to its unload transport spot....my Blufor QRF will leave the chopper and move to my pre-determined QRF zone. Works pretty simple.

However, when using UPSMON..... The helicopter will not wait for the QRF radio call. It will only wait about 30 seconds and then it will take off on its own and move to the QRF patrol zone.

Well thats normal if you use the move parameter, you should use "nowp" or "NOMOVE" + reinforcements (when you want then to move, radio call in your case). That parameters should be docummented somewhere if you want more info

Just don't start UPSMON on the QRF forces until you actually need them. UPSMON, unlike UPS, actually sees the chopper as a useable vehicle and chooses to use it to reach the patrol zone. That's why it gets used as soon as you start UPSMON on those units but not when you start UPS.

UPSMON is actually easier in that regard. No need to place waypoints, just don't start the patrol script until you actually want the units to patrol, and UPSMON will create all needed waypoints.

Hi, I recently tried UPSMON and it works like a charm. The only problem I have is that I cannot use it without been in ghost mode.

I always get this message:

arma2oa2011110413113285.jpg

I set KRON_UPS_debug = 0 but I get the message and ghost mode anyways.

Also is there a way to get rid of this message and any other message when I start my mission?

Check the init.sqf file. All it should have (that you haven't written yourself) is a command to start init_upsmon.sqf on the server.

Just don't start UPSMON on the QRF forces until you actually need them. UPSMON, unlike UPS, actually sees the chopper as a useable vehicle and chooses to use it to reach the patrol zone. That's why it gets used as soon as you start UPSMON on those units but not when you start UPS.

UPSMON is actually easier in that regard. No need to place waypoints, just don't start the patrol script until you actually want the units to patrol, and UPSMON will create all needed waypoints.

Very cool - How exactly do I go about this, for a specific unit only? meaning I have plenty of enemy AI using UPSMON script (at the start of the mission)

But for this QRF friendly AI unit.....How do I make so UPSMON isn't activated until I give the radio call?? (and will they automatically use a Helo, if one is near them).

Thanks

When using UPSON on the Tora Bora map - I routinely get all my OPFOR units ending up in the same place amongst one another -

I have Zones say 800 X 800.....and yet I often stumble into large groups together - These groups are placed on the map, seperate from one another with (random) in their placement....

I have found this quite often....It seems the AI all tend to gather and patrol together. Not exactly what I'm looking for...