Sign in to follow this  
Turowicz

What I would change (after playing the series for 8 years )

I am an experienced ofp/arma/arma2 player. Through the years I have seen arma ofp changed in many good and important ways but some things have remained unchanged from ofp that are now OBSOLETE.

I will list the things I would like to be changed in the priority-most-annoying order

0. Action menu

In ofp it did a really good job. There were always 2-3 options so it was easy to follow and quick for use.

The problem is that it makes arma more painful than any other game. There are milions of options on it, and when I for e.g. want to get in helicopter as pilot first I have to find and (what is not always easy) select the proper option which can easily disappear due to mouse movement when using scroll to select option.

It ends with selecting inappropriate option and my soldier selects sidearm or sits down on the ground...

The same thing goes for any other "crucial" action as healing, etc.

There is no "use" action bound key. Check out how briliantly ofp2:dr did it on getting in vehicles. Its the probably only one feature that I like in that ofp2 ;).

Hitman blood money also has great action list solution http://gallery.techarena.in/data/2/medium/Hitman_Blood_Money_7.jpg

I would be satisfied if you figured out a way to make action menu list as simple as possible and as much bound to keys as possible. I know that you are already using 99% of keyboard, so you could implement tricks from ofp2:dr or reengineer them yourself.

If you want to keep it as it is then please just add action-to-key bounding, and display key bounds on action menu.

Action list is a headache. Every time I use it.

1. Weapon customisation.

Since OFP nothing has changed. When you gear up you get a list of milion of milions weapon loadout types and you have to scroll a pretty big list to find what you need. The problem isn't that there are not all combinations to choose from. The problem is saving time, simplicity and personalisation.

What I would be looking from is the system known from Global Ops or Americas Army 2. Select a weapon, select sights, grenade launcher, supressor or whatever there is out there. You are planning Arrow Head with flash lights and lasers? how many loadouts will you have for generate to peapole to choose from? The list will be 300 positions impossible to navigate through.

Choosing a bodypaint would be nice too.

There are few other things I would like too mention but I don't want to make this a too large post for you too read. If you reply I will write some more.

Sorry for my bad English.

Wojciech from Poland. :)

Edited by Turowicz

I like the new blend of old and new action menus in the same game... At first I was very angry because I could not control my men as in ARMA1 but after discovering the hiden menu in the good old style was very happy... What I would like is temporary overrides... as in GET IN THE GOD-DAMNED JEEP!! NOW NOW NOW forget those guys over there we have to go!... I hate that the most... how many time I have been killed because the AI refused to budge. Could just put in the quick menu as "HURRY" or "MOVE IT"

I like the loadout idea would suit all those people who love dressing up their character just right. As in a game like Vegas 2 where half the game is dressing your man and chosing weapons and the game its self is kinda sad...

I like the Idea Turowicz... I also brought up the same topic with the same suggestions few months ago.

Would be nice to see our suggestions in movement.. :)

What I just want to point out that giving suggestions without implementing at least the best of them has not got much sense.

Hidden and Dangerous 2 had a great gearing up system.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

I like the new blend of old and new action menus in the same game...

I thing that commanding in Arma is OK. I was reffering to the action menu, not command menu.

Action menu is the one where you have your activities to choose from, for eg. "Gear up", "Lights on", "reload mag".

The bug doing my nut in is clicking the left mouse button to fire on a target and finding myself ejected from my aircraft and watching our flying bus go down with all the troops in the back

(luckily hasn't happened in MP yet :D).

Also very good point on the endless weapons list caused by different configurations. Selectable items such as lasers, torches, bayonets, scopes, silencers and bayonets would be awesome, especially if you had a limited supply and had to pass them round (i.e. make sure the FAC has the laser, make sure the point man has a torch, etc.)

I would probably change the gear screen back to the "crate items on the left, carried items on the right" instead of "everything in the same screen and green and white letters" rubbish.

I cannot think of ONE reason the gear screen changed. Why am I seeing my stuff on the list when I already see everything in my inventory?

Master gamawa, good point =P

As to the weapon loadouts, I think there was actually a mod that did just that, it was a workaround, but still nice.

I have to say, I really, really hate A2-s gear screen. It's very confusing and hard to work with. It's also terribly slow for some reason (the rest of the game works well.) I wish the A1 gear screen would come back.

Diffenitely agree with both points.

Weapon customization and custom loadouts would be FKN awesome!

Plus its easier on the noobs IE me. ;)

I am pleased to see that you all agree with my arguments. If seen by BIS, maybe in the future, it could inspire their game improvements.

For a software developer, some times it is good to read some other person's thoughts.

for eg. this topic, or such UI guide as this:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000057.html

I am pleased to see that you all agree with my arguments. If seen by BIS, maybe in the future, it could inspire their game improvements.

For a software developer, some times it is good to read some other person's thoughts.

for eg. this topic, or such UI guide as this:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000057.html

Good article.... sums up a few valid points

I second the weapons customisation idea, that will really make ArmA rock and also reduce the number of weapon choice that we have in the menus. also makes mission making simpler and gearing up your characters more interesting.