Sign in to follow this  
rene.obermann

Ground deformation [Feature request to BIS]

This would need that the engine allows dynamic deformation which it can't handle. They would need to completely rewrite the engine, causeing everything else also has to be adapted to the new code. Ande here we are at a point where it leads that in fact it means to completely writing a new Game.

This would need that the engine allows dynamic deformation which it can't handle. They would need to completely rewrite the engine, causeing everything else also has to be adapted to the new code. Ande here we are at a point where it leads that in fact it means to completely writing a new Game.

There iam not sure. But this can answer only anyone from BIS.

There iam not sure. But this can answer only anyone from BIS.

Listen, If Myke says it can't be done. IT CAN'T BE DONE. It would require a brand new engine and therefor a brand new game, as Myke said. People from BIS probably started ignoring you when you posted 19 new threads in the suggestion forum in a couple of hours. Including 4 reposts of the same thing after a thread was closed. Can't you take a hint???

So far I have read the engine cannot support deformation and also cannot support flowing water.

So why are we still working with an engine that does not support some fairly basic things.

I still think that it is really funny when a plane plunges into the ground only to hit a tree and float to the ground like an empty shell and that's it, detracts from the game a lot that sort of thing.

So for me deformed terrain and flowing water would be nice but just make plane crashes more realistic.

So why are we still working with an engine that does not support some fairly basic things.

Because BIS dosn't have the resources to work on an engine capable of these things.

water flowing and terrain deformation aren't 'basic' things. especially within an open ended environnement. (we are not talking about a 500m by 500m zone in a standard FPS here)

water flowing and terrain deformation aren't 'basic' things. especially within an open ended environnement. (we are not talking about a 500m by 500m zone in a standard FPS here)
This.

Alot of people seem to think they can just press a button and put it in the game.

Hi there! what about mod calling ECP on ofp, i remember that and this is nice cause he just add some craters into grounds sometime, when misile our vehicle exploding.

So thats problably posible to make a small mod! am pretty sure peoples will love thats, if somone make it, maybe in Ace mod?

Sorry for my english, speak more french.

There a small video, show what i talk: look at exactly 14sec. the hole!

So far I have read the engine cannot support deformation and also cannot support flowing water.

I still think that it is really funny when a plane plunges into the ground only to hit a tree and float to the ground like an empty shell and that's it, detracts from the game a lot that sort of thing.

So for me deformed terrain and flowing water would be nice but just make plane crashes more realistic.

Because this game fucking rules and this engine is capable of things that no other engine is. People have tried an epic failed at making an engine like this. If I had to choose between running water and aggressive terrain streaming that makes it possible for me to fly over a massive territory with no load times, I choose the latter.

Hi there! what about mod calling ECP on ofp, i remember that and this is nice cause he just add some craters into grounds sometime, when misile our vehicle exploding.

The craters in ECP were just crater models that were "created" above ground at the impact/explosion site.

I think its safe to say that rene.obermann is trolling with all these threads...

Or he has no idea what he's talking about at all..

Seems a neat idea, there again you seem to be sacrificing lots and lots of performance and visual quality. That sort of thing would not really fly in a commercial product. I mean, that was Ramadi. Imagine some other territory?

Well if BI owns/developed the engine then they have the source so there is a possibility that flowing water , deformed craters etc. could be developed for it. Look at how far Windows has come over the years by simply adding/improving already existing code.

Depends on whether or not the developers have the time and inclination to expand the game engine or not.

Well if BI owns/developed the engine then they have the source so there is a possibility that flowing water , deformed craters etc. could be developed for it. Look at how far Windows has come over the years by simply adding/improving already existing code.

Depends on whether or not the developers have the time and inclination to expand the game engine or not.

Look at how far BI's engine has come over the years by simply adding/improving already existing code:

355px-Real_Virtuality_Comparison_Humvee.jpg

You talk as if this is not what BI does!? Expanding the game engine (and actually making games on it) is all BI does do!

As for dynamic terrain... Game engines work on the dichotomy of static and dynamic content.

Some engines, like DICE's Frostbite engine (BF:BC2) is moving more and more things into the "dynamic" category, but to do so they've had to re-invent everything! There's no way they could have achieved this simply by expanding their existing engines. They were able to afford to do this re-write of their engine, because they're in EA's pocket, and EA has the big bucks ;)

Game engines rely on static content, because static content can be computed "off-line", that is, computations for visibility culling, line-of-sight optimisation, collision-detection optimisations, potentially-audible-sets, and most importantly -- level of detail, can all be run by the developers over a period of seconds/minutes/hours and the results pre-computed and packaged into the game data files.

Dynamic data on the other hand, has to do all this at runtime, in the 16 to 33 thousands of a second it takes to draw each frame. That's a much, much bigger challenge, which involves throwing out everything you know about writing a game engine and starting again with an architecture designed specifically for this kind of dynamic content.

If you want to see Arma reach this level, tell your friends to go buy it and the expansion pack so that BI has the $$$ to afford such a massive investment! :D

Edited by ActionMan

I read somewhere that ACE2 (or maybe some other mod) would have ground deformation so much as to being able to use them as cover...

I read somewhere that ACE2 (or maybe some other mod) would have ground deformation so much as to being able to use them as cover...

Apparently not actual ground deformation but 3D craters, similar to what happens when a plane crashes.

So I guess you could call it pseudo-deformation. :)

You talk as if this is not what BI does!? Expanding the game engine (and actually making games on it) is all BI does do!

Interesting info as I'm not really very well versed in exactly how game engines do their job.

Didn't mean to sound like developing the engine wasn't what BI did , meant it to come across as : if BI wants it , and can do it , they will. :o

Interesting info as I'm not really very well versed in exactly how game engines do their job.

Didn't mean to sound like developing the engine wasn't what BI did , meant it to come across as : if BI wants it , and can do it , they will. :o

Lets hope so :D Sorry if I sounded a bit scathing.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is looking really good with all the deformation and destruction... but nobody makes war simulators like BI does. I want the best of both worlds!

Lets hope so :D Sorry if I sounded a bit scathing.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is looking really good with all the deformation and destruction... but nobody makes war simulators like BI does. I want the best of both worlds!

Look for the best of both worlds in 2023.

Look for the best of both worlds in 2023.

No kidding, but by then we'll ridiculously high expectations.

Miley Cyrus has the best of both worlds, or so I've heard.

(forgive me I have a young daughter lol)

Apparently not actual ground deformation but 3D craters, similar to what happens when a plane crashes.

So I guess you could call it pseudo-deformation.

Lol yeah but if Ace team no be there in Arma 2, Arma 2 will be lost forever.

Peoples no thats, and Bis to i things! Bravo! to you, only one things to be add in future Ace, please adds what Bis just removing, tracks shadow and foot prints. :p and am will be ready to play Arma 2 again.